• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Audie L Murphy RIP

I hate to admit this but my wife is one of the people who don’t know. She was excited to tell me she had driven on the Audie Murphy memorial hwy - thinking I’d be interested because he was that ‘cowboy movie actor’. She was a bit surprised when I told her he was the most decorated American soldier in history

A real American hero. Growing up that was a common name heard in our house. Sadly Today most people don’t know who he is.

Seems as though a great deal of history, particularly having to do with war/conflicts is being neglected these days. But not in the eyes of the revisionists who think that tearing down such things as Robert E. Lee's statues or renaming Yawkee Way will make things better.

I had the honor to speak with the pilot of "Bockscar" (Charles Sweeney) many years ago. The words that I remember most from him were to the effect........... for those who doubt the rationale of what we did would have had to "walk a mile in our shoes" during that WW2 time period. He had zero regrets.

Army Good Conduct Medal (only issued to enlisted)

Birth name
Audie Leon Murphy
Born 20 June 1925
Kingston, Texas, U.S.
Died 28 May 1971 (aged 45)
Brush Mountain, near Catawba, Craig County, Virginia, U.S.
Buried
Arlington National Cemetery
Allegiance United States
Service/branch
Years of service
Rank
Service number
  • 18083707 (as enlisted man)[1]
  • 01692509 (as officer)[2][1]
Unit
Battles/wars
  • World War II

Continued

Awards

Medal of Honor ribbon.svg Medal of Honor
Distinguished Service Cross ribbon.svg Distinguished Service Cross
Silver Star Medal ribbon.svg Silver Star Medal (2) <------= !!
Legion of Merit ribbon.svg Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal ribbon.svg Bronze Star (2, 1 "V" device) <------= !
Purple Heart ribbon.svg Purple Heart (3) <------= !!!
Army Good Conduct Medal ribbon.svg Army Good Conduct Medal
U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force Presidential Unit Citation ribbon.svg Distinguished Unit Citation (2) <-----= !!
American Campaign Medal ribbon.svg American Campaign Medal
European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign ribbon.svg European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal (9 campaigns, arrowhead device) <-----= !!!!!!!!! (9!)
World War II Victory Medal ribbon.svg World War II Victory Medal
Army of Occupation ribbon.svg Army of Occupation Medal with Germany clasp
Legion Honneur Chevalier ribbon.svg French Legion of Honour (grade of Chevalier)
Ruban de la croix de guerre 1939-1945.PNG French Croix de Guerre with silver star <----= (with star !)
Croix de guerre 1939-1945 with palm (France) - ribbon bar.png French Croix de Guerre with palm (3) <----= (with palm !!!)
Croix de Guerre 1940-1945 with palm (Belgium) - ribbon bar.png Belgian Croix de Guerre with palm <----= (with palm !)
Fourragère CG.png French fourragère in colors of the Croix de Guerre
Combat Infantry Badge.svg Combat Infantryman Badge <---= (Duh!)
Markesman Weapons Qual Badge.png Marksman Badge with Rifle Component Bar
ArmyQualExpert.JPG Expert Badge with Bayonet Component Bar (Think about this.... a BAYONET BADGE!)
USA - Army Outstanding Civilian Service Award.png Outstanding Civilian Service Medal
Texas Legislative Medal of Honor Ribbon.svg Texas Legislative Medal of Honor <----= My eyes are on you!

Lt. Colonel Hal Moore:
Our Father in Heaven, before we go into battle, every soldier among us will approach you each in his own way. Our enemies too, according to their own understanding, will ask for protection and for victory. And so, we bow before your infinite wisdom. We offer our prayers as best we can. I pray you watch over the young Jack Geoghegan. That I lead into battle. You use me as your instrument in this awful hell of war to watch over them. Especially if they're men like this one beside me, deserving of a future in your blessing and goodwill. Amen.

2nd Lieutenant Jack Geoghegan:
Amen.

Lt. Colonel Hal Moore:
Oh, yes, and one more thing, dear Lord, about our enemies, ignore their heathen prayers and help us blow those little bastards straight to Hell. Amen.

I had the honor to speak with the pilot of "Bockscar" (Charles Sweeney) many years ago. The words that I remember most from him were to the effect........... for those who doubt the rationale of what we did would have had to "walk a mile in our shoes" during that WW2 time period. He had zero regrets.

Only here at NES can you talk about Bock’s Car without explaining it. The Enola Gay takes all the glory.

Just in case someone is wondering, Bock’s Car was the Nagasaki flight.

And just a snot nosed kid running circles around the gerries.

Audie_Murphy.jpg

Audie_Murphy_with_M1_Garand_in_To_Hell_and_Back-e1427366633238.jpg

Pvt. Audie apparently shot, 'Maggies draws' in basic. That had me puzzled, as he was a poor Texas kid from a large sharecroppers family and hunting put meat on the table. Moral is ain't no sport shooting at paper...lol Picking off MG 42/43 nests were much more fun...

My Uncle Howie did the North Africa Campaign , Sicily, Salerno, Nettuno and Anzio bit. But pretty much burnt himself out at Anzio and unfortunately missed Normandy...well I say unfortunately....lol

Back
Top Bottom