• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bear Attack

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/27/bear.attack.ap/index.html

Horrible luck for the couple, it sounded like they were prepared for bears. I think they got it in their sleep.

I always hang my garbage in a tree 20 or 30 meters from the tents with two pots tied to the branch as well. When something tries to get the bag, the pots will rattle and wake me up if I'm sleeping in the tent. It's worked twice for me camping in Northern MN.

Doesn't read as if it was food that the bear was after, although I store my food pretty much the same way you do. I've seen what a full grown grizzley can do purportedly "bear proof" containers. Based on this article I'm writing a note to myself: Alaska == Vietnam => string emply cans with rocks in them from monofilament line around your campsite.

Ken

I think they said their food was stored away. I think had the food been tied up away, the bear might have went after it first before coming through the tent.

I was thinking the same thing for the next time I take the boys this fall. I'll have wire all around the tent. Good note Ken.

I'm glad that I wasn't near Anchorage last week... I just got back from a cruise to Southeast Alaska! Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan.

But I strongly doubt a bear would have come up the gangplank. :) Although... the "security guards" at the gangplank weren't armed. Neither was I; they advise passengers that they follow TSA guidlines for carryon luggage for ALL luggage. But I did smuggle a small Victorinox in in my luggage.

Ross

KMaurer said:
Doesn't read as if it was food that the bear was after, although I store my food pretty much the same way you do. I've seen what a full grown grizzley can do purportedly "bear proof" containers. Based on this article I'm writing a note to myself: Alaska == Vietnam => string emply cans with rocks in them from monofilament line around your campsite.

Ken

Don't forget a couple of claymore's.

dwarven1 said:
I'm glad that I wasn't near Anchorage last week... I just got back from a cruise to Southeast Alaska! Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan.

But I strongly doubt a bear would have come up the gangplank. :) Although... the "security guards" at the gangplank weren't armed. Neither was I; they advise passengers that they follow TSA guidlines for carryon luggage for ALL luggage. But I did smuggle a small Victorinox in in my luggage.

Ross

How was that cruise Ross? I've been wanting to do that cruise for a while.

derek said:
How was that cruise Ross? I've been wanting to do that cruise for a while.

In a word, wonderful. In two words, wonderfully wet. :)

Did you know that the Pacific Northwest gets a LOT of rain? That Ketchikan, AK gets about 220 days of rain a year? I didn't...

and I don't care, either. The scenery was gorgeous, the ship was great, as was the staff, the excursions were a lot of fun, and even though I got soaked on my Harley tour of Ketchikan, I'd do it again. (but I'd ask for something other than a Sporty, though).

I'm planning on writing up a trip report this week, so I'll post it if you want. But if you get a chance, GO.

You might want to leave the kids with their grandparents, though - from the photos you posted, they look a little young to appreciate a day watching glaciers, for example. OTOH, if you want a cruise that's kid-friendly, Disney Cruise Line is the way to go. But they mostly cruise the Caribbean only. Take the kids to Alaska when they're older, though - they'll love it.

Short trip report: We did 4 Excursions: one via helicopter to a glacier above Juneau, one to a "musher's camp" outside Skagway and a rail ride up the White Pass and Yukon Route narrow-gauge railway to White Pass on the Canadian border and I did the afore-mentioned Harley ride to the end of the road north out of Ketchikan solo (SWMBO did a Duck tour). We also spent a day cruising Glacier Bay where I burned LOTS of electrons taking photos. ALL excursions resulted in wide grins, especially the 55 mile ride in the pouring rain. Not even soaked boots and gloves, or 55 degree temps could stop the ear-to-ear grin. But hey... I'm crazy, anyway. All my friends know that. :)

What natives we met (not many) were very friendly. Most of the tour guides were college kids up working for the summer. (Wish that'd been an option when I was in college... Wow! What fun!) The dogs at the musher's camp were friendly and absolutely amazing... 16 dogs pulled 8 of us on a 600 lb wheeled cart! And with quite a bit of acceleration, too!

Anyway, I need to get back to work, so I'm going to stop gushing here and post this. I will have to write up a longer, more in-depth report later, though.

Ross

Sounds awesome. Post some pics later if you can. I would just plan on taking the wife and leaving the boys with my parents.

dwarven, Why do you think they call it the Pacific NorthWET?

Glad you had a great trip!

That was my late Father's dream to make that cruise. Unfortunately, he never made it due to his health! He got to see much of the Eastern US and Europe, all compliments of Uncle Sam . . . fighting his way to Berlin during WWII so he never had any desire to travel anywhere other than New England. However, in his later years he suddenly had a desire to see Alaska.

Derek, I'll try to get the pix downloaded later this week; I have lodge tomorrow, so it won't be until Wednesday at the earliest. I'm not sure where I can post them; I was taking them at 2 megapixels, so they're about 768K each. I'll look into free photo sites.

Len, sorry to hear that your dad could never make it. It was my wife's fantasy to go, and a combination of an inheritance and refinancing the house made it doable, so off we went!

BTW - you can use my name (Ross), or if you like, "dwarven1" - (say it out loud). :) "dwarf" is my nickname, but a friend of mine gets formal sometimes... I'll pick up the phone and hear "Greetings, O dwarven one." It's easily remembered and almost never taken no matter where I sign up. As for why the nickname? I'm short, stocky, bearded, work with metal, and have my shop underground... What else would you call me? :)

Ross

KMaurer said:
TonyD said:
Well, if I had any laying around ... you wouldn't happen to have any extras, would you? [wink]

Ken

Ken,

You'd be surprised what Tony may have stored away. I get dibs on any left over AT-4's Tony.

Derek

derek said:
KMaurer said:
TonyD said:
Well, if I had any laying around ... you wouldn't happen to have any extras, would you? [wink]

Ken

Ken,

You'd be surprised what Tony may have stored away. I get dibs on any left over AT-4's Tony.

Derek

The difference between men and boys is how LOUD their toys are. [lol]

Nothing like a Claymore, a car battery, a clothespin, a couple of nails, an MRE spoon and some WD-1.

I think Tony knows this one, seeing how he posted about the dog. I suspect something similar happened to the poor dog.

Nickle said:
Nothing like a Claymore, a car battery, a clothespin, a couple of nails, an MRE spoon and some WD-1.

I think Tony knows this one, seeing how he posted about the dog. I suspect something similar happened to the poor dog.

There are an infinite number of interesting and creative thing one can do with a few common household items and some exploosite or incindiary materials. The only limit is your imagination. [twisted] [twisted] [twisted]

{BTW, Tony, it sets a bad precedent to deny having things like that. A better policy is the one that we used to use with one of my former employers, regardless of the question: "I am not authorized to either confirm or deny that."}

Ken

Back
Top Bottom