• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

August 9th new NICS system

I haven't received any information on my NICS registered email address, though I did hear from the FFL holder that there is a change to the 4473 coming next week. No idea what that change is though.

I guess what i was wondering is if you and I meet at one of our houses and transact a gun sale with a handshake, how is anyone going to know (as long as we both keep our pie holes shut).

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Exactly. This is why I wholeheartedly endorse a private property transaction like our forefathers used to.

How would NICS know that I sold a gun to you?
If a person-to-person sale must be done at a gunstore, and that gunstore is told to run a NICS check on the buyer (you) wouldn't they know then?

I think things are changing, and TPB don't like personal transfers...

You are thinking through a MA lens. 40 of 50 states don't give a shit.

Acquaintance on another forum who works in IT for a nameless 3 letter agency has the inside scoop on a royal cluster **** coming on the 9th of this month? I'll go max out my credit cards at the dealer tomorrow, boys. Can you tell me where I can get some more tinfoil? I need to make hats for the rest of my family.....

Having a BG check sucks but IMHO the way it should work is the system fails open. If it's down everything should proceed by default. That'd make it not go down very often. [laugh]

Speculating here, but my guess is no person-to-person gun sales. All sales through a licensed gun shop.
I think it would be more likely, at least in the short term, to see an elimination of NICS exemptions for certain states. Currently there are several states, mine included, where you aren't subject to a NICS check even if you purchase from a dealer provided certain requirements are met. As an example, in Arizona, if I show my CCW permit to the dealer I am not subject to a NICS check at all.

The new system will probably work like the check when the stock market goes into free fall, that is, when the sales reach a certain level the system will shut down and suspend checks until the level drops back down> [rofl]

Does that mean I would require a AG approved loaded chamber indicator? It could take a desk pop to a whole new level.

If you're doing it right your face, and your raised eyebrows in particular, will indicate that your chamber is loaded and ready to fire.

Acquaintance on another forum who works in IT for a nameless 3 letter agency has the inside scoop on a royal cluster **** coming on the 9th of this month? I'll go max out my credit cards at the dealer tomorrow, boys. Can you tell me where I can get some more tinfoil? I need to make hats for the rest of my family.....

Skip the tinfoil and upgrade to a Faraday cage. You can make it as spacious as you want, and you don't have to worry about chaffing like you do with tinfoil. You're welcome.

To the guys talking about a change to private transactions, remember that background checks only happen at ffl because the federal government wasn't believed to have the power to regulate the activity of intra state activity to the extent of regulating private sales. This is why it is legal under federal law to sell another resident of your state a firearm and ship it to them without ever meeting. As federal law stands now, there is no authority for a private transfer background check.

Purchased a firearm this week and asked the sales clerk (yeah, I know), if the store received a notice about a change/update in NICS on 8/9. The clerk said no and the owner wasn't in the store. However, the clerk logged on to I'm assuming a FFL only website, because the clerk asked another one for the password. The clerk found something on whatever site that was logged on to, but didn't fully understand what the NICS changes were. However, there were other customers in the store, so he couldn't spend too much time on it. What sections he did read off had something to do with the 3-day waiting period and some other updates. Unfortunately, that's all I can add, which isn't much.

I found this attached link for the new NICS system As someone already mentioned, it has something to do with an E-Check system (ezcheck system, maybe similar to MIRCS). It includes a training guide for users, so I'm sure that there will be a learning curve for LGSs and maybe a cluster*** for a while. It also appears to answer the "What sex are you" question that popped up in another thread. It has three answers, male, female, and unknown (see snippet in quotes). [laugh]

UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLYVersion 1.6; August 1, 2016 UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY NICS-DOC-01670-1.6 Page | 16
Field Name
Field Type
Required Field (Y/N)?
Description
Yes
The gender of the subject.
Permitted values include:
• Female
• Male
• Unknown
Birth Date
Dropdown or Text
Yes
The subject’s date of birth, composed of the individual day, month, and year. Must be 8 alphanumeric characters. The DOB may only be provided as MM/DD/YYYY and partials are not accepted.

http://www.nicsezcheckfbi.gov/

Last edited:
The echeck is just the Web based 4473 which replaces the phone call. Faster, easier, less error prone. Every ffl should use it so they don't need as many actual people until we get rid of background checks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom