• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barrett M107A1 Legal in MA?

I think the “practicality” of a .50 BMG largely depends on where you live and what you expect to do with it. By it’s very nature my Barrett M82A1 is not a particularly accurate rifle. Any short recoil semi-auto rifle where the barrel recoils 1/2 inch is not going to be a “tack driver”. It’s no where near as accurate as my Begara. As far as I’m concerned, the Barrett is really just an expensive toy; just like a 717 HP Dodge Hellcat or a 234 HP Ducati Superleggera. Many of the people who own these toys don’t use them on a 1000 yard range or on the track, but they still can be fun when used on a 100-200 yard range or on the road A .50 BMG can be a lot of fun if you have access to a 100-200 yard range that doesn’t mind you using API rounds to blow various things apart. Granted you don’t find many of these rages in eastern MA, but they do exist in western MA and southern NH. Or if you own enough land, you can do it “in your backyard”.

If you want to do long range accuracy shooting, you’d be much better off with a bolt action (in many of the long rage calibers). If you do want a semi-auto .50 BMG that offers decent accuracy, you’d be better off with a Serbu BFG-50A, which has a fixed barrel and uses a gas system rather than a short recoil system.

Barrett M82A1 practical? For most of us, not really. But if you can afford it (and that IS a big if), you can own one just for the fun of it.

this is all true except the M107A1 solved a lot of the accuracy issues of the m82. My dad had an m82 for a while it was not very accurate, maybe 3 or 4 moa at best even with good ammo. I now have an m107a1, the m107 is pretty accurate with hornaday Amax or good handloads, no it isn't bolt gun accurate, but it's definitely capable of about 1.5 moa which isn't bad considering it's firing 1/2" wide bullets. I definitely agree with the expensive toy analogy though. I will say though if shtf and I've got to go up against an armed/armored vehicle or maybe a helicoptor, it's about the only chance a civillian has.

I have read that the M107 is more accurate than the M82. I’ve also heard that the Serbu is more accurate than both the Barretts. But I don’t have any personal experience with either. The mistake I made when I first bought the Barrett was joining the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association. These guys and gals regularly compete at 1000 yards, with some matches going up to two miles. The first issue of their magazine “Very High Power” was eye opening. They had articles about bullet dynamics that had enough math in them to make me blush (and my degree was in mathematics). These people really take long range accuracy seriously. Most of them shoot rifles they build themselves and of course hand load all their own ammo. Makes me shooting my Barrett look like a rank amateur (which is actually true :rolleyes: ).

If you want to do long range accuracy shooting, you’d be much better off with a bolt action (in many of the long rage calibers). If you do want a semi-auto .50 BMG that offers decent accuracy, you’d be better off with a Serbu BFG-50A, which has a fixed barrel and uses a gas system rather than a short recoil system.
I have a Serbu BFG 50A and it's a load of fun - usually I take friends shooting and in times of non-plague, I have one pick me up at my house and he has to lug it from my house into his vehicle.

Mark has had problems with Federal American Eagle 50BMG ammo being too hard to extract, but if you want to shoot that cheap stuff for fun, just spray a very thin lube on the outside of the case.

My 50A has a couple of unique features - the serial number - 50BMG and the instructions on the side of the muzzle break "front toward enemy" with an arrow. When it was very new, I bore sighted manually - no gadgets, but you can pull the recoil pad and bold and look straight down the bore from the rear. A friend helped me, and we adjusted the Bushnell Elite Tactical scope (since I had to pay for the scope, I didn't go for Nightforce). He took one shot on a target paster at 100 yards after boresighting. That round went through the center of the 1 inch square without breaking the edge. Holy crap, let's go home, our average will only go down if we stay. Never been able to duplicate that feat.

Mark had an interesting round with the FAA. He wanted to find out what FAA regulations covered strafing the ocean with full auto fire. The FAA acutally got back to him with "none, but please be careful". He drive, his daughter rode machinegun in a small single engine plane..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom