Backyard Shooting

Hi Guys,

New to shooting...Live in North Andover with lots of woods in backyard. Rather than a range, can i shoot in the backyard or in woods in back? its a 9mm pistol. Should I call the PD and ask?

Appreciate the help, Thanks, Mike

Welcome to NES, Not sure about Mass law on this, but never call the police about questions like this. Look up the MGL codess and local ordinances. Again welcome, and go green!

can't discharge firearm of arrow with 500 ft of a building without owner's permission, or within 150ft of road

can't discharge firearm of arrow with 500 ft of a building without owner's permission, or within 150ft of road

NO!! THAT IS ONLY FOR HUNTING.

Read the statute. I'll post it in a moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Better yet.. enjoy the posts from when I asked this very same question.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/massachusetts-laws/176631-minimum-shooting-distance-dwelling.html

NO!! THAT IS ONLY FOR HUNTING.

Read the statute. I'll post it in a moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Better yet.. enjoy the posts from when I asked this very same question.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...76631-minimum-shooting-distance-dwelling.html

From MGL Chapter 269:

Section 12E. Whoever discharges a firearm as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, a rifle or shotgun within five hundred feet of a dwelling or other building in use, except with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than three months, or both. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property; (b) any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties; (c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof; (d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established; (e) persons using shooting galleries, licensed and defined under the provisions of section fifty-six A of chapter one hundred and forty; and (f) the discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical, athletic, ceremonial, firing squad, or other purposes in accordance with section thirty-nine of chapter one hundred and forty-eight.

Doesn't matter if you're hunting or not.

**** Massachusetts.... Argh why did Ioce here from such a free state as Montana. Can't high paying jobs be everywhere?

From MGL Chapter 269:

Section 12E. Whoever discharges a firearm as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, a rifle or shotgun within five hundred feet of a dwelling or other building in use, except with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than three months, or both. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property; (b) any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties; (c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof; (d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established; (e) persons using shooting galleries, licensed and defined under the provisions of section fifty-six A of chapter one hundred and forty; and (f) the discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical, athletic, ceremonial, firing squad, or other purposes in accordance with section thirty-nine of chapter one hundred and forty-eight.

Doesn't matter if you're hunting or not.

picking the parts that apply to the OP, literaly copy and pasting the easy reading pertinent parts in order, not skewing anything; Whoever discharges a firearm within five hundred feet of a dwelling shall be punished by a fine or by imprisonment or both. [however] Shall not apply to persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established.

though i wonder how that would apply for inferno, who would be shooting on a very tiny parcel of land...

Doesn't matter what the law says in MA... first noise complaint will probably result in license loss due to suitability. And you'll probably be in the paper and ridiculed out of the community. Your children to be mocked and family name tarnished for millenia. Come 10pm Maria Stephano's will be calling you a right wing nutjob hell bent on overthrowing the government. Zappa will have to Zap 15 threads about the purported "arsenal". Slight exaggeration? Only a little.

NH has a provision regarding urban/compact districts that preempt the clearance laws. If MA doesn't have something like that I'd be astonished... and Andover isn't exactly farm country.

Last edited:
Im my town (western ma) I asked a patrol officer his thoughts. I let him know that I had a safe natural back stop and I had measured 500ft+ to my shooting location. He said I was good to go and was more than happy to say have fun. All he asked is that I call the station when I am headed out to shoot so they know whats going on of they recieve any calls.

Just ask. Even call the station and ask if they would be able to send a patrol car out to answer some questions for you. Have your shit together and make it clear that you understand the law pertaining to this.

Im my town (western ma) I asked a patrol officer his thoughts. I let him know that I had a safe natural back stop and I had measured 500ft+ to my shooting location. He said I was good to go and was more than happy to say have fun. All he asked is that I call the station when I am headed out to shoot so they know whats going on of they recieve any calls.

Just ask. Even call the station and ask if they would be able to send a patrol car out to answer some questions for you. Have your shit together and make it clear that you understand the law pertaining to this.

I live in a green town in SE Mass and same deal.. Call the station let them now what you are doing and you are good to go.. Now should you really have to call and get permission every time hell no... But at least you can shoot!

Doesn't matter what the law says in MA... first noise complaint will probably result in license loss due to suitability. And you'll probably be in the paper and ridiculed out of the community. Your children to be mocked and family name tarnished for millenia. Come 10pm Maria Stephano's will be calling you a right wing nutjob hell bent on overthrowing the government. Zappa will have to Zap 15 threads about the purported "arsenal". Slight exaggeration? Only a little.

NH has a provision regarding urban/compact districts that preempt the clearance laws. If MA doesn't have something like that I'd be astonished... and Andover isn't exactly farm country.

[bs2]Most just do it, and you never hear about it.

Hi Guys,

New to shooting...Live in North Andover with lots of woods in backyard. Rather than a range, can i shoot in the backyard or in woods in back? its a 9mm pistol. Should I call the PD and ask?

Appreciate the help, Thanks, Mike

Keep in mind that some towns have additional restrictions in addition to the state law. You are going to have to inquire with someone in the town. I'd do it via email so you have a copy of their reply in the event someone in uniform arrives and tries to tell you otherwise.

Dave

I live in a green town in SE Mass and same deal.. Call the station let them now what you are doing and you are good to go.. Now should you really have to call and get permission every time hell no... But at least you can shoot!

I think it's more of a head's up than permission. If they know it's you, they don't have to respond to calls.

Make sure to check your town doesn't have any ordinances against discharging a firearm.

I shoot in a friends backyard in rehoboth. We never called the Pd. Make sure your shooting on your property and you have a safe backstop.

For the record I have a friend that lives in North Andover and shoots subsonic 22s on his property without issue. The value of being on good terms with your neighbors cannot be understated. Still a good idea to look into any laws specific to your town.

i go shooting at my brothers property 160 acres still get neighbor complaints, but the police have never been called. The nearest neighbor from where i shoot is over 1/2 mile away. So have lots of land or deal with complaints

How are things with the neighbor?

Thanks for asking. Things appear fine. They haven't ruined any more of our stuff, so that's a bonus. But they appear to be treating the house as a winter house (it's a free house for them) so they are rarely there, so I very rarely see evidence of them, never mind the actual residents. When I do see them, we smile and wave, but that's it. I check in with all the other neighbors (half dozen or so) to make sure they are OK with my hijinks and work I am doing and 99% of the time it boils down to "Are you going to put in a development?" and when the answer is 'no' they inform me they couldn't give a rats ass what I am doing out there.

cities and towns have firearms discharge ordinances too. You'll need to consult the town's bylaws. MGL's say you're fine on this. Bylaws probably will say the same thing or similar. Make sure you're far enough in the woods to not piss off the neighbors. Noise complaints that get the cops out there could result in some suitability BS. Plus it's just common courtesy. No one wants to listen to constant gun shots unless they're in the distance.

I shoot my .22 out behind my house from time to time. Never had any issues until my buddy brought his AR over and the police showed up because of the noise. Nothing came of it though, they saw we were shooting in a safe direction with a good backstop and basically told us to "stick to shooting the AR at the range" because it scares the neighbors. they hung out and talked guns and politics for a bit and they were on their way.

In the Hunting section of the forum there is a listing of towns that have by-laws on hunting as well as shooting. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...assachusets-bylaw-guide-hunting-shooting.html

North Andover
FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town of North Andover as Ch. 8 Sec. 8.2 of the GeneralBylaws. Amendments noted where applicable.]§ 105‐1 Prohibited Use §105‐1 Prohibited Use.No person shall fire or discharge any firearms or explosives of any kind on privateproperty, except with the consent of the owner of legal document thereof; provided,however, that this chapter shall not apply to the lawful defense of life or property​
nor to any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties.

According to the town bylaws you should be good to go.

I've shot in Sherborn, home of many liberal nut bags. The cops don't really care and it's legal anyway. I just let them know I'll be shooting with a phone call so if they get a call it saves them a trip and me dealing with anything.

There was one neighbor 10 years ago who came back and yapped. Said she doesn't like the shooting because she walks her dogs back there. My father dealt with her, said it's not your land so don't come back here. She was a POS through and through. Couldn't stop anything though.

Back
Top Bottom