• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barrel nut question

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Long story short I replaced my free float rail with another and don’t have the proper barrel nut to fit the rail. I’ve heard that you can use flashing around the existing barrel nut to make the rail snug then torque the 2 bolts to make it work. Does anyone know if this will work? I would simply just order the correct barrel nut but everything is out of stock. Anyone ever do this or heard of doing this?

No experience in that

+1 for no half-ass hacks.

I wouldn’t trust my life to it, and would kick myself if I f’ed up my stuff for being lazy. Take this opportunity to detail strip and clean while you’re waiting on the right part.
Valid point and Ofcourse I know this. It’s a brand new build, the impatient part of me was taking over I guess. That site that Snax posted is legit.

I put the rail on and tighten the 2 bolts and I can pull it off. It’s not really close
longer bolts?
why did the rail you buy not come with the proper attachment pieces?
What rail ? What are you calling flashing?

i can probably tell you shiming a free float will only lead to the tube coming loose.
I bought a free float tube a few years ago , "delta" IIRC showed picture of a barrel nut. When recieved the tube I the tube and hardware but no nut. Call to them was only a waste of time. Barrel nuts are on back order. I returned the whole mess.

If your not looking for anything special midway usa had some clearance deals on their stoner line. ?

Last edited:
longer bolts?
why did the rail you buy not come with the proper attachment pieces?
What rail ? What are you calling flashing?

i can probably tell you shiming a free float will only lead to the tube coming loose.
I bought a free float tube a few years ago , "delta" IIRC showed picture of a barrel nut. When recieved the tube I the tube and hardware but no nut. Call to them was only a waste of time. Barrel nuts are on back order. I returned the whole mess.

If your not looking for anything special midway usa had some clearance deals on their stoner line. ?
Midwest Industries light weight free float. It came with one, like I said long story lol, I’m going to either wait for the correct nut to come in stock or get past the threshold of my patience breaking point and smash it and order a whole new rail system.

Last edited:
Well problem solved, miraculously Midwest Industries now has said barrel nut in stock. They must have read this thread and updated their inventory lol

Well problem solved, miraculously Midwest Industries now has said barrel nut in stock. They must have read this thread and updated their inventory lol
If that doesn't work out and you opt to go a whole different route let me know because I could have saved you on that. Or gave you an upgrade for similar. ;)
That being said you should probably bring it along with you later if you accompany Silva just so I can hands on a Midwest. Not quite what I've been ordering for people lately.
Everything has been Geissele, KAC, DD, Aero or BCM for most people.

Back
Top Bottom