Auburn Sportsmans Club

I'm considering joining. Are there any members who can help me understand a little more about what the shooting facilities here have to offer? The website is pretty scant when it comes to details.

Auburn Sportsman's Club meeting is tonight at 7:00.

If you are not a member but interested, please come. I have on a green sweatshirt and jeans.

If you introduce yourself first, we can get your membership over to the right people and vote on it tonight. If not, next month.

Express your opinions about what you want to do there, and how you are interested in the RKBA.

Thank you.

I would have really liked to stop over to the club to take a look around, check out the facilities, view the rules, etc. before coming to a meeting. Is this a possibility leading into next month's meeting?

Auburn Sportsman's Club meeting is tonight at 7:00.

If you are not a member but interested, please come. I have on a green sweatshirt and jeans.

If you introduce yourself first, we can get your membership over to the right people and vote on it tonight. If not, next month.

Express your opinions about what you want to do there, and how you are interested in the RKBA.

Thank you.

Two and a half years ago and 8 years before I moved to Liecester, a neighboring town of Auburn, I decided I wanted to take up trap again. I had seen the club previously as they hosted a few motorcyle shows so I decided to try a round of trap there. I was told by a lady running the line that I couldn't use my leadshot load and have to buy their steelshot ammo for $25.00 plus the shooting fee as their downrange was over water. There was no club house or benches...just a cut in the brambles and dirt..no tar, cement, or markings for 22 to 26 yard line markers. Otherwise no one even came up to speak with me, welcome me, or even have a signup and scoring card.....OK........ OK..first time let's try..maybe a bad day. I signed up at the same time for a 2nd relay. When it came time for that 2nd relay at 10:30, the gal running it said she had to end the trap session as she now has to tend bar..10:30 om a Sunday morning to boot!!!!...she was the bar keep and trap director. WOW!

I talked to a few other guys there about membership and I swear to on a Bible and the soul of my children that he said "we already have enough members." Membership I found was up to 800+....so obviously a drinking club with which I wanted NO part.

To be fair, I'm sure he was not representative of the club's policy, etc. but it left a bad taste in my mouth and the club couldn't be that badl but first impression last, especially when you want to treally get back into competitive shooting again

I found the Hamilton R&G club while getting lost in Sturbridge looking for the town common and PD. I saw the club enterance and wondered why I had never seen them ever before in the GOAL newspaper of a few years past. Though the club house was closed, there were members in the pistol house . I asked them about the club and they stopped their activities to explain all about the club, took me on a tour of the pistol, rifle, and trap range. The clubhouse was closed as only the Officers and BOD have a key as it does have a bar inside and the clubhouse, bar, and grill is only open for functions, monthly meetings (were the bar only opened AFTER the meeting), and for special events...ice races, Big M.O.E, motorcycle shows, and the car show.

I decided to return that Sunday to the trap range with my lead shotshells. When I arrived, I checked into the trap house, had help signing in and was approached by several members who welcomed me and explained all the facets of their trap relay. The grounds were spacious and clean, tarred and cemens stations with markings going back to 26 yards for handicapped matches, four trap houses, and run by the rangle officer in the high deck chair who kept score and an eye out for any problems. All you did was say 'pull' and the loudspeaker next to you it picked up your voice and out threw the bird. First time I had so much fun and friendly mingling with all, they made me feel like I was a long time shooter there.

After 6 months of Sunday shooting, I attended a monthly club meeting, which non-members cando, and when I got their my jaw dropped. There were women, all ages, children all ages, and members in a huge crowd about 50+ total. Great meeting and a club well administered. I decided to join. I've been a member now three years and hang out there as much as possible, volunteer for the car show, the Big M.O.E in September, Father's Day fishing derby for kids. I have sinced joined the winter .22 bullseye league where again I was welcomed and not as a stranger but as a shooter, a friend. I fire trap every Sunday morning and every other Friday for cheap $. My only regret is that their new skeet range is in the starting process though already planned and engineered.

Sorry for this diatribe but all my life living in Middlesex County, with the exception of Riverside in Hudson, all the clubs were basically drinking clubs...and I think Auburn was one. I base my opinion as a then active police officer & non drinking, knowing what drinkling gun clibs are like, and after looking at Century, Singletary, and Leicester clubs, THIS was the club for me.

Below my signature is the club's web page. Please, take a look at it. I invite anyone to attend a monthly meeting with me and I'll even show you around.

As for getting your Worcester LTC, don't hold your breath. Gemme is 100% anti-gun as is most of the department. I never liked the guy in person when I met him once at a police seminar a few years ago or so.

I feel if you want to have a fair and and legal issuance of your LTC, & you live in Worcester, for God's sakes move out of Worcester..it's not getting any better. HOWEVER, the Worcester Club is a great club (but have no trap facilities) but they had to cancel their pistol league season and as such forfeited the .22 gallery bullseye season as renovation of their range is taking them some time longer to complete as mentioned in the Central MA Sportsmen magazine. (They hoped it would be finished in time for the .22 gallery postal matches ). I hope they will be ready for the season next fall because they are great competition and team.

I apologize to all you members for this diatribe...I just felt very passionate in giving my opinion...perhaps from a point of view from most people may not have as I am a gun owner, competitor, and a now retired police officer who looks at issues a little more critically. My invitation to attend our monthly club meeting stands for those interested. Please take a look at their website, link in address bar below.

P.S. Membership $ is VERY reasonable.....

Frank

Last edited:
Frank, while I don't doubt your experience, I don't think it's appropriate to express your negative opinion of a club you don't belong to which was formed through one experience 8 years ago. Your post would be more appropriate in the Hamilton Rod and Gun Club thread.

I am a current member of Auburn. While I can't speak to trap, I like the rest of the club as a shooter. You had one negative experience based on on aspect of the club.

GE,

Thanks for your reply...I have to respectfully disagree with you as that was my impression at the time and I only state my opinion.....I think anyone who has a major bad expereince with any club should post it and let others decide if it matters to them. What purpose would there be to post on the Hamilton web site? I'm only reporting my experience at the time. Naturally I hope things have changed and as I said in my post, the person who discouraged me probably wasn't an example of the club but I had to move on.

I always investigate where and with whom I associate myself and represent myself as a responsible gunowner. The facts are the facts...lets not hide them like the anti-gunners do...I won't

What matters is that we are gun owners, shooters, competitors that stand together. What club we belong to doen't enter into it.

Last edited:
Frank
I'm sure you know the "Worcester Club" is in Boylston and I have an unrestricted LTC from Worcester from the current chief. I personally know three other people, all neighbors, who have been issued unrestricted LTC's within the last six months.
BTW, I have no intention of moving out of Worcester.

Good descriptive word Frank.
Definition of DIATRIBE

1 : a prolonged discourse
2 : a bitter and abusive speech or piece of writing

OK understand....didn't mean to get you or people riled up and if it sounded that way I extend my hand in apology.....I'll even come to the Auburn Club and shake your hand......no mean intentions meant...we need to stick together.

MacLamb: This is NOT about Hamilton Sportsman's Club. Sure, we appreciate any and all feedback on ASC, but take your sales pitch to the Hamilton thread if there is one.

The current group at ASC is trying to turn things around from what you describe, and I'd say they've done an OK job so far. In the past 5 or so years, we've had many successful Women on Target events, hunter education classes, fishing derbies, and even a "First Shots" event with Sen. Michael Moore. Things are happening at ASC for the better, and maybe you should come back for another look.

That said, there is a board meeting tonight at 7:00, if anyone wants to come by. If someone wants to go early and look around, please do, but check in at the bar first to ask a member to take you. You will also get a sponsor if you head over early and do all the required paperwork in time. Make sure you get a sponsor, have the money, and speak with the membership person before the meeting starts, though.

I'm curious about the membership fees. Are they prorated after a certain point in the year? Worcester Pistol and Rifle is much closer to me but they are at their membership cap and I probably wont be able to get in until March of next year. But since this year is almost half over, does Auburn have prorated fees? That might tide me over through the rest of the year while I wait for March to roll around.

