Backpacking gear for a newb

Id like to try out some backpacking trips in the White mountains. I figure I'll start by dabbling in some (2 day) over night treks. Ive camped before but choosing backpack gear seem a bit more critical. Ive researched until Im dizzy but its still tough to know what gear to choose.

Where to start? What size pack do I want? I dont mind spending some money on quality, if its stuff Im going to keep and will work for me in the long run. Conversely, Ive also considered just buying some cheaper gear, stop analyzing everything and get out on the trails. Then, upgrade over time as necessary.

Any comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

Go to EMS in N. Conway. I find EMS branded gear to be good quality at good prices, especially when on sale. REI is a bit of a ripoff. No need to go crazy high end with your gear. Go big with the pack, and find a comfortable suspension that fits you. Focus on lightweight everything! Sleeping pad is key. One or even 2 pads, e.g. self inflating thermarest type, plus rigid foam.

I found that you never stop tweaking your gear but for me the most important thing is a pack that fits your back. It doesn't have to be expensive but it does have to fit you. Good balance and comfortable straps go a long way too but all this is personal and you have to try them on yourself. For me lightweight is nice but secondary to fit.

The size of the bag depends on the rest of your gear. It needs to be able to hold something to sleep in, on and under. Then something to eat, eat off and cook with. Something to clean water and store it. A map of the area, a compass, some rope for a bear bag, first aid basics and something to carry trash. If you have a huge sleeping bag and tent you'll need a big pack. If you have a hammock, tarp and goose down bag then a smaller bag will do.

For a 2 day trip you can raid Wal-Mart for cooking gear. If it's warm the small butane cookers work well. The Coleman mess kits are heavy but have everything are easy to take care of.

If you can get an ultralight cold weather sleeping bag that would be something you won't regret. They take more space than everything else you'll bring on a short hike. You can pile up leaves under a tarp for shelter but it's hard to find a shortcut for a good bag.

For water I use this...
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produ...ocphy=9001778&hvtargid=pla-308859112483&psc=1

My friend uses this and I'm thinking of switching because he can get water from a puddle. My squeeze bag isn't as good.
MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter | REI Co-op

Good luck

Ive also considered just buying some cheaper gear, stop analyzing everything and get out on the trails. Then, upgrade over time as necessary.
This is exactly what I did and it worked out perfectly.
Go cheap on everything except for:
-shoes (I use merrell. Im sure there are better out there but Im so happy with them I dont look elsewhere)
-backpack (get a good one and make it last, and learn to fit it properly so the weight is on your hips, not your shoulders!)

-everything else is cheap for me: hammock tent, hydration reservoir, sleeping bag, wool socks, convertible hiking pants, stove + aluminum mug, headlamp, water filter, etc.

For backpack size, I would recommend 45-50 L capacity of the "top-down" type (not zippered like a school packpack). Make sure it has useful features like waist pockets, straps to hold hiking poles, etc.
You'll to learn to lighten your load, and bring what you need and put away what you don't need.

A good starter backpacking trip would be the Bonds in the Lincoln woods area. Guyot Campsite is very popular.

Also, taking your morning shit against a tree is one of the most liberating feelings in the world.

Go to EMS in N. Conway. I find EMS branded gear to be good quality at good prices, especially when on sale. REI is a bit of a ripoff. No need to go crazy high end with your gear. Go big with the pack, and find a comfortable suspension that fits you. Focus on lightweight everything! Sleeping pad is key. One or even 2 pads, e.g. self inflating thermarest type, plus rigid foam.

Yes. Definitely. I will do my best to minimize weight, while balancing with cost and comfort.

From what I've heard, it's good to roll in the whites 3 seasons capable. It can get foul quick.
You might want to figure that in to all purchace plans.

Also, taking your morning shit against a tree is one of the most liberating feelings in the world.

Choose you tree wisely lest you end up in the poo.

Yes. Definitely. I will do my best to minimize weight, while balancing with cost and comfort.

Ounces is pounds...pounds is pain.

Bob

I found that you never stop tweaking your gear but for me the most important thing is a pack that fits your back. It doesn't have to be expensive but it does have to fit you. Good balance and comfortable straps go a long way too but all this is personal and you have to try them on yourself. For me lightweight is nice but secondary to fit.

The size of the bag depends on the rest of your gear. It needs to be able to hold something to sleep in, on and under. Then something to eat, eat off and cook with. Something to clean water and store it. A map of the area, a compass, some rope for a bear bag, first aid basics and something to carry trash. If you have a huge sleeping bag and tent you'll need a big pack. If you have a hammock, tarp and goose down bag then a smaller bag will do.

For a 2 day trip you can raid Wal-Mart for cooking gear. If it's warm the small butane cookers work well. The Coleman mess kits are heavy but have everything are easy to take care of.

If you can get an ultralight cold weather sleeping bag that would be something you won't regret. They take more space than everything else you'll bring on a short hike. You can pile up leaves under a tarp for shelter but it's hard to find a shortcut for a good bag.

For water I use this...
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produ...ocphy=9001778&hvtargid=pla-308859112483&psc=1

My friend uses this and I'm thinking of switching because he can get water from a puddle. My squeeze bag isn't as good.
MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter | REI Co-op

Good luck

Awesome. This post gives some good focus.

Tweaking gear....I do that with other things so Im sure I'll do it here too.

I had at least the basic ideas of most everything you listed so thats reassuring to me that Im on the right track.

Map, compass, first aid, paracord/food bag, trash bag...all check

Water: I'll go with the sawyer filter. It seems to be a common choice.. Its pretty inexpensive and seems like it would serve me fine to get started.

Food/cooking: For food Im planning to go with packaged snacks and the dehydrated "meal-in-a-bag" type things. Some of the meals seem a little pricey, especially if you were to do multi day outings but at this point I think its best to keep this as simple as possible. All I need to do is boil water. In terms of hardware all I should really need is a pot, mug, spoon and stove. I have already have 750mm pot from walmart and I might look at getting a mug. I am planning to get the BSR stove from Amazon with the Isobutane fuel canisters.

Good points on the sleeping bag. If nothing else Ill look at upping the expenditure there to get something better (warmer/lighter).

If you plan on going when it’s cold spend your money not only on a good pack but a good bag. Trying to sleep and being cold is a nightmare. You want to top-of-the-line down bag. Maybe not top-of-the-line but something that is real good between 400 and 500 bucks is what you’re looking at for a decent bag. Top-of-the-line is a lot more but you’re not going to get a good bag for 50 bucks.
Here’s an example of a real good bag by a real good manufacture.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Agnes-Bl...1&rnid=386589011&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-12

Osprey internal frame backpack/Merrill trail shoes (no boots, just shoes) and merino wool socks. An ounce on your feet is a pound on your back...think about that one.

Skip the tent...you don’t need it and never will for 3 seasons. Bivouc or hammock.

Everything else, like people have said here, just buy cheap and upgrade over time...then someday when someone you know wants to get into it, sell them your old gear.

This is exactly what I did and it worked out perfectly.
Go cheap on everything except for:
-shoes (I use merrell. Im sure there are better out there but Im so happy with them I dont look elsewhere)
-backpack (get a good one and make it last, and learn to fit it properly so the weight is on your hips, not your shoulders!)

-everything else is cheap for me: hammock tent, hydration reservoir, sleeping bag, wool socks, convertible hiking pants, stove + aluminum mug, headlamp, water filter, etc.

For backpack size, I would recommend 45-50 L capacity of the "top-down" type (not zippered like a school packpack). Make sure it has useful features like waist pockets, straps to hold hiking poles, etc.
You'll to learn to lighten your load, and bring what you need and put away what you don't need.

A good starter backpacking trip would be the Bonds in the Lincoln woods area. Guyot Campsite is very popular.

Thanks. [thumbsup]

I have a pair of merrell mid rise hiking boots. I have been day hiking the NH 4000ft'ers and others for a couple years now. Like you said, there is probably better but no real complaints about the boots I have now. So, Ill keep them in service a while longer.

Does a Skumar shit in the woods?...Yes, yes he does.[rockon]

Food/cooking: For food Im planning to go with packaged snacks and the dehydrated "meal-in-a-bag" type things. Some of the meals seem a little pricey, especially if you were to do multi day outings but at this point I think its best to keep this as simple as possible. All I need to do is boil water. In terms of hardware all I should really need is a pot, mug, spoon and stove. I have already have 750mm pot from walmart and I might look at getting a mug. I am planning to get the BSR stove from Amazon with the Isobutane fuel canisters.

Food doesn’t have to be purchased dehydrated meals. There are other options. This will give you some ideas to mix it up:

6 Instant Meals-On-The-Go| Just Add Boiling Water
A Week of Lightweight, Nutritious Backpacking Food
Recipes — Sthealthy hunter

I have already have 750mm pot from walmart and I might look at getting a mug. I am planning to get the BSR stove from Amazon with the Isobutane fuel canisters.

Isobutane canisters can have some cold weather issues if they get too cold. I use them for hunting and haven’t had a problem but I tend to stick with MSR canisters. You can tuck them in your jacket to warm them up and once they get going the residual heat from the stove takes care of it.
Adventures In Stoving: What's the Best Brand of Gas for Cold Weather?

Weight your canister in grams BEFORE you use it and write the weight on the bottom of the canister. Now you will be able to scale it and see how much fuel is left. If the canister has 100g of fuel new you can subtract the current weight from your initial measurement to see how much fuel you used.

This GSI cup will fit on a standard Nalgene bottle so it takes up zero space:
https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Glacier-Stainless-Bottle/dp/B078H6534H

6-D26150-E-2312-4599-BD66-4-EE50-AD55-A71.jpg

It’s a little loose but a piece of paper towel in between will eliminate any rattle.

Bob

My wife says roughing it is a 3 star hotel. Camping is not in her vocabulary.

Most of my gear is old ALICE milsurp stuff. For me the most important piece of gear is soft and insulating groundcover. I hate the cold, hard ground. I think I have an Uberlite by thermarest? Haven't been out camping in a few years. It is light and gives a good thermal break.

Sad to say, backpacking is a "trial-and-error" activity. Like someone up there said, you're always tweaking your gear. It takes many, many klicks under your boots with many, many pounds in your ruck for you to feel like you've got your rig all dialled in.

And then? It might be totally different for the next guy.

I learned all this in the army, so all my stuff is late-stage ALICE from 20 years ago. But everything works perfectly for me. The most important part is the little rectangle of closed-cell foam sleeping pad (the old-skool stiff) wedged into my frame. I find myself using it constantly, usually to keep my butt off the wet ground when doing a rucksack flop.

Change your socks often. That's the best advice I can give. That, and to pack extra ziploc bags. You always need more.

It's been awhile since I've camped but where I splurge is the bag/pad/tent. If I can't get a good nights sleep in the woods I'm probably going to be a miserable prick(well, more than normal) on the trail the next day.

So far I've got the bag/pad combo sorted, now I just need the backpack and tent to keep dry which will probably be a Zpacks to offset the excess weight from the bag/pad combo I've chosen. Being a side belly/sleeper mummy bags always drove me nuts and I'd wake up all bound up in them from rolling about trying to get comfortable.

Current combo for the cooler temperature outings(Strato Loft) whenever the hell I can get some free time.

When the warmer temps come back around I'll probably order a quilt from Enlightened Equipment.

Sad to say, backpacking is a "trial-and-error" activity.
First time backpacking = OMG I need all this shit! I'm laying everything out, organizing, meticulous, etc.

Second time backpacking = Oh right Im camping tomorrow *throws random shit in a bag*

First time backpacking = OMG I need all this shit! I'm laying everything out, organizing, meticulous, etc.

Second time backpacking = Oh right Im camping tomorrow *throws random shit in a bag*

I've not camped in a while and I'm in group #1 today. There's a 100% chance I'll come home and be like "Why the hell did I bring all this crap?". But then I always forget a key item like ear plugs or jerky.

Meanwhile I've had my own private camping spot for almost two years now and this is only my second night staying there. Last time it was December and I mistook my 45 degree top quilt for a 25 degree top quilt. Needless to say when it got down into the 20s I was uncomfortable. If I can make this a regular thing I'll have to treat myself to a proper down top quilt for the winter.

Just got back from another 16 or so miles on the Long Trail. The more I do backpacking, the easier it is. My body is totally used to it, and my packing skills are on point. This time around was a breeze. So I say the best backpacking gear is the skill acquired from doing more backpacking.

Back
Top Bottom