• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BATFE Loss/Theft MANDATORY REPORTING Info, Forms, etc.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Quoted from the form (BATF Fed Firearms Licensee Theft-Loss Report Form f331011.pdf):

Section 923 (g), Title 18 USC requires each Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) to report the theft/loss of a firearm from the licensee's inventory or from the collection of a licensed collector, within 48 hours of discovery to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) by calling 1-888-930-9275 and to local law enforcement authorities.

The above in BOLD is bolded on the BATFE form. That in RED was done by me for emphasis that it applies to ALL FFLs of any type!

Then there is the special form for loss/theft in shipping (airlines would qualify here too):

ATF F3310.6 Loss in Shipping Report Form.pdf

Both forms are attached below.

Attachments

• BATF Fed Firearms Licensee Theft-Loss Report Form f331011.pdf
    31.9 KB · Views: 9
  • ATF F3310.6 Loss in Shipping Report Form.pdf
    44 KB · Views: 7
I copied the post of my reply in another thread and created a sticky in Gun Laws, as this is important info that we all should have access to and keep in mind. Especially dealing with missing shipments from UPS/FedEx or airlines!

How does this work if one has a C&R FFL but the firearms stolen are non-C&R firearms? It would naively appear you wouldn't have to file this form, because naively non-C&R firearms by definition can't be part of the collection of a C&R FFL (and correct me if I am wrong, but only C&R firearms go into a C&R FFL's bound book, right?)

But I know better than to assume anything when it comes to this stuff.

IANAL, but I think you're still obligated to notify and file the forms.

IMNSHO, it wouldn't hurt to do so even if not required. But, I'd bet in 99% of cases (other than house-breaks) just the threat of doing this will "find" your missing guns at the public carrier (UPS, FedEx, airlines)!!

Happened to me years ago. Notice on door from ups telling me to pick up my pistol at the local hub. Got there they can"t find my pistol told them I have to call BATF,State Police,local LEO and left 1/2 hr later get a call they "found" my pistol. Bunch of clods

I don't have the official answer in front of me, but I'm pretty certain that you have to file the report. The important part isn't that the lost or stolen gun was obtained using a C&R license, or even that it's C&R eligible, but that it's a loss by or theft from a federal licensee.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom