Becoming a LEO officer...

If you had a 96, I would say its a long shot. 97 is a contender, based on how many they hire.

What absolute silliness. I am no more qualified than someone who scored a 96. I sure don't get the point of this test. Is it used to ensure the least educated have an opportunity to pass and be hired?

I think like anything else, its just a tool to weed out and trim down the number of applicants. Just makes the number easier for them to manage.

This was my first time taking the test. I'm pretty darn sure I've aged out and had no chance to begin with, but I wanted to take the test any way to see what it was like (otherwise I'd be wondering for the rest of my life). My score is a miserable 92 so I guess that's my answer. On the bright side, I won't have to brace for the big pay cut I'd expect if I had made this change in careers.

Ugh first time taking it and I got a 96. From what I've been reading that's not very good. So looks like I won't be holding any hope for a police job any time soon haha

I got the email tonight and I got a 98. It was my first time taking it so I'm not too sure where to go from here. It mentioned it will put me on the eligibility list for 2013 Police Officer Eligible List, the Eligible List for the MBTA Transit Police, and the Eligible List for the municipality in which you have claimed Residency Preference. My question is what is the best thing to do now?

I got the email tonight and I got a 98. It was my first time taking it so I'm not too sure where to go from here. It mentioned it will put me on the eligibility list for 2013 Police Officer Eligible List, the Eligible List for the MBTA Transit Police, and the Eligible List for the municipality in which you have claimed Residency Preference. My question is what is the best thing to do now?
sit and wait, dont quit your day job.

I think like anything else, its just a tool to weed out and trim down the number of applicants. Just makes the number easier for them to manage.

This was my first time taking the test. I'm pretty darn sure I've aged out and had no chance to begin with, but I wanted to take the test any way to see what it was like (otherwise I'd be wondering for the rest of my life). My score is a miserable 92 so I guess that's my answer. On the bright side, I won't have to brace for the big pay cut I'd expect if I had made this change in careers.

Ugh first time taking it and I got a 96. From what I've been reading that's not very good. So looks like I won't be holding any hope for a police job any time soon haha

Mid 90's will likely put you out of contention for MSP, but is pretty good for a municipal job depending on what the vet situation looks like in your municipality.

- - - Updated - - -

What absolute silliness. I am no more qualified than someone who scored a 96. I sure don't get the point of this test. Is it used to ensure the least educated have an opportunity to pass and be hired?

Dude, a score is a score. The limit has to be somewhere. Why don't they just reach down and hire 85's if the score doesn't matter?

Minority status also supposedly gives you points.
Minority status does not give you points.

What it does allow is for municipalities under consent decrees (judicial orders to make their departments more "reflective of their communities") to pull "minority lists" of certain races and ethnicities to get out from under those decrees. Say the department needs four more Hispanic officers to get out from their consent decree. They can pull a list of X number of the top Hispanic test takers.

Language fluency is similar, in that a city or town that can articulate a need for certain language fluency (say Lowell needs Cambodian speakers, or Brockton needs Cape Verdian Creole speakers) can pull a list of the top test takers with that proficiency.

In case you wanted to know, unless it's changed, appointments (known as "certifications") work on the "2x+1s" method for cities and towns. Meaning, if the city wants 4 cops, they would pull the top 9 names on the list, plus anyone tied with number 9's score.

Last edited:
I do not have any residency preference as I moved from Boston to Bridgewater during the year before the test. Odds are I am sol with a 97. Maybe the statues PR environmental police will be hiring.

Congrats to you guys with high scores! Quite a few of you.

I'm sure a national search would find you something to pursue in that arena.

I am pretty happy where I am working now. Unless there is an opportunity that offers a good pay hike and a solid dept I will probably stay where I am. Not looking to move for the job.

Err no. It's to prevent daddy who is a selectmen from putting his kid on top of the list. The town of Braintree fire is notorious for this. Want more points work as a part timer or join the service.

Err no. It's to prevent daddy who is a selectmen from putting his kid on top of the list. The town of Braintree fire is notorious for this. Want more points work as a part timer or join the service.
Or if you know a state rep, you can always have them pass special legislation that puts you at the top of the list.

No I'm not kidding.

Or if you know a state rep, you can always have them pass special legislation that puts you at the top of the list.

No I'm not kidding.

Or be mayor menino and get your kid put on and made a detective. Lots of ways to circumvent veterans if you try hard enough. My take is if you need help avoiding the rules that everyone else has to follow then you are a pos. play by the rules like everyone else.

Or be mayor menino and get your kid put on and made a detective. Lots of ways to circumvent veterans if you try hard enough. My take is if you need help avoiding the rules that everyone else has to follow then you are a pos. play by the rules like everyone else.

Your good thoughts, idealism and desires to level the playing field are for naught. The people that get on that way could care less if you think they are a pos or not. Life is not fair, and nobody cares.

Last edited:
Your good thoughtd, idealism and desires to level the playing field are for naught. The people that get on that way could care less if you think they are a pos or not. Life is not fair, and nobody cares.

You are right but I care. I have had people tell me to my face that veterans are not qualified to be police officers because they have PTSD, have criminal records (why else would you join to fight a war) or are drug a users from the meds they get from the va. That because of this they will have no problem getting hired in a civil service community once the background investigation clears the veterans out of the way. I wish I was making this crap up but I won't bore you with details. So years later when these same tool bags are hoping the nut house has been locking vets up has not happened, the Tom foolery appears and the political favors start appearing.hence menino's skirting of the system

I just got 2 scores one from the State trooper exam and one from the Police officer exam. it says I scored a 98 the police,mbta one and a 97.69 on the state tropper one. I guess its juat a waiting game now.

Sent from Galaxy Note 2 through time and space now Free

I'm guessing the the sate police doesn't round up but cities do. I got a 99 but 98.57 for state...what was worth .43 points!?

I'm guessing the the sate police doesn't round up but cities do. I got a 99 but 98.57 for state...what was worth .43 points!?

Spelling? JK. There is no rhyme or reason with whatever HRD is now called. ( Civil Service)

Back
Top Bottom