Before you stock in the next 10,000 rounds of ammo, maybe you should stop and think.

First, that gun is only 140 years old, so nyah nyah

And a bayonet would be bigger than the gun itself. It makes derringers look massive.

Other than a few hundred Glocks I printed on the 3d, I think my "newest" pistol is 20y old or so. I have a couple of newer rifles, though.

I like old guns.
Where there's a will there's a way

Hoarding and panic buying are two different things. Nothing wrong with hoarding something that is important for you to have a stock of. But that involves slowly buying it either on a schedule or when opportunities present for a good buy. The TP thing wasn't like that at all.
agree...having a shipping container full or TP or ammo that you built up over time is a lot different than waiting for bad news to run out and stock up like crazy....WRT ammo I feel like everyone's been panic buying it for 12 years or so, but given the weak supply the panic buying looked more like slowly stocking up.....I suspect that if suddenly tomorrow the supply of ammo went up by like 500%, everyone would still be on here like "hey anyone know where i can get some damn ammo" [laugh]

Where there's a will there's a way

Those are .32 longs and shorts. The radial revolver shoots a .32 rf EXTRA short.

I had a guy hand load some (he had to cut down the longer brass) and actually shot it a few years ago. It was inspiring.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack.

In the OP...

... the instructor suggested keeping 4,000 rounds for every caliber of gun in your collection. ...

Change this to

... the instructor suggested keeping a large stock (ideally several thousand rounds) for every caliber of gun in your collection that you consider essential for survival or defense. ...

And I will wholeheartedly agree. (with the benchmark, I mean, not necessarily the admonition that we should leave some on the shelves)

Most of us have some heirlooms or "fun" guns that if SHTF would never, ever get used. Keeping reserves for those is just silly.

In one of the classes that I took, the instructor suggested keeping 4,000 rounds for every caliber of gun in your collection.

In reading some of the posts here, I'm hearing that people are stockpiling 10, 20 and 30,000 rounds of ammo and up, and they're still buying more.

Just like the folks who descended upon the stores to clean out the paper towels, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer, panic buying is great for you, but it prevents the rest of us from getting any. It also drives prices through the roof.

I usually buy my summer's supply of ammo in the spring, but because of the panic, I've not been able to get any.

Yes, you have the right to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds, but when you do this, you screw everyone else who is worried about the civil unrest situation, or having enough ammo to maintain qualification.

Just a thought.

No, lets be honest here.....it is NOT "Just a thought".....it is YOU blaming other people for YOU being ill prepared and behind the 8 Ball.

You are trying to garner sympathy for your poor planning.

EABBODs. We are not responsible for your short sightedness.

I gave up a house, a truck and a motorcycle in a divorce. If I'd had reloading equipment at the time - I probably would have lost some of that too.

It's the fcking you get for the fcking you got.

You guys remind me that I got off lucky with $40k in debt and an even equity owed Jeep. Logistics are a pain.

I am reconsidering my weekend 10/22 purchase and thinking about a Dillon instead and some 9mm and .223 flavor dies

You guys remind me that I got off lucky with $40k in debt and an even equity owed Jeep. Logistics are a pain.

I am reconsidering my weekend 10/22 purchase and thinking about a Dillon instead and some 9mm and .223 flavor dies
Don't bother, you can't find components for either of em LOL. Primers are borderline impossible to find lately unless you're in the right place at the right time.

get the10/22. Im going to grab a 22 and try my hand at KYL shooting

50k without a ring on her finger?

Dah Fuk!?!?
Just a number based on a rough calculation on everything I spent over the years that i wouldn't have if i had opted out early. I got off cheap compared to friends who went through a divorce or CS though, i probably wouldn't have survived that shit, thankfully produced no kids with her either. CS is basically legalized slavery.

Don't bother, you can't find components for either of em LOL. Primers are borderline impossible to find lately unless you're in the right place at the right time.
FWIW, There was Plenty of all types of primers for NH residents at shooters outpost 2 when I was there on Friday.

Example

Attachments

• 20200717_102945.jpg
    20200717_102945.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 10
LR and LRM never run out because very few people load cartridges that take it in any kind of volume.

I gave up a house, a truck and a motorcycle in a divorce. If I'd had reloading equipment at the time - I probably would have lost some of that too.

It's the fcking you get for the fcking you got.

You‘re not kidding. I lost my dog, car, and a boatload of money (she literally bought a small old/used sailboat). She didn’t save any of it or invest any of it and still lives with her parents at age ~35.

With all seriousness, if you learn how to reload you can crank out a few thousand rounds in a weekend no problem. It’ll also be better ammo than the door buster stuff you can buy “cheap” from the mail order places. It’s a bit of work but really not that difficult and it’s sort of cathartic to work through the steps of the process.
I don't even try to find the cheapest components, I just buy what I know works for me, and I can reload match quality ammo for less money than steel cased factory 9mm.

If instead of buying 160gr Bayou bullets I switched to something like 124gr blue bullets, and I stopped using N320 powder, I would save even more money.

But ... I also shoot a lot more. So, while I save money per round, I am spending the same amount or more shooting. But I enjoy it more and get to practice more.

Last edited:
You‘re not kidding. I lost my dog, car, and a boatload of money (she literally bought a small old/used sailboat). She didn’t save any of it or invest any of it and still lives with her parents at age ~35.
I lost my two puppies at first. Then I called her a week after I moved out and told her I was taking the dogs and she could go f*ck herself. She actually thanked me, she had to get 2 jobs on top of her part time job after she kicked me out and didn't have time for the puppies.

No one is ever taking my dogs.

Back
Top Bottom