• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Battery-Powered Shortwave Radios

BostonVI

NES Member
Somewhere else here I posted that I don't have any personal experience with short wave radios, but between the Amazon reviews and reviews on www.eham.net you should get a pretty good idea of what's good.

You definitely want SSB in the radio or you won't hear most of the chatter in the ham bands. Neither of your 2 linked radios will receive SSB signals. For short wave, you really want an external wire antenna. The difference between the telescoping antenna and a 25' piece of wire going out your window to a tree is 10X or more. Both the ones below come with a wire antenna.

I would pick between a Tecsun and Sony. If I had to buy today I would either get:
Tecsun PL-660: $110 gets aviation band as well as usual others
Tecsun PL-880: $160 no aviation band, but better receiver with filters for SSB and Morse to filter out the clutter.

Last edited:
This. I got a Tecsun PL-660 to replace my similar-sized Sony SW-7600 when some of its caps finally puked and the entire AM side went out. They are extremely comparable, and the Tecsun is well worth its price. The 660 is often rated above the 880 for sensitivity when you add an external antenna, though it doesn't have the Morse capability.

Somewhere else here I posted that I don't have any personal experience with short wave radios, but between the Amazon reviews and reviews on www.eham.net you should get a pretty good idea of what's good.

You definitely want SSB in the radio or you won't hear most of the chatter in the ham bands. Neither of your 2 linked radios will receive SSB signals. For short wave, you really want an external wire antenna. The difference between the telescoping antenna and a 25' piece of wire going out your window to a tree is 10X or more. Both the ones below come with a wire antenna.

I would pick between a Tecsun and Sony. If I had to buy today I would either get:
Tecsun PL-660: $110 gets aviation band as well as usual others
Tecsun PL-880: $160 no aviation band, but better receiver with filters for SSB and Morse to filter out the clutter.

Back
Top Bottom