Becoming a LEO officer...

My profile had nothing improper on it. In fact it was primarily to keep in contact with prior marine vets. It was 99% military related. I deactivated it because I am good friends with a police chief in another town who told me that his officers were not allowed to have fb accounts. It kept them from making a stupid mistake. If I don't have it I can't be told to get rid of it! That's all.

Well that's stupid that his officers aren't allowed to have a Facebook account. No offense to your friend but if his officer's are going to make a mistake, then he should deal with it accordingly and not forbid them from utilizing Facebook while off duty.

I guess Big Boy Rules don't apply there.

When I was in the process of applying for the Vermont State Police two things were clear. You had to be honest (since they gave a polygraph test to all applicants) and you had to be in great physical shape.

Well that's stupid that his officers aren't allowed to have a Facebook account. No offense to your friend but if his officer's are going to make a mistake, then he should deal with it accordingly and not forbid them from utilizing Facebook while off duty.

I guess Big Boy Rules don't apply there.

Thank you for your input. But you know anything can and will be used against you in a court of law LEO or not. Use this for an example. On your FB page you have a picture with the American flag saying with the pledge of allegiance and a quote “If you don’t like it you can get out.” This is fine; it is freedom of speech and religion. However, you just arrested someone of Middle Eastern ethnicity and you will have to go to court for it. In the court room there lawyer states to the jury that you are racially biased based on this post and you profiled them because of their ethnicity. They have this post to use against you because it is public information on FB. Just because it is not a bad thing to you; someway, somehow, someone will find a way to use it against you. Period! This is what we would call covering your 6, in fact prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

Im not here to start trouble with anyone just talking about what I think, can and will happen.

Thanks for the help!

When I went through my BI, the investigator said it raises a lot of red flags with him when applicants outright delete their FB accounts. He said cleaning it up of any questionable content is just common sense, but to outright delete it just makes him wonder how much bad stuff was on it that the applicant had to go all scorched earth on it. I'm not saying that's how it will be viewed when you go through the process, and I'm certainly not saying you're trying to conceal anything (I also use mine just to keep in touch with dudes from my old arty battery), but just food for thought.

When I went through my BI, the investigator said it raises a lot of red flags with him when applicants outright delete their FB accounts. He said cleaning it up of any questionable content is just common sense, but to outright delete it just makes him wonder how much bad stuff was on it that the applicant had to go all scorched earth on it. I'm not saying that's how it will be viewed when you go through the process, and I'm certainly not saying you're trying to conceal anything (I also use mine just to keep in touch with dudes from my old arty battery), but just food for thought.

I get your point and it does make sense. I can reactavate it. I chose the option that does not delete your profile but hides it from everyone like you did. You can come back to it at a later point and still have all your information pics and posts. And again good looking out. Thanks

I know where you are coming from but it would depend on what you arrested them for. Especially if it's going to trial.

If someone posted that, and arrested a person with middle Easter decent for something bogus instead of summonsing the person, sure I can see where the lawyer can use this angle.

I have two boys. One is 24, and a Sgt serving with the Army. One is 18 and a HS Senior. Neither has a Facebook account. One thinks it's ghey, the other thinks it's a conspiracy. Bless them both.

my BI just had me pull up my FB infront of him and go through it
This. That's all I do. Tell you right now to get a FB printout for a BI? No effing way. I've dealt with FB on numerous occasions ( their security people) and it's simple, but not that simple to get stuff. I'd love to know what dept had your FB printout in front of him/her cause that's BS.

Such things can happen.

If you only knew how many times TraineeYOOHOO, got called out at FLETC. Post something bad in a public forum+bunch of guys who take it seriously+pretty decent investigative skills= found out pretty quick. Finding a hole to hide in is up to the poster.

Back
Top Bottom