• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beekeeping

If you have a weak hive that you don't think will make it bring it in side, they stay warm enough to move around to get to the food. Have done it for a few years and they usually do well in the spring. they come in late November early december and back out when the weather breaks in. This was the hive in my living room my second year with bees. bees.jpg

Interesting. I thought they need to be able to leave the hive and fly around even during winter ..”cleaning flights”?
I forget what it’s called offhand. Last year’s hives were incredibly strong so I’m surprised they died. This year I’m gonna do a few things different

I have a 1 1/4 tube from the hive entrance to the window, Christmas eve that year was ln the mid 60's .... all the bees where out flying around on the porch and i was having a family party....

I have a 1 1/4 tube from the hive entrance to the window, Christmas eve that year was ln the mid 60's .... all the bees where out flying around on the porch and i was having a family party....
The Bride spotted a hive at KTP on the west side of the second floor with a tube to the outside,
by a non-customer-accessible outdoor balcony.
Probably here.

From a window that looks out onto the balcony
you can see them commuting between work and home at the tube portal.

I plan on taking mine off soon, probably this weekend. Then I will treat the hives and see how they are doing on weight, If they are upto weight and every thing looks good, supers can go back on with drawn comb after extracting and try to catch the golden rod flow in september. The golden rod honey is a lot different than the honey we get in the summer so its nice to seperate it. To prevent feeding the bees I like to let them keep what they need

EC51CB39-4BA6-4C69-95E2-AE4C4FA02AC0.png
i have so much honey still in frame and other then the hive that got raped by mice over winter , i still have plenty of deep supers still full of honey.

this is the burr comb from a hive i left a couple frames out when i dumped in a package... i had to manually release the queens. This is the burr comb one hive generated in less then 18h.

I really want to use frames without the plastic foundation installed or just the top piece of wood from the frame on a hive this year.

no wires or nothing...

its just more challenging to manage a hive without it.... might be manageable with just the top super....maybe with a queen excluder.

i just think your likely to kill more bees manageing the hive letting them just go wild.

So my GF just started opening the hives for the first time ... she was doing it with no protective gear... i was smiling and laughing as i inspected the hives.

got stung once real good in the mouth so i ran off.. got stung a few more times.

only the one in the mouth hurt... turns out i got stung a few times in the mouth/lips.

Im suprised women dont do this instead of collagen in the lips.

i have a serious case of dick sucking lips even the next day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom