BB Gun for six year old

Knob Creek

NES Member
I see the Daisy Red Ryder BB guns are all over the place for sale this year. Now made in China. Considering a BB or pellet gun for my six year old grandson. Are there better choices with better quality available?

I would wait a year or two and get him a .22. Spend the time in between teaching him safety rules. Gauge his interest.

A pellet gun is way more accurate and doesn't have the "shoot you eye out kid" ricochet problems that a BB gun does. Check out

For a 6 yr old, a daisy is perfect. Upgrade to a pump pellet gun and then to a .22lr. Perfect progression. God Bless u for teaching your amazing Grandchild one of the most fundamental lessons that this country has to offer, and that will lead to his success in the future, in so many ways!!

You can get self destruct bbs from Walmart. Called Dust Devils they shatter on impact on hard stuff. Not cheap, but no bb in the eye. Stash

Went to Wally World a while back and got my oldest a Daisy Buck. It was cheap and it's fairly accurate. He started using it when he was like 5 and he couldn't shoot it until he recited the gun safety rules to me(which we did while walking)

I see the Daisy Red Ryder BB guns are all over the place for sale this year. Now made in China. Considering a BB or pellet gun for my six year old grandson. Are there better choices with better quality available?
Daisy been made in china for many many years, The daisy Red Ryder and likes of the lever action are not well suited to teaching young kids. The lever is hard to cycle the trigger is awful and the sights suck. That said I learned on a red ryder in my basement 7 yrs old. My dad made me memorize tbe "10 comandments " of gun safety, read the entire owners manual and use the instructions for shooting fundamental s. Then said i would have to shoot nice groups moving on. Even with the heavy blanket and cardboard those BBs found ways to bounce and my Dad banned BBs and bought us pellet guns.
I think on the cheap side the crosman 760X or Daisy Grizzly (if still made) are sized better for smaller shooters easier to pump better trigger.
Also if you want something pretty good the CMP still has reconditioned Daisy 853 for $120 and are pretty darn accurate and the triggers can be ok and worked over a little to be better. Length of pull is adjustable with spacers.

I still have my Red Ryder and not until I was a bit older did I start to like it a little. That was only for plinking cans and bottles and bored rainy days.
The red ryder is gallon milk jug accurate which gets old quick.

Last edited:
Went to Wally World a while back and got my oldest a Daisy Buck. It was cheap and it's fairly accurate. He started using it when he was like 5 and he couldn't shoot it until he recited the gun safety rules to me(which we did while walking)
I picked up a buck in hopes it smaller size would be better for my kids. They went at it for about 50 BBs and turned to me and said. "Can we just use your dad?" So out came the 853 and Discovery....

Grab a 92FS model airsoft gun. Really accurate and you can prop it up on your patio rail and plink in the backyard. Bright Yellow pellets easy clean up and paint the tip red and keep it around the house to avoid mishaps. Great for kids and will teach muzzle awareness before going to the 22. I personally don’t know how fathers take their kids to the range with a 22...not parental-value-wise but physically? Do they boost the kid up in the booth? How does the child shoulder the rifle? There are a lot of unknowns there for me.

I wish my Dad took me to the range when I was a kid...but my family is pretty liberal so I’m a gun orphan and had to go to the range a few times when I was visiting my gf in Houston before I got my LTC in MA :( . Sad!

Ya the Red Ryder’s are a hard action for young ones to work without always asking for help to pump it each time or complaining that the lever hurts their hands and not wanting to use it. Very cheaply made these days. It’s been...20 something years now since I bought one for my oldest son and even back then I noticed the action sucked on it.

This post did remind me though of my favorite Xmas of all time ever, so thanks OP for reminding me of simpler times long long ago.

Got my 5yr old a Crickett .22 this year. Both he and his 7yr old sister have shot that, my Rossi .22 pump and my AR9
my daughter at 7 went to the savage rascal after a year with the pellet guns. Good thing about thecpellet guns is not needing to go somewhere to shoot it. 10m is all you need. Pick up some 10m targets , its harder than it looks.

Henry makes a youth 22😉
Its not that much smaller than a standard. Its 13" lop which is long for a lot kids under 1 2. The grip to trigger length is the same as a full size makes it hard for small hands to get a good grip.
Have not been able to try the henry mi ni bolt , my kids are at the point where they will start hitting the growth spurts.
My oldest already out grew the Rascal .

Last edited:
crossman 760 pumpmaster! Great first bb/pellet gun. It was my first and my daughters first bb gun.

crossman 760 pumpmaster! Great first bb/pellet gun. It was my first and my daughters first bb gun.
Do they make then with rifled barrels any more? Years ago I modified my 760 with walther barrel. I put 10s of thousands of BBs through original barrel.

I got the Ref Ryders. They’re cheap enough that you don’t mind sawing the stock to adjust LOP.
The hard action is good to effectively make them a single shot until they get a bit bigger.
They’re accurate enough for soda cans and pull bottles.
Not enough power to hurt if an accident (besides eye) happens.

Trigger sucks. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom