Back-up Weapon

If you do carry a BUG while on duty and have no issues with disclosing that information then I would love to know what it is. (I'd imagine we all know WHY you carry what you carry, though a little spiel on what you like about the weapon would be nice.)

Don't feel the need to post how or where you carry your BUG, as a matter of fact you probably should not tell anyone where you do. However, if you feel so inclined to let the forums know then go for it.

If you do not carry a BUG then that's all good as well, quite a few guys that I know do not carry and I have nothing but respect for them as well. (The guys that decide to not wear their vests are another story, but that's for a different post.)

I'll get the ball rolling:

Sig P232 located in an ankle holster.
I chose the P232 because it is a small and reliable weapon, a little on the pricey side however! It is spot on accurate and that makes it worth carrying the little .380 to me. Plus, on my ankle it can get a little gunky, picked up the stainless model and it holds up to grime well.
The reason for the ankle holster is so that I can draw while in a vehicle. I don't feel comfortable in a vehicle with my current options. Shotgun above me would take too long and is cumbersome inside a vehicle, if not impossible. Service weapon is in a difficult location while sitting. Ankle is perfect, just make sure you have a latch on the ankle holster so your BUG doesn't tumble out during a foot pursuit.

I know that Lynn PD now authorizes the Glock 27 as a BUG.
Smaller version of the issued G22.
Officer must purchase, PD supplies the letter and you must qualify with both guns, every 3 months I believe.

What I carry:
Sig239
Kel-Tec P3AT
S&W 500

Hopefully I'll add my AR pistol in the next few months.

Big Daddy
I thought that you had your wife carrying your Smith 500 as a back up.

She asked. The head Firearms Instructor said no.
She even let him shoot it. Gave him the 4" and a box of ammo.
Got the gun and ammo back, minus only 3 rounds. Said he didn't want to shoot it all. [rofl]

I work armed security, carry a Glock 31 (full sized .357), and haven't found a BUG option for my Glock 33 (subcompact .357) that works year round.

Vest carry worked for awhile, but I lost 40 pounds, so the vest doesn't sit right and makes the holster stick out. I tried pocket carry in the cargo pocket of the pants, but in a cheap Uncle Mike's holster (I know, I know, flame me), but anytime I'd run or get jolted it'd move. Bought a Bootlock holster, put it on and thought it was awesome, until I couldn't pull my pant leg down over the holster and the boot, not enough room. Thunderwear lasted one shift...it's a heck of a lot different with a duty belt than it is simply with regular pants and belt.

So for now my backup is my fists of fury, but I'm going to try a quality pocket holster one more time before giving up on it for good.

To those of you who ankle carry, what brands do you use? And with what kind of footwear?

I work armed security, carry a Glock 31 (full sized .357), and haven't found a BUG option for my Glock 33 (subcompact .357) that works year round.

Vest carry worked for awhile, but I lost 40 pounds, so the vest doesn't sit right and makes the holster stick out. I tried pocket carry in the cargo pocket of the pants, but in a cheap Uncle Mike's holster (I know, I know, flame me), but anytime I'd run or get jolted it'd move. Bought a Bootlock holster, put it on and thought it was awesome, until I couldn't pull my pant leg down over the holster and the boot, not enough room. Thunderwear lasted one shift...it's a heck of a lot different with a duty belt than it is simply with regular pants and belt.

So for now my backup is my fists of fury, but I'm going to try a quality pocket holster one more time before giving up on it for good.

To those of you who ankle carry, what brands do you use? And with what kind of footwear?

what about something like a p3at or kahr pm9?

Back
Top Bottom