Background Check Delay

Can somebody explain to me why my background check is taking so long? I submitted my application and prints to the Ipswich Police Department in mid-September. The other guys I took the class with submitted their information to the same department around the same time and they got their licenses at around 40 days. I've contacted the status hotline several times and it's "still under review by the Ipswich Police Department." I do have a couple of things on my record in Boston but all charges were dismissed over 20 years ago. Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue? Should I file an appeal despite not receiving an "official" denial? Thanks.

You know there is a 40 day deadline in the law [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Most delays are the local PD sitting on it. But the FRB status in that case is usually something about it being printed and sent to the PD. This sounds different.

Where any of those charges convictions? And even a dimissale can be grounds for a suitability denial.

In reality Sept. isn't really that long.

You know there is a 40 day deadline in the law [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Most delays are the local PD sitting on it. But the FRB status in that case is usually something about it being printed and sent to the PD. This sounds different.

Where any of those charges convictions? And even a dimissale can be grounds for a suitability denial.

In reality Sept. isn't really that long.
No convictions. I even have all of the original paperwork but I guess they need them to come from the court system.

They're still waiting on information from the Boston courts. This was in an email from the officer responsible for giving the yes or no on licenses.
So something on your record isn't clear. Do you still have the court docs from 20 years ago, you may need them.

No convictions. I even have all of the original paperwork but I guess they need them to come from the court system.
Good, you may need them. Was it a dismissal or a CWOF/dismissed?

If there an issue you would do well to at least talk to a lawyer.

Not to go too far off topic but it is infuriating that a citizen who has never been convicted of anything, never spent a day in jail, is being denied a constitutional right.
This while criminals are being summarily released from prison "due to the pandemic" and rapists, murderers and child molesters that remain behind bars will be vaccinated long before the average law abiding members of the community ever will be.

Here's my thought process, and I could be totally wrong, and I am NOT a lawyer.
If there was a record with a clear disqualifier the state would have denied you. So I'm thinking the LO saw something in the record he is concerned about and might go the unsuitable path. You can just wait and see, or you can talk to a lawyer now, who knows he may just say wait and see. I have a biased viewpoint and would at least talk to a lawyer, once you get a denial you are stuck and have to explain it every time, even if you do eventually get it overturned.

Ok thanks for that info. Well then, why do you ask here, how can the gunmen here intercede in your problematic history?

Ok thanks for that info. Well then, why do you ask here, how can the gunmen here intercede in your problematic history?
I wasn't asking for any sort of intercession. I'm not expecting anyone to take any action but I do appreciate the feedback. I was simply asking if anyone was experiencing a similar issue. I suppose I'll wait it out a bit longer and see how things pan out. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom