Bear hunting in MA/NH?

Newmy licensed MA resident here. My uncle tells me that rifle hunting is banned in MA, but under the .gov page about Black Bear, it mentions rifles. New Hampshire's site Dosent say much about firearm restrictions. I plan on getting a 7.62 Mosin (FID holder here, under 21). I'd like to take that wherever I could, as opposed to getting a muzzloader or shotgun and spending more money. Can somebody clarify this for me? Thank you.

Newmy licensed MA resident here. My uncle tells me that rifle hunting is banned in MA, but under the .gov page about Black Bear, it mentions rifles. New Hampshire's site Dosent say much about firearm restrictions. I plan on getting a 7.62 Mosin (FID holder here, under 21). I'd like to take that wherever I could, as opposed to getting a muzzloader or shotgun and spending more money. Can somebody clarify this for me? Thank you.

Have you taken hunter Ed yet? If not I know a way you can do it completely online....let me know.

Rifle is allowed on bear. Read the regs below. If your newly licensed and new to hunting you picked the most difficult game to go after for your first hunting experience. The success rate for bear hunters in mass and nh is VERY low.

Now.....new to hunting......new fid......why would you buy a mosin nagant and spend just shy of $300 on one and only be able to use it for one game animal? You can't use a rifle on deer in mass. My suggestion....and MANY others will agree......buy a 12 gauge shotgun with a bird barrel and a rifles deer barrel for your first long gun. A new Mossberg 500 field / deer combo will set you back about $350 (only $50 more than a mosin) and a used set would be about $250. With that setup you can literally hunt EVERY game animal in new England legally and successfully.

Turkey
Deer
Squirrel
Rabbit
Pheasant
Duck
Coyote

All can be taken with a 12 gauge by changing the choke/barrel/ammo and you can have some fun shooting trap or skeet with it too.

That mosin owouod be good for just bear and some target practice and that's it. And your chances of ever seeing a bear are slim to none.

Welcome to hunting. I started hunting about 6 years ago when you boy was 12. He begged me and begged me to try it out......and I'm glad he did. It's been a life changing experience. We hunt as a family now. Been quite successful over the years and we've all harvested a few deer over the years even my wife. Been successful at turkey snow shoe hare cotton tail ducks and squirrel grouse you name it. I'll say of all the guns I own (2 safes full) since I started hunting my 12 gauge shotguns are my treasures.......nothing else comes close to how much I can do with a shotgun in the woods.

Anyway.....regs below on bear. But I'd highly recommend a 12 gauge. ......and go after more successful game for your first hunting experiences.

Black bear hunting regulations

Last edited:
you can use a 50BMG on bear if you want. The caliber has to be above 22 cal. other than that, no restrictions.

Reg specifically states .23 and up not "above .22". There is a difference.

I love that .23 and up reg.......technically .223 or 5.56 is a no go. Lol

Allow me to clarify. I have been hunting all my life, with uncles and my grandmother. I've taken a few deer as a minor. Originally the plan was not even to hunt, but to get an older AR variant. I went into the national guard Jr year of high school as infantry, so I wanted an AR since I'm very comfortable with them. However due to MA laws, I can't get one, being under 21 ETC.

I've wanted a Mosin anyway, I've shot a few and I'm a big fan. I am looking to start a collection, which is why shotguns and most muzzleloader dont particularly interest me.

I've hunted for years, but I have never planned my own trip going solo or with a friend. I've always been a tag along, so to speak.

I want the Mosin, and I really dont want to spend even more money on another firearm if I CAN go with a regular rifle. Furthermore, I've bagged deer and it's fun, but I would get more enjoyment out of bigger game hunting, as opposed to just being another guy who got another deer (again).

*Also, I do have my license. I was certified years ago, but I wanted to wait to actually buy the license until I got my FID.

Allow me to clarify. I have been hunting all my life, with uncles and my grandmother. I've taken a few deer as a minor. Originally the plan was not even to hunt, but to get an older AR variant. I went into the national guard Jr year of high school as infantry, so I wanted an AR since I'm very comfortable with them. However due to MA laws, I can't get one, being under 21 ETC.

I've wanted a Mosin anyway, I've shot a few and I'm a big fan. I am looking to start a collection, which is why shotguns and most muzzleloader dont particularly interest me.

I've hunted for years, but I have never planned my own trip going solo or with a friend. I've always been a tag along, so to speak.

I want the Mosin, and I really dont want to spend even more money on another firearm if I CAN go with a regular rifle. Furthermore, I've bagged deer and it's fun, but I would get more enjoyment out of bigger game hunting, as opposed to just being another guy who got another deer (again).
Sounds like your g2g. A mosin is legal on bear during bear season. A mosin is not legal on bear during the combined shotgun bear/deer season in mass.....only shotgun during those 2 weeks

Last edited:
So basically I can use it during all of bear season (except 2 weeks for shotgun season)? Thanks
That's correct. During shotgun deer season (monday after Thanksgiving through the next two weeks) the only legal game to hunt is deer, bear, and coyote. All of which may only be hunted with a shotgun. Not a good idea to be in the woods with a rifle or handgun during shotgun deer season.

The link that Whacko provided has a chart that will tell you what weapons can be used during which season.

Bob

Thank you so much. Sorry this took so long to clarify. The damn laws around here make no sense.
That's an understatement.

Example.....technically because bear with rifle needs to be .23 cal and above 5.56 or 223 is a no go. But in zones 1-9 grey squirrel can be hunted with rifles and hand guns of any cal.....so 5.56 or 223 is ok on grey squirrel......hell even 308 or 50 bmg would be ok on grey.

Even kookier is bear can be hunted during shotgun deer season......with a shotgun of course.....but slug only......but deer can be taken with buckshot.

You definitely need to study the regs.

Mass is f***ed up.

Since your after Bear...

Note that MA allows no baiting at all. This tends to lower success rates and sightings. Most guys I know are shxt lucky, scout like crazy, or find an orchard or corn that's being raided in Connecticut River Valley or Western MA, and set a stand over it. Hoping the bears show up in daylight. Check a bear in this state and plan on a Game Warden following up on the kill so far their head will be up your ass.

As Whacko noted only 200 bear get killed in this state and most get scrutenized pretty well for illegal baiting practices. A couple assclowns got bagged in Templeton a few years ago, because some lady came across a bird feeder in the woods, and it ended up getting traced back to these guys that poached a bear over bait. Every year in my neck of the woods in North Central someone gets their bear taken for illegal baiting, its usually a big bastard too. Last year someone in Petersham area got a 350# bear taken away. My point is if you kill and tag a bear, expect to be showing the warden where/when/how and the gutpile and kill site.

NH, you can bait, but there are regs you must follow. Most of it is on private land, and you can only have one bait, and must let local Game Warden know where it is on a map. It must be properly labeled, etc, etc... I know a kid in one of my youth pheasant hunting classes that took a bear in NH last year. He was pumped.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the info thus far. Think I'm just gonna head up to New Hampshire to avoid all of the nonsense here, I'm sick of this state enough. Dont need law enforcement up my ass about hunting an animal that I paid upwards of 40 dollars (license, tag, etc) to hunt.

Thank you everyone for the info thus far. Think I'm just gonna head up to New Hampshire to avoid all of the nonsense here, I'm sick of this state enough. Dont need law enforcement up my ass about hunting an animal that I paid upwards of 40 dollars (license, tag, etc) to hunt.

NH also requires you to contact an epo and have them come out and the bear intact and usually the kill site

Successful hunters must notify a Conservation Officer within 12 hours of taking a bear by calling (603) 271-3361 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., and may be required to take a department employee to the kill site. Within 24 hours after time of kill, the hunter must exhibit the bear, with reproductive organs intact, to a Conservation Officer. Do not bring bear to a registration station prior to calling Fish and Game at (603) 271-3361 to receive instructions.

Back
Top Bottom