• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Before you stock in the next 10,000 rounds of ammo, maybe you should stop and think.

In one of the classes that I took, the instructor suggested keeping 4,000 rounds for every caliber of gun in your collection.

In reading some of the posts here, I'm hearing that people are stockpiling 10, 20 and 30,000 rounds of ammo and up, and they're still buying more.

Just like the folks who descended upon the stores to clean out the paper towels, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer, panic buying is great for you, but it prevents the rest of us from getting any. It also drives prices through the roof.

I usually buy my summer's supply of ammo in the spring, but because of the panic, I've not been able to get any.

Yes, you have the right to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds, but when you do this, you screw everyone else who is worried about the civil unrest situation, or having enough ammo to maintain qualification.

Just a thought.
I'm late to the party but here's the real deal.

The guys with the stockpiles your so f***ing jealous about......bought it over the years when it was cheap and plentiful. The people raiding the shelves that you are now bitching about ..... are the dumbasses LIKE YOU who have none and never made up a stockpile. I know you said you buy a summers worth in spring .. ..that means you at some point let it hit zero. There's your problem.

Additionally your ignorance in the matter is clear......you think guys that currently have thousands of rounds stocked up bought it during the pandemic rush......and at these prices? No. We've had it for years. I have not bought a single round of ammo since last winter. And I have PLENTY to enjoy shooting and enough components to make plenty more. You got caught with your pants down. Admit it.

Last edited:
Again, with taxes coming up, mortgage payments,
If this is your issue you need a new hobby. I'm serious. Ive been into hunting and shooting for a long time. But I didn't start shooting 2-4 times a week until my mortgage was paid off (accomplished when I was 44 years old), had some spare cash above and beyond 6 months of bill paying money in the bank. Before that I'd go to the range a couple times a month and enjoyed it very much.....but my budget/retirement plan had ammo money a bit further down the list of importance.

If you need to budget that hard to buy ammo and worry about your mortgage......you need a cheaper hobby. I'm not saying dont shoot...maybe just tone it back.

And stop blaming the guys that already have a stash for your current problem. We didn't buy it over the summer and I think you know that.

Last edited:
If this is your issue you need a new hobby. I'm serious. Ive been into hunting and shooting for a long time. But I didn't start shooting 2-4 times a week until my mortgage was paid off (accomplished when I was 44 years old), had some spare cash above and beyond 6 months of bill paying money in the bank. Before that I'd go to the range a couple times a month and enjoyed it very much.....but my budget/retirement plan had ammo money a bit further down the list of importance.
1z6ecx.jpg

Last edited:
Rule number one for retirement plan.....pay off your house. Can live on a fairly modest income at retirement time with no mortgage or rent. Best advice I ever got was from my father in law many many years ago. He was a retired army col. When I went back on active duty he told me to always own a home somewhere. I lived in base housing while I was in.....and rented my house out to pay the mortgage during that time. When i got off active duty and came "home" I only had a few years left of the mortgage and took the house back for me and the family and concentrated on paying it off. Still working full time now and concentrating on saving but I have a little money to play with now until I fully retire.
Military pension plus no house payment equals a damn fine retirement plan. And the house ....it's a tiny 960 square foot ranch......pretty crappy by today's "standards"......but it's mine not the banks. I bought a cheap house as part of the plan. I know way too many people that are "paycheck rich and mortgage poor" because they live in a mcmansion that cost $700k. I paid $117,000 for that ranch in 1999.

Even more advice......never underestimate the power of cash money. When you need work done on a property.....you'd be surprised how much a contractor will discount a job if you offer to pay in dead presidents. I put in a tankless hot water system......asked the guy if he could do better if I paid cash......he said "sure thing I can take the day off". But you have to have cash .....to save cash.

Last edited:
... Best advice I ever got was from my father in law many many years ago. He was a retired army col. When I went back on active duty he told me to always own a home somewhere. I lived in base housing while I was in.....and rented my house out to pay the mortgage during that time. When i got off active duty and came "home" I only had a few years left of the mortgage and took the house back for me and the family and concentrated on paying it off. ...
How'd you manage the risks of being an absentee landlord?
Family in the area?
Paying a management company?
Picked really good/well-known tenants?
Had a solemn understanding with the tenants?

How'd you manage the risks of being an absentee landlord?
Family in the area?
Paying a management company?
Picked really good/well-known tenants?
Had a solemn understanding with the tenants?
Well known tenants and paid a landscape company to cut and plow.

Did have to so some work to it when we got back. Not damage.....paint ...redid the hardwood floors.....all new appliances etc just to make it feel like "ours" after years of others living in it. It was worth it.

Last edited:
Sad, but probably true... not to mention all of the random “trade” offers you could get —what’s that story about that kid who kept trading up his paper clip and ended up with a yacht or mansion or something... imagine the possibilities...[cheers]

I remember that when it was going on.

One Red Paperclip

One red paperclip - Wikipedia

every time i looked at 9mm ammo before covid it was cheap,,,, so i bought 1000 rounds. then I looked again and it was cheaper so I bought 1000 rounds. then it got cheaper and I bought 1000 rounds..... then the price when up and I realized SHIT!!!! I dont even shoot 9mm!!!! I shoot fortay!!!

needless to say I am sitting on any round I want ...... it's an addiction. is there a number i can call?

every time i looked at 9mm ammo before covid it was cheap,,,, so i bought 1000 rounds. then I looked again and it was cheaper so I bought 1000 rounds. then it got cheaper and I bought 1000 rounds..... then the price when up and I realized SHIT!!!! I dont even shoot 9mm!!!! I shoot fortay!!!

needless to say I am sitting on any round I want ...... it's an addiction. is there a number i can call?

Does .40 know you've strayed with that slim little European caliber with more curves?

You need to unburden yourself of all that 9mm, posting a karma would be best [devil]

The past couple years I kept hearing here on NES, "prices are lower than ever" "you'll never see prices this low again".
I took the advice and kept buying, my kids and their friends laughed at my stockpiling for the "zombie apocalypse".
I'm the one laughing now😂

The past couple years I kept hearing here on NES, "prices are lower than ever" "you'll never see prices this low again".
I took the advice and kept buying, my kids and their friends laughed at my stockpiling for the "zombie apocalypse".
I'm the one laughing now😂
Good man

Thanks for bumping this thread, im just popping in to tell the op I bought the last 3 boxes of .22 at Walmart yesterday. Not because I need it, I have more then enough, but because f*** you op.

Stopped in Walmart yesterday to check the ammo counter. It used to be fairly substantial. Not yesterday.
There were perhaps 75 boxes of ammo there, total. No handgun ammo at all, no .22, no buckshot, no slugs.
The rifle ammo that was there was the less common calibers.

Back
Top Bottom