• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beginner bow for 10 yr old, advice please.

silversquirrel

NES Member
Looking for a suggestion on a shop, possibly local, to get a starter setup for my 10 year old boy. Havent been to ktp in years, but I recall a good selection there.
Any place on the North Shore, or a road trip? Are the kids compound bows any good, or should he start with a kids recurve?
Buy online?
Thanks

From personal observation in my family. When grandson Little Jack was 10 his dad took him to a good bow shop in NH, bought him a good adjustable compound and had him fitted at the shop. Jack practiced for months till he could do 6" groups consistently at 18-20 yards. That fall he took a button horn buck with it. Do it right the first time. Jack.

I think I saw a new PSE that’s adjustable from 10 to 40 lbs and with a equally wide swing in draw length. I’ve never had a problem with KTP Archery department. However I would suggest going mid week if you’re going to be setting up a bow. Good luck!

The bear cruzer g2 adjust from 5 to 70 lb. Draw length adjust from 12 in to 30 in. No bow press needed. They stock that at kittery trading Post. Comes RTH. for about $425

I got my wife set up with a Mission Craze at KTP when we lived out that way. I dont remember exactly but $400 or less and its a fully adjustable bow both draw length and poundage (24-30" maybe lower length, id have to look, and 15-70 pounds). You kid could grow with a bow along those lines.

Big Al's Archery in Salisbury, MA. is great for getting kids set up. They have a big indoor range there and give J.O.A.D. classes. (junior olympic archery development).

JOAD is basically archery classes and competitions geared for kids between about 8 and late teens, though adults can join the kids. They do the classes in 8 week sessions with 1 meeting/wk and a "shoot for score" at the end which is basically an indoor competition format shoot. Like the NRA Marksman program, they have ranks and pins you earn at these end of session "pin shoots". The next session starts January 11. If you don't have a bow they have a stable of youth recurve bows.

My son did this for 2 years and after his 2nd session I joined the fun. He shot Olympic recurve and I shot compound. The instruction was good and it was good to have a reason to get out of the house and shoot. The instructors are really great with little kids. Big grumpy old men that have the kids smiling and giving them shit back.

Ton's of good bows out there for kids, don't need any crazy complicated setup. Just get the bow properly setup and fitted and buy extra arrows and learn how to fletch arrows yourself lol

I can say I had a good experience at Big Al's in Salisbury this past weekend. My 6 and 8 year old are interested in trying archery, and since I have almost no exposure, and we have archery ranges at my club (shoot rifle and pistol, primarily), I wanted to try a local outfitter as opposed to online or Cabela's/Dick's. Good experience, I brought the 6 year old, got him fitted out after explaining that we weren't trying to qualify for the Olympics, but wanted something that wasn't a toy. There were a few people there and the gentleman working mentioned that someone had called out sick so he was understaffed, but he was pleasant and took the time we needed. We could've gotten the equipment for a little less online, but the personalized help without any condescension or pretentiousness was worth far more than the small difference in price.

Looking for a suggestion on a shop, possibly local, to get a starter setup for my 10 year old boy. Havent been to ktp in years, but I recall a good selection there.
Any place on the North Shore, or a road trip? Are the kids compound bows any good, or should he start with a kids recurve?
Buy online?
Thanks

Like most mentioned here. Get something highly adjustable in Draw weight and draw length. They make a lot of different bows like that nowadays. Then when they reach maturity thats the time to get them the more expensive less adjustable proshop type bow if they are serious.

Pelletiers in Jaffrey, NH carries almost every brand and people there are great at working with new archers and fitting them. Tax free too.

Back
Top Bottom