• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BATFE reform

I am not a gunsmith. I am a gun owner and bookworm who like to tinker with my own guns, and I have a fairly large collection of books on gunsmithing. (I really read about it more than I do it.)

I have a subscription to a gunsmithing magazine called AMERICAN GUNSMITH. This editorial appeared in the latest (June 2006) issue.

Just before this issue went to press, hearings were held by the House Judiciary Comittee's Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security, focused on enforcement abuses by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE). Opinions were also aired about a new bill intended to correct several issues in federal firearms law.

First, the subcommittee heard testimony from people with first hand experience dealing with BATFE. Virginia lawyer Richard Gardiner, who has represented many gun owners and dealers, focused on the way BATFE handles cases against federally licensed firearms dealers, often seeking to revoke FFLs for "trivial, immaterial violations" based on "undefined legal standards". Gardiner described one case where a dealer lost his license even though BATFE itself agreed his records were 99.96 percent accurate, and the few errors posed no threat to public safety.

Next, Lt. Michael Lara of the Tuscon Police Department recounted his personal horror story at the hands of BATFE. After buying a gun as a gift for a friend, Lt. Lara found himself facing federal felony charges as a "straw purchaser". Lt. Lara lost his job, and didn't get it back before a three month legal nightmare cost him more than $200,000 in legal fees, lost pay, and other costs. BATFE never even interviewed him during it's investigation, and the jury acquitted him in less than an hour.

At the second hearing, the subcommittee focused on H.R.5005, Rep. Lamar Smith's (R-TX) bill to make various technical changes and corrections in federal firearms law. Anti-gun advocates have gone through the roof over one provision of H.R.5005: a section that prohibits disclosure of firearms trace data outside of law-enforcement investigations. That language simply makes permanent a policy that Congress has enacted through annual appropriations riders for the past several years. Yet at this hearing, anti-gun New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (R) hysterically denounced it as a "God-awful" bill that would "facilitate the shooting deaths of thousands of innocent Americans every year". Of course, Bloombergs real goal - besides publicity in the Big Apple media - is to use this confidential law enforcement information in the city's suit against the firearms industry.

Subcommittee Chairman Howard Coble (R-NC) and ranking member Bobby Scott (D-VA) agreed on the need to focus BATFE's efforts on enforcing current laws against serious criminals, while not pursuing petty violations or undermining civil liberties. To that end, the "Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Modernization and Reform Act of 2006" will soon be introduced. This bipartisan bill will update the legal standards for disciplining violations by FFLs. It also calls for a review of BATFE's enforcement practices, and clarifies BATFE's responsibilities to keep the Bureau focused on it's core mission.

Regards
John

In God I Trust. Everybody else keep your hands where I can see them!

The best way to reform the ATF is to abolish it. The alcohol I make or drink, the tobacco I raise and smoke, and the firearms I own are none of the central government's business.
JT

I'm in favor of making the BATFE into more of a supply company, IE issuing alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives.

I'm in favor of making the BATFE into more of a supply company, IE issuing alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives.

Given my druthers, I'd much rather trust my life to a firearm that I selected and tuned for myself rather than one that the government selected for me and purchased from the lowest cost bidder. Ditto for the other items. Abolish it all together and help reduce the deficit by selling the name to a chain of 24/7 convenience stores. [wink]

Ken

New role for ATF.....

My son has a great T-shirt. On the front it says:

Alcohol
Tobacco and
Firearms
should be the name of a convenience
store, not a government agency.

Good idea!

Given my druthers, I'd much rather trust my life to a firearm that I selected and tuned for myself rather than one that the government selected for me and purchased from the lowest cost bidder.
You're right, Ken... And to help you out with your druthers, I'll happily take any CMP firearms you have off of your hands! [smile]

You're right, Ken... And to help you out with your druthers, I'll happily take any CMP firearms you have off of your hands! [smile]

Ross,

You seem to have overlooked the "Mil" in "MilSurp". Those aren't firearms that the government selected to protect my life; they're firearms that the government selected to issue to troops under its direct control in order to protect its soverignty and power. There's a huge difference. Thanks, but I'll keep the ones I selected.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom