B-2 Crashes at Whiteman; No Injuries, But Status of Operations Withheld

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Sept. 16, 2021 | By John A. Tirpak
A B-2 bomber is lying damaged on the side of the runway at Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo., after a crash early Sep. 14. Air Force Global Strike Command is withholding information about the condition of the aircraft and the operational status of Whiteman’s sole runway, but no one was injured in the mishap.

The unidentified aircraft—most of the 20 B-2s are named for a state—“experienced an inflight malfunction during a routine training mission” at about 12:30 a.m. local time, an AFGSC spokeswoman said. It was damaged on the runway “after an emergency landing,” she said. There were no personnel injuries and no fire as a result of the accident, and no munitions were aboard the aircraft, she said. Further details will be provided after an investigation.

Global Strike Command issued a notice to Airmen (NOTAM) shortly after the accident to keep at least six miles away from the base. The initial notice said the airspace would be restricted through Sept. 17. The reason for the NOTAM was given as “to provide a safe environment for accident investigation.”

Really? There may be a reasonable cause of this incident, likely none of which has anything to do with battle-readiness.
Anything's possible, but my guess what happened would be similar to USS Fitzgerald's collision incident, with the root cause being carelessness and/or negligence.

I was gonna go with more transparency and dumping unknowns from the stan there to do what they are going to do. But hey, you can't be right all the time.

And why are there sat images? Big tech providing comfort to the enemy again. Gen. Milley Vanilley?

Yet another stellar example showcasing the high level of battle-readiness of our military. I hope the bomber proudly displayed a rainbow flag on it.

Anything's possible, but my guess what happened would be similar to USS Fitzgerald's collision incident, with the root cause being carelessness and/or negligence.

Have you ever been on an aircraft accident investigation team?

I am going with a left main landing gear truck failure during the landing phase.
That looks like minor damage from what I can see. No I am not on accident board team.

I wouldn’t be so sure with a B2. These planes won’t fly without computer input. Just think about the yaw and stability controls. The last crash, if I recall, involved heavy rains infiltrating sensors which confused the flight controls and it then stalled.

I read it's only the third incident since 1991. So I would say that is a damn good safety record.

On another note I assume those are all vehicles parked around it, if so that thing is huge!

Most military aircraft, fighters included, are deceptively large. I remember when Tyndall Air Force Base got hit by hurricane Michael, people were up in arms that F-22’s were left behind and damaged. “Why the heck didn’t they put em on flatbeds and truck ‘em out!?!”

Because they’re pretty damn big!

1FC8F5C4-A5A2-4B67-8044-BD564A295A88.jpeg
7DE9D965-4912-453F-BFEF-AEA0C01D7CEC.jpeg

Most military aircraft, fighters included, are deceptively large. I remember when Tyndall Air Force Base got hit by hurricane Michael, people were up in arms that F-22’s were left behind and damaged. “Why the heck didn’t they put em on flatbeds and truck ‘em out!?!”

Because they’re pretty damn big!

View attachment 524135
View attachment 524136
Yep, they are. Here's my up-close with a B-2:
1631982872039.png
1631982923070.png

Yet another stellar example showcasing the high level of battle-readiness of our military. I hope the bomber proudly displayed a rainbow flag on it.
Maybe they'll put it up on cinder blocks.

"Global Strike Command issued a notice to Airmen (NOTAM) shortly after the accident to keep at least six miles away from the base. The initial notice said the airspace would be restricted through Sept. 17. The reason for the NOTAM was given as “to provide a safe environment for accident investigation."

Do these things carry nucular devices?

Back
Top Bottom