Hey Coyote, I tried to PM you about the club, but your inbox is full.

Well I don't have a sponsor,
And im not sure what the cost is to do a family membership

I'm curious about the membership fees. Are they prorated after a certain point in the year? Worcester Pistol and Rifle is much closer to me but they are at their membership cap and I probably wont be able to get in until March of next year. But since this year is almost half over, does Auburn have prorated fees? That might tide me over through the rest of the year while I wait for March to roll around.

The best bet is to call the bar at 508-832-6492. The web site is Auburn Sportsman's Club

If you want to get together, I'll take you over there, and then sponsor you. I think the meeting is next Monday.

Not that I know of. Family Day in August. I'd prefer to have it more like an open house, where people from outside can see what we do there. It is usually something different than that.

Meeting is tomorrow night. It should be a quick one, due to the Bruins.

I may be there late, as my kid's soccer team, which I coach, is having their year end pizza party before.

What time is the meeting? I visited the club couple of month ago and met Bruce. I Did not have a chance to attend the any of the previous meetings and I don't have a sponsor.

Anything big coming up?

From https://www.facebook.com/ASC1932

We are having a three gun shoot at the ASC on Saturday, June 29th. Sign up is from 8-9am, with the first shot at 9:00am. Once the first shot goes off, there will be no other entries accepted. It is a single elimination shoot. All calibers are welcome, but shotguns require #8 shot. The cost is $10 per person, and it's open to the public. The shoot is being held on the rifle range, so the pistol range will remain open to all other members who choose to use it. There is limited parking, so carpooling is encouraged.

Other upcoming dates:

Jun 29: 3 Gun Shoot
July 20: Wild Turkey Federation
July 28: Kids' Pancake Breakfast
July 29: Woods Walk (14 targets, inline black powder)
Aug 10: Family Day
Aug 31: Women On Target
Oct 26: First Shots

Last edited:
Reminder, in two days:

We are having a three gun shoot at the ASC on Saturday, June 29th. Sign up is from 8-9am, with the first shot at 9:00am. Once the first shot goes off, there will be no other entries accepted. It is a single elimination shoot. All calibers are welcome, but shotguns require #8 shot. The cost is $10 per person, and it's open to the public. The shoot is being held on the rifle range, so the pistol range will remain open to all other members who choose to use it. There is limited parking, so carpooling is encouraged.

https://www.facebook.com/events/168233753348514/?ref=22

I've heard they do public trap in the evenings at ASC, but their site only says Sundays at 11am and "During the Spring and Summer we also open on a week night.".

Anyone know specifically what day/time? Cost per round?

Tuesday nights, maybe 6 or 7 PM. I think there might be more info on their Facebook page. Or, just call the bar. The number is on the bottom of the web page. I think I listed it somewhere here on NES under trap shooting.

Who wants to get together at the range on the morning of July 4, for some celebratory shooting?

If you're a member, bring a guest. If you want to come, contact a member to bring you as a guest.

How does 8:30 sound?

Would anybody be up for breakfast first? Frank&Nancy's is just up route 20 a smidge from Elm Street.

I want to join the club but I don't know any members of the club, I need a sponsor for next Monday's meeting. Is it possible to meet up with somebody this weekend at the club?

Coyote are you working the WOT event this year? Happy to help if they need more people

Yes, but I am away during the organizational pre-meeting on Monday,August 19 at 6PM. Feel free to go in my absence. Just tell them who you are, and remind them you helped out before. They are a good group of people. Call me if you want.

Anyone else up for some range time today?

Too bad you're going to be away for the 19th Coyote. I made my way down there on Friday, introduced myself, and got a sponsor. I'll be there on the 19th for the meeting. Hopefully I'll run into you on site after that.

That, or just chime in here. We should get together a bunch of NES folks at the range some day. You want to help out with Women On Target? If so, go to the pre-meeting mentioned above, and ask them what you can do to help.

Back
Top Bottom