Becoming a NRA Instructor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khackz

NES Member
Hey Guys,

Looking to get some info on becoming a certified instructor to teach a Basic Safety class to allow MA residents to apply for their LTC. Any info would be greatly appreciated as the NRA website is a little difficult to follow.

Thanks!

Readers Digest Version ---- To be an NRA instructor, you will need to take and pass the basic class in the discipline you want - in this case Home Firearm Safety. Then need to take the day long instructors training course (Basic Instructor Training aka BIT) which will show/teach you the NRA way to instruct their various training programs. After completing BIT, will take the instructor class for Home Firearm Safety. To teach students the course and provide certificates to the students that will allow them to apply for LTC , you will need to register with MA State Police. Info here: Firearms Safety Instructors Certification (Basic Firearms Safety & LEOSA)

Hey Guys,

Looking to get some info on becoming a certified instructor to teach a Basic Safety class to allow MA residents to apply for their LTC. Any info would be greatly appreciated as the NRA website is a little difficult to follow.

Thanks!

reach out to Jon Green at GOAL and ask when his next class is. www.goal.org

I just did this in April... great class and Jon's an excellent teacher... lots of good ideas get thrown around with everyone's unique experiences... just don't call it a "weapon".

Readers Digest Version ---- To be an NRA instructor, you will need to take and pass the basic class in the discipline you want - in this case Home Firearm Safety. Then need to take the day long instructors training course (Basic Instructor Training aka BIT) which will show/teach you the NRA way to instruct their various training programs. After completing BIT, will take the instructor class for Home Firearm Safety. To teach students the course and provide certificates to the students that will allow them to apply for LTC , you will need to register with MA State Police. Info here: Firearms Safety Instructors Certification (Basic Firearms Safety & LEOSA)

You can also get certified for NRA Pistol Instructor and teach that to satisfy the MA licensing requirement, it doesn’t have to be Home Firearm Safety. Personally I’d never certify someone without live fire, HFS doesn’t have a live fire component, Basic Pistol does. Also, I think basic pistol is more what people are looking for when going for their LTC.

That being said, Jon Greene’s HFS Instructor class is awesome.

You can also get certified for NRA Pistol Instructor and teach that to satisfy the MA licensing requirement, it doesn’t have to be Home Firearm Safety. Personally I’d never certify someone without live fire, HFS doesn’t have a live fire component, Basic Pistol does. Also, I think basic pistol is more what people are looking for when going for their LTC.

That being said, Jon Greene’s HFS Instructor class is awesome.
yes.. in order to take NRA Basic Pistol, you would have had to (will have to) take that class. So depending on which class you took to get your LTC, you may have already taken the Basic Pistol class.

Look back on your MA Certificate to see which class you took. If it's LTC-002 you should be set to take Basic Pistol Instructor.

HFS is a four hour class, Basic pistol is eight hours. For the student, either one results in the same outcome - ability to apply for MA LTC. Some people are motivated by spending less time, others by knowledge/experience gained. Think live fire is important to drive home the safety lessons presented in HFS, but that is my opinion and not the collective wisdom of MA or the NRA.

HFS is a four hour class, Basic pistol is eight hours. For the student, either one results in the same outcome - ability to apply for MA LTC. Some people are motivated by spending less time, others by knowledge/experience gained. Think live fire is important to drive home the safety lessons presented in HFS, but that is my opinion and not the collective wisdom of MA or the NRA.
Right. Some people come to the process with extensive experience and just need to check a box, while others are touching a firearm for the first time in their class. Understanding where your students are on that spectrum is important.

and add an hour or so for the MA law section that is required..

Exactly. I’m certified to teach both, I would not teach HFS as a licensing class but others might. There’s a place for both classes.

I'd be interested in taking Basic Pistol Instructor class as well..
Since you have recently done the BIT class, you can skip BIT and just take the basic pistol instructor class, assuming you have already taken basic pistol. Only have to do BIT every two years and only if looking to add additional certifications.

The pistol instructor class will be very helpful with the Women on Target Program. Think more material carries over from basic pistol than HFS.

Right. Some people come to the process with extensive experience and just need to check a box, while others are touching a firearm for the first time in their class. Understanding where your students are on that spectrum is important.

Spot on! I taught a course to a former co-worker for gratis. I took him to the range 3 times, and every time he would start shaking and sweating when I handed him a 9mm handgun. Since we lived about 50 miles apart, I finally told him that he needed to find another instructor because there was no way I would pass his live fire session. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did. He never did get his license.

Exactly. I’m certified to teach both, I would not teach HFS as a licensing class but others might. There’s a place for both classes.
I was extremely pissed that TX made me take a live fire test to get my LTC when I got here.
I had been in the National Guard (yeah, I know). I had been licensed in at least 4 states.
AND I had been an NRA certified and MA approved instructor and had taught MANY men and women how to safely and effectively use firearms.

So yes, people come from various backgrounds and I would gladly teach HFS for purposes of licensing.

I was extremely pissed that TX made me take a live fire test to get my LTC when I got here.
I had been in the National Guard (yeah, I know). I had been licensed in at least 4 states.
AND I had been an NRA certified and MA approved instructor and had taught MANY men and women how to safely and effectively use firearms.

So yes, people come from various backgrounds and I would gladly teach HFS for purposes of licensing.
What you are describing is the exception rather than the rule in MA, most people taking the course in MA have zero experience w guns. I said I personally would teach Basic Pistol vs HFS for the licensing requirements, others are free to teach what they like.

Reviving an old thread, but I've been looking into becoming an instructor and I found some excellent information here! Does anyone know if this info is still good as of now, or any recent updates? I'll be looking into this further! (Knew I liked this place.)

I used to be impressed when I met someone who was an NRA certified instructor. That was until I became one and realized how low the standards were. The test was equivalent to a driving license test asking what a red light signifies.

Last edited:
I used to be impressed when I met someone who was an NRA certified instructor. That was until I became one and realized how low the standards were. The test was equivalent to a driving license test asking what a red light signifies.

I remember you. You were the guy in our Instructor class that showed up dressed in tactical gear and muzzled yourself several times. Then pointed the firearm at the Instructor and was finally asked to leave. Glad you found an Instructor that dumbed it down for you to pass. Some of us take this very seriously and thrive to be the best. Sorry that wasn't your experience. Welcome to the forum.

Reviving an old thread, but I've been looking into becoming an instructor and I found some excellent information here! Does anyone know if this info is still good as of now, or any recent updates? I'll be looking into this further! (Knew I liked this place.)
The NRA process is unchanged - need to take the basic class you want to teach (HFS, Basic Pistol, etc...) Go through NRA BIT (Basic Instructor Training), take the instructors class in that discipline.

Stop trying to look into an accepted way of ball sucking the government that is actively trying to oppress you.

If you feel the desire to teach others, then do it of your own volition,

Stop trying to look into an accepted way of ball sucking the government that is actively trying to oppress you.

If you feel the desire to teach others, then do it of your own volition,
I do already, but I found a passion for it and have been told I am a very good teacher. It's something I've been thinking about making a career (even a part time career) out of. While I enjoy it, it's doing nothing but choosing me money right now.

I remember you. You were the guy in our Instructor class that showed up dressed in tactical gear and muzzled yourself several times. Then pointed the firearm at the Instructor and was finally asked to leave. Glad you found an Instructor that dumbed it down for you to pass. Some of us take this very seriously and thrive to be the best. Sorry that wasn't your experience. Welcome to the forum.
YOU ARE A LIAR. I didnt take it in New England so you DONT remember me, you NEVER SAW me. You have no idea who I am. You lie like a libturd.

YOU ARE A LIAR. I didnt take it in New England so you DONT remember me, you NEVER SAW me. You have no idea who I am. You lie like a libturd.
I believe that was a sarcastic reply from someone who believes they know more than you do even though you are an instructor.

Although I am surprised how easy it is to become a certified instructor, especially in MA. The new bill may change that.

Folks, dial it back or I will lock this thread.

As for becoming an NRA certified instructor, yes, it isn’t hard. You have to pass the course as a student yourself, and then take the instructor course from an NRA training counselor. You do have to demonstrate to the training counselor that you know what you are doing.

I’ve competed with Jon Green, taken classes from him, and helped out at a couple Women on Target events that he ran. I consider Jon to be a friend. I think he is an outstanding instructor and I recommend him highly.

The added benefit of becoming an instructor is that it meets most states, if not all, required certification for applying for a non-resident permit, so just do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom