Becoming a LEO officer...

anyone know what the rank in the first column mean? also, the list just came out for Lowell and there's not much people on there including myself. I wonder if they are still updating it.

anyone know what the rank in the first column mean? also, the list just came out for Lowell and there's not much people on there including myself. I wonder if they are still updating it.

As for rank, it is ranking by score, however all the veterans are ranked before civilians. Last time I checked I was 2659 with a 98. But I was tied with around 1600 people. The next score 99 was 1808 and 100 was 1665. If you look at list and use this as a starting you'll see that rank 4141 is a 97, rank 5787 is a 96...and so on. I believe how that works. If I'm wrong please correct me

one more thing, how come some of the veteran status is left blank and some says civilian/ non veteran? what does civilian/non veteran mean? for example, im a non-veteran and my status box is blank, and others that are non veteran say civilian/ non veteran.

Does anybody know if we can refuse more than 3 offers now? My dad said back in the day they could only turn down 3 offers before they were SOL.

Did anybody get to choose any preferences? Didn't they stop that? Cuz I couldn't do it

Anybody??

First I've heard of this. I know there's a way to request that, after you get pulled, you can request to remain on the list should there be a future certification.

Does anybody know if we can refuse more than 3 offers now? My dad said back in the day they could only turn down 3 offers before they were SOL.

Did anybody get to choose any preferences? Didn't they stop that? Cuz I couldn't do it

Anybody??

This is the email I recevied when I asked the question.
"Civil Service Entry-Level Police Officer & Firefighter Eligible Lists will be maintained statewide, removing limited non-resident locations selection, which will provide more potential hiring opportunities for applicants. You will appear on the Eligible List as a Resident for the community that you claimed Residency Preference in, if any; and you will appear on the statewide Eligible List in rank and preference order, and will be notified by mail/email if your name is reached for consideration in any other community.

Regards,

Civil Service"

Plus when I emailed them and faxed them my disabled vet status a month ago it has still yet to be corrected. They still have me as civilian non-veteran

EDIT** the reason I have not been updated is because i sent them the dd214 long form service 2. They want the short version the dd214 member 4 form. umm there the same except the long has the type of dischage and some other info.

Last edited:
I had e-mailed the Massachusetts Department of Veterans Services about the problem with the state and the dd214 blah blah blah. ... well I just got off the phone with the Massachusetts Department of Veterans Services. They had a meeting with the Massachusetts Department of Human Resources - civil service division. They will now be accepting ALL copies of the DD214.

This means they will be accepting my copy and any veteran who was denied there status will now be allowed to submit their papers and receive there status. So if you are or know of a veteran who was denied veterans preference resend your copy of your dd214.

I would assume that NH has a standard academy like MA. Im not sure, maybe someone can fill us in? I know Nashua has a hard test (as so a buddy has told me)

You just find a police department that is hiring though, and they hire you, and then you go to the academy, right??

I don't even know the process.

I am thinking it's time for a career change.

I would assume that NH has a standard academy like MA. Im not sure, maybe someone can fill us in? I know Nashua has a hard test (as so a buddy has told me)

There is at least one NH police academy located at NH Technical Institute, Institute Dr, Concord, NH.

When we visited the McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center a few years ago, the cadets were doing drills between NHTI and the Discovery Center (it is on NHTI's grounds).

No idea if they have any other academies in NH.

Has anybody gotten anything about a job? I know a couple towns were waiting for the list so they could hire more people, but everyone I know is still waiting. I hope they don't take too long, I need change

There is at least one NH police academy located at NH Technical Institute, Institute Dr, Concord, NH.

When we visited the McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center a few years ago, the cadets were doing drills between NHTI and the Discovery Center (it is on NHTI's grounds).

No idea if they have any other academies in NH.

That's the Law Enforcement Training Standards on Institute Drive in Concord. They ran academies for a variety of law enforcement when I was there - PT Police Officers, Full-time Police Officers, County Corrections academy, as well as the academy for the state prisons. I moved to NH at the end of the summer and recently had my graduation there. I am curious too if they do academies anywhere else in the state.

Last edited:
Develop a bad attitude toward authority while serving in the National Guard. Work out at the gym two or three days a week. Abuse your girlfriend. Shave your head to cover up your steroid abuse and look "tough". Roll up the sleeves on your short sleeve shirt so everyone can see how bulky you are. Get a family member to pull a few strings for you. And ... BINGO ... you're a small town cop.

optional: extra points for having been a neighborhood bully growing up

Local PD's are interviewing today and tomorrow and I haven't heard anything. Guess ill be taking the next test too.

Don't loose faith man, the list is good for 2 years. You can get your card at any given day, and be off to the academy before you know it.

Move north, south, or west. Unless you're a vet or a member of a protected class this state sucks.

I'm western mass disabled vet. Boston didn't get my info updated so when they finally got it right it was too late. The PD got a list I wasn't on and were doing interviews by the time my name showed up. Town personnel office just said "oh well, you'll have to wait until we conduct more interviews." She didn't even ask my name or anything. The mayor ain't too happy

When the list was updated, I was #1 on the list. After the 402 claims of course.

I would talk with a civil service lawyer. Basically there bypassing you and that is illegal. I'm number 24 in the state list because I live in a non cs town. So my chances are mbta and sp. Yes I'm a DV.

I just got a "NOTICE TO GARNER INTEREST IN A POSITION/VACANCY FOR A PARTICULAR DEPARTMENT." I'm my email. Not where I would like, but if it goes well my foot will be in the door.

So I get to go sign my card at the pd next week. I was planning on going in a suit you know, to look presentable. It's this to much to sign the card?

So I get to go sign my card at the pd next week. I was planning on going in a suit you know, to look presentable. It's this to much to sign the card?
Wear a suit absolutely. I do backgrounds for my department and that's the first thing my boss asks me. Also if you have a Facebook, make sure there's nothing even remotely stupid on it.

Wear a suit absolutely. I do backgrounds for my department and that's the first thing my boss asks me. Also if you have a Facebook, make sure there's nothing even remotely stupid on it.

Sounds good. Thank you for your advice. I have deactivated my account for FB just because you never know.
Thanks again

Yeah I love all the people that deactivate at certain times thinking they are clever. If you need to deactivate your account you are trying to hide something, or at least you raise that red flag.

Yeah I love all the people that deactivate at certain times thinking they are clever. If you need to deactivate your account you are trying to hide something, or at least you raise that red flag.

My profile had nothing improper on it. In fact it was primarily to keep in contact with prior marine vets. It was 99% military related. I deactivated it because I am good friends with a police chief in another town who told me that his officers were not allowed to have fb accounts. It kept them from making a stupid mistake. If I don't have it I can't be told to get rid of it! That's all.

Back
Top Bottom