Auxiliary police officer.

wasralex22

NES Member
I believe it was posted before. But, I'm curious as how you would go about introducing yourself to the Chief letting him know you're interested in becoming a member of the auxiliary force. Would an email be appropriate? Maybe just setting up a meeting.

Before volunteering, I suggest sitting down and getting an understanding of what the job expectations are, limitations, with or without police powers of arrest, armed or not, etc.

Different towns treat the subject differently.

Per MGL (which PDs rarely follow), Aux. PD is supposed to fall under the Civil Defense agency in town and answer directly to them, no police powers and no weapons.

Many/most PDs have the Aux. POs reporting to the FT PD, directing traffic at churches, "volunteering" (mandatory) at all the road races, various town events, unpaid, no weapons and no arrest powers. Check to see if they outfit you or if you have to pay for your own uniform and gear (I did and the shirts/pants cost $40-80 each, so it gets expensive to be a volunteer).

Some may require that you be on the Civil Service roster and use you to screen for permanent PO candidates.

In every case you are cannon fodder, no coverage if injured/killed on duty, etc.

----------------------

I was a Reserve PO, with full police powers, armed, trained, etc. But for 17 yrs I was REQUIRED to give up my July 4th holiday (used to be 3 days of "volunteer" work in town, ~16 hrs on duty) every year. I had to get "special permission" to skip one year as it was my MIL's 65th Birthday so I could be with my Family. This was in addition to many Saturdays and Sundays as well as evenings, Halloween and other events/holidays each year.

Like Len stated some places like when I was on the Somerville AUX back in the 90's did a lot. we were armed,went out on patrol,and went threw some good training.Some other towns your just an unpaid crossing guard.Here is a picture of me back in the early 90's.

Attachments

• BNB.jpg
    BNB.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 311
Like most of the guys said...it boils down to what town/city your interested in working, figure that out and the rest falls into place. I work for a great PD part time and they treat us great. Best of Luck.

The auxillaries generally have their own command structure (with the head of the auxillary being somewhat below the newest rookie regular officer in the pecking order).

If you want to join that group, it would be worthwhile finding out who the head auxillary is and talking to that person.

Not getting paid to do traffic detail; I didn't even realize that was an option.

The auxillaries generally have their own command structure (with the head of the auxillary being somewhat below the newest rookie regular officer in the pecking order).

If you want to join that group, it would be worthwhile finding out who the head auxillary is and talking to that person.

Talk with both the police chief and the leader of the auxiliary. You are likely to get 2 very different stories as to what your costs (loss of family holidays, time commitment/obligations to volunteer, cost of gear out of pocket, etc.) and what you'll be allowed to do. Base your decision to volunteer or not after analyzing this info, ask lots of questions.

The following is almost 30 yr old info but I was recruited by Wayland PD back when I was at DEC (and looking towards moving to that area). Their auxiliaries back then were armed, they outfitted you at no expense, if you volunteered to be on the marine rescue unit they would provide PADI training as a diver, etc. They seemed to have their stuff together. However they expected something like 4-8 hrs/week commitment to be an auxiliary. If we had found a house in that area I would have jumped at their program in a heartbeat, but that never came to pass.

Not getting paid to do traffic detail; I didn't even realize that was an option.
Generally only after all officers eligible for paid status have declined the assignment.
Like Len stated some places like when I was on the Somerville AUX back in the 90's did a lot. we were armed,went out on patrol,and went threw some good training.
Not sure of the dates - did you know a female officer who liked to swear a lot and had either AIRCRW or DVC as the plate on her Caddy?

I would do it unpaid, unarmed if they gave me squad car and let me pull over distracted drivers

You can speed (if done safely) through my town, I'ill even forgive lack of turn signals, but if you're on your phone, weaving all over the road I'm going to ticket you........

when you're driving you should drive. [frown]

harry
[rofl]

Generally only after all officers eligible for paid status have declined the assignment.

At all sorts of road races, July 4th festivities, etc. I directed traffic for hours on end all unpaid. My brass (captain, lts, sgts - all Reserve POs) would stand in a cluster while us (Reserve Patrolmen) would be out there directing traffic.

The deal we had was that if no FT PO took a paid detail/shift, we could sign up for it no earlier than 48 hrs in advance and we were subject to being bumped by any FT PO up to the time we left our house for the detail/shift. We also got all the paid road jobs/details that were undesirable.

- I was asked to take a telco road job since a blizzard was predicted (yup it hit hard a couple hours into the detail) on our main street (very busy road). No FT PO wanted to work outdoors in a blizzard.
- I was specifically asked to work a party detail at a Veteran's hall (family rented it for the event) and when I arrived at the PD I was told that they had intel that a gang intended to bust up the party. I spent the entire time in the parking lot to ensure that it didn't happen!
- I was asked to direct traffic at the polls . . . 8 hours with no relief, no lunch (provided free to the FT POs and others working the polls, but not the Reserve PO) . . . turned out to be the largest election turn out in history when it happened. Traffic to the high school was backed up >1/2 mile. The paid inside details were all taken by the FT POs.

So the key is to know what you are getting into.

- - - Updated - - -

I would do it unpaid, unarmed if they gave me squad car and let me pull over distracted drivers

You can speed (if done safely) through my town, I'ill even forgive lack of turn signals, but if you're on your phone, weaving all over the road I'm going to ticket you........

when you're driving you should drive. [frown]

harry
[rofl]

Many PDs will NOT give ticket books to auxiliary/reserve/special POs! So you can't cite them for anything.

I would do it unpaid, unarmed if they gave me squad car and let me pull over distracted drivers.

This^^^^
Generally speaking, I don't care for cops, but I also realize that I would be one of the *******s that everyone hates if I was given the ability to ticket people. No turn signal, running stop signs and red lights, texting and generally driving like an idiot make my blood boil. I'd be going through three ticket books per shift.....lolol.

Like Len stated some places like when I was on the Somerville AUX back in the 90's did a lot. we were armed,went out on patrol,and went threw some good training.Some other towns your just an unpaid crossing guard.Here is a picture of me back in the early 90's.

Hmmmmm....Somerville PD in the early 90s? I bet you knew the infamous Vozzella brothers.......

Hmmmmm....Somerville PD in the early 90s? I bet you knew the infamous Vozzella brothers.......

Hopefully not a Robert Vozzella . . . someone I knew in college but haven't seen since we graduated. Bob was originally from Boston, no idea where he went after that.

Gas was a 1.09 ..WOW

Hopefully not a Robert Vozzella . . . someone I knew in college but haven't seen since we graduated. Bob was originally from Boston, no idea where he went after that.

Bobby and John, but they are closer to my age so probably not your guys Len, which is a good thing. Had social media existed back then like it does now, "Go Time" probably would have already happenned lol

Along with having to do all the parades in that town for free the town a friend of mine is a special in has to do x number of "walking beats" through the town center each year along with x number of hours at the station either behind the desk learning how to do it or in a patrol car with a FT officer. You have to do in-service training each year which comes out of your own pocket. Pay to put yourself through an intermediate academy which i believe was around $1200 when my friend went. Buy all of your own gear and firearm that is required. You have to qualify with your firearm each year, but in the end after like an initiating period you get the opportunity to do paid details. You do get "sworn in" for the town. This is information i know from one town, not sure if others are all the same or if they differ.

My main reason for venturing into auxiliary, is to see if I really like it. Ie, being in law enforcement. Yes, I could the civil service test, but I know guys with military experience in high schools that have been waiting for two years. Where guys who are auxiliary, have proven themselves to the department and have moved up quite quick.

This^^^^
Generally speaking, I don't care for cops, but I also realize that I would be one of the *******s that everyone hates if I was given the ability to ticket people. No turn signal, running stop signs and red lights, texting and generally driving like an idiot make my blood boil. I'd be going through three ticket books per shift.....lolol.

I would spend all my time giving out littering tickets to the *******s who flick cigarette butts out their window. I would be the worst cop ever.

My main reason for venturing into auxiliary, is to see if I really like it. Ie, being in law enforcement. Yes, I could the civil service test, but I know guys with military experience in high schools that have been waiting for two years. Where guys who are auxiliary, have proven themselves to the department and have moved up quite quick.

There are still a good number of non civil service towns. If you can get the academy under your belt and are not an *******, you would have s good shot. Being a vet helps also.

Unless you have a degree in CJ, are a vet and a resident, civil service appointments are very hard to get

I am obtaining my degree. I've always had the want to join the military. However, I know speaking with recruiters, the numbers are to high and they're turning people away. I've looked at several towns, heck even Fallriver PD is looking for auxiliary officers I hear. I guess I'll just make it a point to write an email or two and make myself known.

Not sure of the dates - did you know a female officer who liked to swear a lot and had either AIRCRW or DVC as the plate on her Caddy?

There was one girl I once went out on patrol with she was quit,and I never saw her again.Then there was Laurie Kraynick she only did the range.You could say she had a way about her a little on the strong side,but you have to understand she was still in a mostly mans world at that time.As far as I can remember she was a good shot,and instructor.

Hmmmmm....Somerville PD in the early 90s? I bet you knew the infamous Vozzella brothers.......[/QUO

I don't remember anyone by that name,I was looking at an old roster from 94,and their name was not on it.If they were Regular cops I really didn't know many of them,and they really didn't care much for us.

At all sorts of road races, July 4th festivities, etc. I directed traffic for hours on end all unpaid. My brass (captain, lts, sgts - all Reserve POs) would stand in a cluster while us (Reserve Patrolmen) would be out there directing traffic.

The deal we had was that if no FT PO took a paid detail/shift, we could sign up for it no earlier than 48 hrs in advance and we were subject to being bumped by any FT PO up to the time we left our house for the detail/shift. We also got all the paid road jobs/details that were undesirable.

- I was asked to take a telco road job since a blizzard was predicted (yup it hit hard a couple hours into the detail) on our main street (very busy road). No FT PO wanted to work outdoors in a blizzard.
- I was specifically asked to work a party detail at a Veteran's hall (family rented it for the event) and when I arrived at the PD I was told that they had intel that a gang intended to bust up the party. I spent the entire time in the parking lot to ensure that it didn't happen!
- I was asked to direct traffic at the polls . . . 8 hours with no relief, no lunch (provided free to the FT POs and others working the polls, but not the Reserve PO) . . . turned out to be the largest election turn out in history when it happened. Traffic to the high school was backed up >1/2 mile. The paid inside details were all taken by the FT POs.

So the key is to know what you are getting into.

- - - Updated - - -

Many PDs will NOT give ticket books to auxiliary/reserve/special POs! So you can't cite them for anything.

......it was a joke....

I believe it was posted before. But, I'm curious as how you would go about introducing yourself to the Chief letting him know you're interested in becoming a member of the auxiliary force. Would an email be appropriate? Maybe just setting up a meeting.

I applied to my current Aux. department 3 times. No response. Once saw my Aux. chief in a Panera and walked right up in and introduced myself. Got an interview and got on. My thoughts are don't be a pest, but to the extra mile and find a way for the agency to get to know you. Ride Alongs. Information sessions. Public events etc. be squared away away and have your application documents, resume and cover letter ready to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't waste your time. LE is not a good job these days, hasn't been for quite a while, and you won't know if you like it or not (being full time LEO), because you won't get the submersion of it all being Aux. If you want to do something for free be a volunteer FF, and go that route.

My honest .02, but you asked. Run. Far away from any LE type job.

Don't waste your time. LE is not a good job these days, hasn't been for quite a while, and you won't know if you like it or not (being full time LEO), because you won't get the submersion of it all being Aux. If you want to do something for free be a volunteer FF, and go that route.

My honest .02, but you asked. Run. Far away from any LE type job.

Cams is correct. It has changed drastically and none of it for the better. During our Veteran's Day event in town I was talking with some officers and stated that I wouldn't want to do that job today and they all agreed.

Also PT POs have ZERO coverage if they get hurt on the job or sued for some alleged action/inaction. As my first chief admitted this to me way back when (I was young and stupid). If injured you can't get Worker's Comp since you don't draw a salary on the job (e.g. 60-70% of $0.00 is still $0.00). State law also (I was told) limits a town's liability for any OTJ accidents that happen (a good friend, FT PO, was rear-ended in the cruiser while stopped for a pedestrian, he was left with 6-figure medical bills that the town didn't have to pay). You have no union legal coverage in case of a lawsuit and if KIA you get nothing from the town since you aren't really an employee.

Great deal, huh! Especially today when everyone videos your every action and sues for any and everything you do or don't do.

There was one girl I once went out on patrol with she was quit,and I never saw her again.Then there was Laurie Kraynick she only did the range.You could say she had a way about her a little on the strong side,but you have to understand she was still in a mostly mans world at that time.As far as I can remember she was a good shot,and instructor.
Actually, Laurie is like that in every day life. I made a deal with her years ago - fix her computer for a kidney. I haven't tried to collect since she is still a chain smoker and that tends to degrade the vasculature.

Think long & hard about why you want to be an aux-LEO. As soon as you are "Police", you are a potential target. Unless you are being paid, and are a "real LEO", I'd stay away from the position of "aux-LEO".

Back
Top Bottom