Auxillary/ Reserve carry weapon?

Do you guys know if your town specs out in the SOP what the auxiliary or reserve guys have to carry while on duty?

I would say that in most cities/towns the PD would specify exactly what you can carry on duty. Some may supply the gun and some may dictate that you buy your own . . . which could be a legal issue wrt the current EOPS "position" that MA LEOs can't OWN any large-cap post-ban mags and can't carry even the issued post-ban large-cap mags off-duty (must leave them at the PD according to EOPS)! Although I call bullshit on this "position", my opinion means nothing to EOPS lawyers or to any DA out there.

When I was a Reserve PO, I owned all my own gear and had my chief authorize what I carried, which was different from what the FT POs carried (but theirs was supplied by the PD).

Ive talked with a buddy in the town and that is what he thinks. I had to pay for the class, buy all my gear, and at the end of the class we have range time and need to qualify. My buddy thinks that what ever i qualify with is the gun that i would carry when working. Im just trying to figure it out a little and if i have to buy a pistol, because i only have a compact 9mm, what do i want to buy a qualify with.

The auxilary I volunteer for said carry whatever you want! Pretty pumped ..gen4 glock 17 with a tlr1s

Sad, IMO, in PA any "municipal" employee can report a crime, if the incident results in a conviction, the municipal employee gets a reward of 500-700.00 dollars. I see the need for cops declining with the nosey town nellies trying to supplement their income's. Just as everyone with a cell phone becomes an empowered ass if what they view as unacceptable get's someone else in trouble, reporting what they consider DV, loud arguments, and other crap thats none of their business.[wink] Go back to HS! I just learned this w/some recent chat with a PA "worker". Why would anyone spend their own cash to play PO? Good Luck!

The aux I work for I do PAID details, as well as my ft job at the sheriffs department PAID details. I do it for the details, giving back to the community and having something for my résumé. And make some some connections. If your just starting out in law enforcement like I am and want to move on to a municiple or state department an auxilary jobs helps you even get points on the civil circus test

Has this rule ever come out in print anywhere public?

I would say that in most cities/towns the PD would specify exactly what you can carry on duty. Some may supply the gun and some may dictate that you buy your own . . . which could be a legal issue wrt the current EOPS "position" that MA LEOs can't OWN any large-cap post-ban mags and can't carry even the issued post-ban large-cap mags off-duty (must leave them at the PD according to EOPS)! Although I call bullshit on this "position", my opinion means nothing to EOPS lawyers or to any DA out there.

When I was a Reserve PO, I owned all my own gear and had my chief authorize what I carried, which was different from what the FT POs carried (but theirs was supplied by the PD).

Has this rule ever come out in print anywhere public?

What "rule"?

Some PDs issue department policies that lists/specifies what can be carried on (or off) duty.

As for the EOPS "position", there is that undated/unsigned memo that GOAL has on their website and was widely distributed. I'm pretty sure that some Emails/messages were sent out over LEAPS to departments as well (no proof here) and other less public means of correspondence.

Most PDs have a certain issued weapon. Unlike Florida or other states which have approve lists that officers can choose, most PDs I know of issue weapons even if you have to buy one most people buy the same weapon issued to full timers. I will say that with the new laws if you are carrying off duty do yourself a favor keep your duty mags at home/range use and buy a couple 10 round mags for off duty carry.

My mistake,[wink] I no not of the circumstance. I'd just ASSumed it sounded like aux "cop-wanna-b". It still sounds odd, that somehow a sourced dept. cannot handle their premium work load, and premium details are being shrugged off by the dept's own personnel, with the economic conditions being what they are today. (shrug) I'd thought civil service tests still had strict guidelines, but that sounds like a winning strategy adding points to those already qualified in some way other than veterans. Good luck!

Like devenob, I used to work paid details and even some paid shifts, when none of the FT officers wanted them or were unable to take them. That was admittedly a long time ago now.

Even today, from listening to the scanner, there are more details available than officers able to fill them and work goes to outside agencies, the Sheriffs Dept, or even left unfilled. There are work rules in place that limits how much OT/detail hours an officer can work in a week. The union wanted the equivalent of 16 hr days x 7 days/week and it went to arbitration and the union lost. My former department has over the years given preference and hired many who started out as Reserve POs in the department, so that has largely worked out well for those that wanted to get a FT LE job here.

I was wondering about the LEO off duty high cap mags. Should have worded it better. Thanks for answering both.

What "rule"?

Some PDs issue department policies that lists/specifies what can be carried on (or off) duty.

As for the EOPS "position", there is that undated/unsigned memo that GOAL has on their website and was widely distributed. I'm pretty sure that some Emails/messages were sent out over LEAPS to departments as well (no proof here) and other less public means of correspondence.

When I was an aux (8 years ago)I had the option of any double action only 40. Dept had glock 23's so I bought a glock 23. I did not want to buy anything flashy or seem like a takleberry [smile]. I bought preban mags just to be safe for off duty carry. Ymmv...

Back
Top Bottom