• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Be careful what you buy

I am too much a perfectionist for that.

I want all my stuff to match and be built by the factory.

I would not want a FrankenAR.

If I was desperate, I'd make a dream lower at any cost, put together an upper just to hold me over, then wait for a better factory upper.

FrankenAR is a term I reserve for mismatch budget stuff. That is a term I hear more around retail gun shops to steer a new owner away from assembling or customizing factory rifles - they want to sell entire production rifles.

Many of the higher end brands out there are not complete factory rifles to begin with, some smaller guys do no manufacturing other than having certain off-the-shelf patterns branded or cosmetically changed a bit.

Sure, on a lower from 92 you gotta find something really true mil spec if you want the shades to match but in MA you are really in the beggers situation. I'd take a Bushmaster lower with a Daniel Defense upper any day over a complete "factory" Bushmaster for instance.

Personally I like matching reciever sets and usually handguards, after that I would rather pick a barrel, match the BCG brand to the barrel if possible & assemble myself. I can spend an hour to time a barrel nut just right, they can't do that in production. There are improvements on the market for things like buffer tubes & springs that can be selected etc etc. If care is taken you get better rifles this way IMO.

oh no doubt crackpot is doing a public service and warning people and rightfully so

im just curious how many people are being prosecuted for AWB violations, that are not related to other criminal offenses, like shooting up a neighborhood etc
Since ~95% of charges get plead out, usually to lesser charges, it really is impossible to know how many are initially prosecuted for AWB violations.

However, when a PD confiscates guns for any reason, they must inventory what they took and both then and if they ever go to return the items, they can and have found "violations" at that time. I am aware that some have been prosecuted based on this.

So, for my own knowledge check and maybe helpful to others, my one and only AR, a factory-stock Ruger SR-556VT, varminter(bought new in early July 2016):

- is pre-Healy ban, because of the purchase date days before her edict, and therefore, use to be compliant and legal in MA
- is post-1994 ban, because, besides that manufacture and sale date, it hasn't any two of those 5 distinguishing features that MA(mirroring the cancelled 1994 Fed, after 2002 Scott Harshbarger reinstatement?) used to describe assault rifles- 1) no telescopic or folding stock. It has an A2 wedge, 2) no flash hider- It has a bull stainless steel hunting barrel. 3) No bayonet lug 4) No grenade launcher 5) Pistol grip- YES.

That sound right?

Here's the question. If want to sell this gun to someone here also in MA, do I need an original sales receipt, proving I bought it new before her lockdown date? And would it be legal?
Wayne's Weaponry in West Boylston closed down his business a few years ago.

My post is not about Healey. I dont GAF about Healey as it relates to her inane "guidance" in 2016. My post is about people selling actual post 94 AKs, for example. Nice pretty pictures of models that are manufactured in the US from imported parts on new receivers. I have seen AR pistols, Scorpion pistols, etc all posted on NES classified. This is not about the see you next tuesday in the AG office.
There’s that inane word again😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom