Before you stock in the next 10,000 rounds of ammo, maybe you should stop and think.

The hell with work........... I'm going to the range tomorrow morning to do my part to burn thru 1000 rounds 500 22lr, 200 9 mm ,250, .45acp 50 .357..........then tomorrow night I'll start reloading all the brass for next range trip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Great plan! I’d join you but gotta go pick up a truckload of components tomorrow. Soon as I can roll them I’ll rinse and repeat [rofl]

In one of the classes that I took, the instructor suggested keeping 4,000 rounds for every caliber of gun in your collection.

In reading some of the posts here, I'm hearing that people are stockpiling 10, 20 and 30,000 rounds of ammo and up, and they're still buying more.

Just like the folks who descended upon the stores to clean out the paper towels, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer, panic buying is great for you, but it prevents the rest of us from getting any. It also drives prices through the roof.

I usually buy my summer's supply of ammo in the spring, but because of the panic, I've not been able to get any.

Yes, you have the right to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds, but when you do this, you screw everyone else who is worried about the civil unrest situation, or having enough ammo to maintain qualification.

Just a thought.
I don’t have nearly that amount, but panic buying has happened every couple of years since as long as I remember. But it when you can and you won’t be effected by price hikes and shortages

In one of the classes that I took, the instructor suggested keeping 4,000 rounds for every caliber of gun in your collection

This is totally ridiculous for shooters who have an interest in oddball calibers. And by "oddball", I mean anything outside of 9x19, .45ACP, .22LR, .223, .308, .30-06, and 12-gauge. "Well, shit boys, I just bought a single shot 32-gauge Frolovka. Guess I better buy 4000 rounds!"

There are guys who literally shoot one box of ammo a year, maybe, and that's enough for them. If they want to have that amount, that's their prerogative. On the flip side, serious competitors can easily breeze through tens of thousands of rounds per year.

Buy what you can, when you can, before you need it.

In one of the classes that I took, the instructor suggested keeping 4,000 rounds for every caliber of gun in your collection.

{snip!}

Just a thought.
... and kind of a rowdy bunch of responses to your thought, but this is NES after all. [laugh] It kinda goes with the territory. [cheers]

But at least I learned that I don't have nearly enough ammo. :oops: I thought I was good. More than good, in fact. Apparently I'm not. 😝

In the majority of the popular centerfire calibers, I don't yet have 4,000 rounds. Just .22 LR and 9mm would satisfy that criteria. I think I better start buying again. [thumbsup]

This is totally ridiculous for shooters who have an interest in oddball calibers. And by "oddball", I mean anything outside of 9x19, .45ACP, .22LR, .223, .308, .30-06, and 12-gauge. "Well, shit boys, I just bought a single shot 32-gauge Frolovka. Guess I better buy 4000 rounds!"

There are guys who literally shoot one box of ammo a year, maybe, and that's enough for them. If they want to have that amount, that's their prerogative. On the flip side, serious competitors can easily breeze through tens of thousands of rounds per year.

Buy what you can, when you can, before you need it.

You made Google 32 gauge Frolovka. I thought you were pulling my chain at first because I added an O and ended up with wire gauge listings. Then I discovered that a Frovloka (damn spelling??)was a Russian inter-war (I and II assumedly) Moisin converted to a 32 gauge (more seldom 28 gauge) shotgun for hunting purposes. I found the info in a Forgotten Weapons comment section of all places.

This seems an appropriate time for everyone to review and ensure personal storage is compliant with Code of Massachusetts Regulation (CMR) 13.04:

527 CMR 13.04: Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Certificates

(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:

(a) Small Arms Ammunition
1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.
2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.
3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition.

(b) Small Arms Ammunition Primers
1. Not more than 1,000 caps or other small arms primers.

(c) Smokeless Propellants
1. Not more than 16 pounds.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store Smokeless Propellants.
3. Not more than two pounds of such propellant shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.

(d) Black Powder
1. Not more than two pounds.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store black powder.

(e) Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

(f) Special industrial explosive devices when in quantities of less than 50 pounds net weight of explosives.

(2) Storage By Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, and Registration, and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure provided a permit has been obtained from the head of the local fire department;

(a) Small Arms Ammunition: Private Use. Small arms ammunition in amounts over that specified in 527 CMR 13.04(1), that do not exceed 100,000 total rounds at any one time, may be kept for private use provided none of the individual limitations listed below are exceeded.
1. 10,001 to 30,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.
2. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of center fire ammunition not to include shotgun ammunition.
3. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition not to include center fire ammunition.

(b) Small Arms Ammunition: Commercial Use. Not to exceed 200,000 rounds in any combination.

(c) Small Arms Ammunition Primers: Private Use
Not to exceed 10,000 Small Arms Ammunition Primers.

(d) Small Arms Ammunition Primers: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 100,000 Small Arms Ammunition Primers.

(e) Smokeless Propellants: Private Use
1. Not to exceed 48 pounds Smokeless Propellants.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store Smokeless Propellants.
3. The head of the local fire department may limit the quantity of smokeless propellants stored by permit to as low as two pounds if such propellant shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.

(f) Smokeless Propellants: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 100 pounds smokeless propellant.

(g) Black Powder: Private Use
1. Not to exceed five pounds of black powder.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store black powder.
3. The head of the local fire department may limit the quantity of black powder stored by permit to as low as two pounds if such black powder shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.

(h) Black Powder: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 50 pounds of black powder.

...and relevant penalties in Massachusetts General Law (MGL), C. 148 § 16:

Section 16. Whoever keeps, stores, uses, manufactures, sells, handles or otherwise disposes of any of the articles mentioned in section nine, in violation of section twelve or thirteen or of any regulation, ordinance or by-law made under section nine, or whoever violates any regulation made under section thirteen, or whoever, not being exempt from the provisions of section thirteen relating to the filing of a certificate of registration, fails to file said certificate and to pay such fee as may be established under section thirteen, shall, except as provided in sections fifteen and thirty-five and in section one hundred and two A of chapter two hundred and sixty-six, be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one month, or both.

Of course the above regulation and statute are enforceable only in the state of Massachusetts but they appeal to common sense everywhere. Please contact my office with any questions.

Citations:

This seems an appropriate time for everyone to review and ensure personal storage is compliant with Code of Massachusetts Regulation (CMR) 13.04:

Of course the above regulation and statute are enforceable only in the state of Massachusetts but they appeal to common sense everywhere. Please contact my office with any questions.

Citations:
Thank you, dimples

You should hook up with the guy who wanted people to cap the price of used firearms because he thought people where charging more than he wanted to pay and it just wasn't fair. :)

I've gone through 1k in a day at a full day training. I know someone who shoots 1k a week. I know someone who shoots 200 a day but she works at a range.

I shoot about once a week.

I guess ymmv on the amount to keep on hand
I shoot around 500-600/week. The weeks that I can slow myself down, I shoot around 250 and the weeks I dont give a f*ck and want to practice I will go through more than 600.

4K of one caliber is not enough.

I start freaking out when I am down to 8K primers. [laugh] at my rate, that is less than 4 months of shooting.

Citations:

Holy f***. You must be a gas at the neighborhood partys.

Citations:
Ok Karen

Citations:

Lol. Thats pretty funny.

You made Google 32 gauge Frolovka. I thought you were pulling my chain at first because I added an O and ended up with wire gauge listings. Then I discovered that a Frovloka (damn spelling??)was a Russian inter-war (I and II assumedly) Moisin converted to a 32 gauge (more seldom 28 gauge) shotgun for hunting purposes. I found the info in a Forgotten Weapons comment section of all places.

32-gauge is a legit "thing." I think the most common use for 32-gauge here in the US is quail hunting down South or snipe.

Shooting the Gordy & Sons Fantastic 32-Gauge Quail Gun

TheSnipeHunter.com - A Thirty-Two Gauge?

32 Gauge

And, yes, a Frolovka is a Mosin converted into a shotgun. Russian gun laws then and now are more lenient when it comes to shotgun ownership than rifle ownership. So, having a Mosin turned into a shotgun was a relatively simple way of both owning a Mosin and a shotgun. In Europe, this used to be pretty common with old service rifles, like G98s, SMLEs, Chassepots, Gras, Breda 1927s, etc. Before the Frolovka was the Berdanka. Just like the Frolovka, a Berdanka is a shotgun conversion of the Berdan I and II rifles for consumer ownership.

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice one person's panic buying is another person's preparation. It's all perspective I guess.
Man, ain't that the truth. [laugh] It's also funny to me how everything is relative. One's idea of adequate preparation all depends on what conditions are at the time... so that's why you see people with a ton of ammo buying more even when prices are up (because those prices are up for a reason). [mg]

In reading some of the posts here, I'm hearing that people are stockpiling 10, 20 and 30,000 rounds of ammo and up, and they're still buying more.

Just like the folks who descended upon the stores to clean out the paper towels, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer, panic buying is great for you, but it prevents the rest of us from getting any. It also drives prices through the roof.

I usually buy my summer's supply of ammo in the spring, but because of the panic, I've not been able to get any.

Yes, you have the right to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds, but when you do this, you screw everyone else who is worried about the civil unrest situation, or having enough ammo to maintain qualification.

Just a thought.

You can still buy your 4K rounds. You’ll just be paying more.

Citations:

[laugh] [laugh]

Go watch the youtube of 400,000 rounds burning in a fire. The kitchen cupboard shelf with a couple of quarts of olive oil is more dangerous than any amount of primers or ammo.[smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom