• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bait and switch scam

inerlogic

NES Member
so i've been looking for a 20" .gov profile A2 upper, not and A3 with detachable carry handle, an actual A2 upper. i found one, in stock from a large national supplier, but the price was pricey.
i found a website from a Texas retailer, MODEL1SALES bought the upper, $580 with the options i chose, they pinged my CC and gave me a receipt.

2 hours later (after they were closed so i couldn't call customer service) i get an email saying the options i've chosen (standard upper, 20" .gov chrome lined, std BCG and charging handle) had increased in price, to the tune of an extra $150 and i should contact them to either authorize the increased payment, or cancel the order.

i told them i expected them to send me what i'd bought and paid for, charging my card constitutes a written contract and baiting and switching is illegal.

the next morning i received an email saying they were cancelling my order.

so i've gone to the national retailer, they happily took my CC, that Texas scam company still has the bait pricing on their website.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240214_180632_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240214_180632_Chrome.jpg
    942 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
So call them out.

I'll never understand people that post about shady practices and then won't name names.

Edit to add a simple whois search shows the website established last year and searching the name brings up this gem

Last edited:
Huh - I haven't ordered from Model1Sales in years (decades?), but way back when they were a solid parts supplier. Not the best parts, but decent parts.

Total shit move on their part, OP. Hang 'em high.

I am surprised, I have had really good luck with them. It has been awhile since I ordered so maybe things have changed.

I remember once that I ordered an assortment of parts from their website. Not long after I get a phone call and a very nice lady informed that I would save $$$ if I ordered a kit. The kit included some parts that I did not need, but was less expensive than ordering the parts that I did need individually.

I don't think there are many on-line retailers that will call you and tell you how to save $$$ and get more stuff after your order has been placed.

Give them a chance and let them explain.

When I ordered my new kick scooter (like a Razor scooter) we built a custom scooter with high end parts.

The price seemed low and he charged my card.

A few minutes later, he called and said that he forgot to put the handle bars on the bill.

Honest mistake.

With all the options you put together it's no wonder an error occurred.

They also offered you a chance to cancel the order.

It's not like a true bait and switch when they send a different part.

They offered me a price on their website for exactly what I ordered, then tried raising the price.

And they still haven't fixed their website.
Can you call them and try to get that price?

Tell them if they don't fix the website your going to call the internet police!

They "baited" me with an individual parts order and "switched" me to a kit order that included extra parts and cost me less money.

So the bait and switch in this case worked in my favor.

As Reptile said, give them a chance. they are (or at least were) good people.

They "baited" me with an individual parts order and "switched" me to a kit order that included extra parts and cost me less money.

So the bait and switch in this case worked in my favor.

As Reptile said, give them a chance. they are (or at least were) good people.
they had two chances, once when i originally placed the order, and the second when they tried, after the fact, to get me to pay more. and i counter offered to pay exactly what they have the parts listed for.
they blew both of those chances, so i paid the higher price to a much larger retailer whose customer service i've dealt with before and have always taken care of me.
i'll always prefer the little guy and the local shop, but not when they want to screw me over, or lie to me.

they had two chances, once when i originally placed the order, and the second when they tried, after the fact, to get me to pay more. and i counter offered to pay exactly what they have the parts listed for.
they blew both of those chances, so i paid the higher price to a much larger retailer whose customer service i've dealt with before and have always taken care of me.
i'll always prefer the little guy and the local shop, but not when they want to screw me over, or lie to me.
It took me some time but I found this. I remember there was a connection between Model1 and M&A but could not recall the details.

This is edited from another forum, I took out some of the personal details...........

" Good folks. These guys were in the biz when 95% of those in the biz today were born. The owners father owned a company called NESSARD. When i was a kid, if you were working on ARs, you were buying outta the Shotgun News from NESSARD.
When NESSARD closed, the old man had 2 daughters. Each daughter went and started their own company. Model 1 Sales and M&APARTS. All parties involved are quality people.
Cool thing, neither company resembles the other even their inventory is different.
I have bought from both for getting onto 25 years now. Sadly he doesnt come to the Tulsa Wannamaker show anymore.
Wish i woulda had some money back when their daddy was in the biz.
Buy with confidence. "

Huh - I haven't ordered from Model1Sales in years (decades?), but way back when they were a solid parts supplier. Not the best parts, but decent parts.

Total shit move on their part, OP. Hang 'em high.

Years ago - 15? 20?, I ordered a Rem 1187 in 20ga for my wife from Carr's in Taunton. A couple of weeks later, I get a call to pick it up. I swing by. I talked about getting another. The son-in-law says, "You won't get that price. We screwed up. It costs more than that to us."

I insisted on trying to pay more. I felt terrible. I wasn't shopping on price. They refused and took the $ hit. While it was a tiny shop, I tried to buy something on the regular until they went out of biz.

I am surprised, I have had really good luck with them. It has been awhile since I ordered so maybe things have changed.

I remember once that I ordered an assortment of parts from their website. Not long after I get a phone call and a very nice lady informed that I would save $$$ if I ordered a kit. The kit included some parts that I did not need, but was less expensive than ordering the parts that I did need individually.

I don't think there are many on-line retailers that will call you and tell you how to save $$$ and get more stuff after your order has been placed.
I’ve also had good dealings with model1sales. Sounds like a shitty thing they did though to OP, hope they haven’t changed for the worse. Call and see if you can get it resolved.

Last year, I ordered and paid for a complete upper from Model1.

They called the next day and told me the upper was oos, and that I could either select a different upper or they could refund my charge.

I told them to refund the charge, which they did.

IMHO, I think their website is not up to date and showing current info, and that is the primary issue.

Back
Top Bottom