• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Backround delay

I went to purchase an M&P .40 today. I was told my backround check was delayed. From what I was told it's only if it was a problem in your past they needed to look into. As far as I know my past is clean. Now, funny thing is, I was approved yesterday for a shotgun immediately. Do they sometimes do this just randomly?

Possibly someone with the same name/different DOB has a background, or something like that, and the fed just wants to be 100% sure they didnt drop the ball?

Eh. I've been delay more often than not. Nobody really know why, it's kind of like your credit score. I wouldn't worry about it.

It happens from time to time. At least you weren't wrongfully denied (that happens also).

I wouldn't be surprised if the frenzy buying and increase in firearms sales has slowed the process down.

By federal law, the NICS has 3 full working days to process the background check.

If nothing comes back in that time (proceed or deny), the FFL has the option to go ahead with the sale. Some places (like WalMart), will not go ahead with the sale until they hear back from the NICs.

I was delayed once. I was picking up a bolt action .22lr rifle I won off gun broker. Funny thing about it was that day I had requalified on the M16. Go figure....

Back
Top Bottom