• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bell Gardens Mayor Daniel Crespo Shot to Death; Wife Released

A California mayor was shot and killed Tuesday during what authorities told NBC News was a domestic dispute involving his wife and son. Daniel Crespo Sr., 45, was shot "multiple" times in the upper torso about 2:30 p.m. local time (5:30 p.m. ET), the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said. Crespo, who is mayor of the Los Angeles-area city of Bell Gardens, died a short time later at a hospital. His wife Lyvette Crespo, 43, was detained, questioned and later released without being charged.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bell-gardens-mayor-daniel-crespo-shot-death-wife-released-n215481

Im a bit confused. According to the article, the wife shot her husband but she wasn't arrested. Strange

Same place as Bell Gardens?

Close....

78a73e64e4cdd420438268d1c9fa62a4.png

Image hoster is running a bit slow, be patient

Do you understand the purpose of an arrest? Okay you don't. An Arrest is made when the party is unable to be Identified after a violation of law is committed , a danger to the public if not taken into custody, or to ensure their appearance in court, And lastly the statute mandates an arrest be made(Domestic Violence Case). I did not address a warrant which is a court order.
So there is no reason to arrest her when they can issue an order for her to appear before the grand jury or when a complaint is issued a summons or warrant.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Do you understand the purpose of an arrest? Okay you don't. An Arrest is made when the party is unable to be Identified after a violation of law is committed , a danger to the public if not taken into custody, or to ensure their appearance in court, And lastly the statute mandates an arrest be made(Domestic Violence Case). I did not address a warrant which is a court order.
So there is no reason to arrest her when they can issue an order for her to appear before the grand jury or when a complaint is issued a summons or warrant.

It also says she wasn't charged though. Where it says it was a "domestic dispute" I'm wondering if he got a little violent with her and the son, and she shot him in self defense. The whole "shot multiple times" thing makes it sound very unlikely that it was an accident, and they're now going to refer the case to the DA to see if charges will be filed. If a shooting was not accidental, and not worthy of immediately filing criminal charges, what's the only option that's left?

But don't worry, even if it was legitimate self defense, this shooting will still be used by antis to pad their statistics about how you're more likely to use your gun to shoot a loved one than a bad guy.

Last edited:
Im a bit confused. According to the article, the wife shot her husband but she wasn't arrested. Strange

In states with an effective criminal justice system, the police investigate before they arrest someone if there appears to be a valid self-defense claim. Here, the PC for arrest is so low, the cops arrest everyone and then let the courts sort it out. The problem is most DAs have zero tolerance policies and this ****s over the person who committed self-defense. Because the DA refuses to dismiss and they extract their pound of flesh.

Some states mandate arrest or incentivize it so much, that unless the state declares something not arrestable, the arrest will happen. I can understand someone who, because thats all they ever knew, assumes the rest of the country operates this way.

I took it as dad was pounding on mom and son intervened allowing mom to access the gun. If that is true, then it was probably defense.

If the situation was verbal until son stepped in, then that's a different story.

I took it as dad was pounding on mom and son intervened allowing mom to access the gun. If that is true, then it was probably defense.

If the situation was verbal until son stepped in, then that's a different story.

Pounding on or one punch? The NBC LA link said "a punch". I don't know any more than anyone else, but this is going to be a tough sell. Now, the press will ignore it because she was a female shooting a male, but I hope they investigate well. If she came back with a gun and he was done hitting the kid, this is not self-defense.

In states with an effective criminal justice system, the police investigate before they arrest someone if there appears to be a valid self-defense claim. Here, the PC for arrest is so low, the cops arrest everyone and then let the courts sort it out. The problem is most DAs have zero tolerance policies and this ****s over the person who committed self-defense. Because the DA refuses to dismiss and they extract their pound of flesh.

Isn't this California that we're talking about here?

Isn't this California that we're talking about here?

Just because it's politics is bat shit insane doesn't mean it's courts are. It actually has a very strong court system that holds the government account. The bulk of cases CGF takes are actually state based cases getting damages for improper prosecutions. The courts there don't tolerate the post hoc rationalization stupidity we have here.

so in CA its ok to shoot a man dead because he is punching his son? seems a little extreme.

so in CA its ok to shoot a man dead because he is punching his son? seems a little extreme.

No, it's not OK to shoot a man because he was punching his adult son. That's why there is either more to it or there will be charges. Again, in sane states they don't just arrest and charge someone without good cause, and they take self-defense seriously. There will be an investigation and after that, there will be charges, no charges, etc.

There was a case on the Cape that might have been somewhat similar.

BARNSTABLE — The physician who shot and killed her husband on Easter Sunday after years of domestic abuse will face no charges, Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O'Keefe said yesterday.

A grand jury decided not to indict Dr. Ann Marie Gryboski, who police said shot her husband, Patrick Lancaster, 50, during an argument he was having with her and one of their sons on April 8.

Truth and justice
A documented history of domestic violence can lead to victims avoiding jail time for killing an abuser:
Sept. 15, 1982: Carolyn Best, 35, is charged with murdering her husband after years of domestic abuse. In their Marstons Mills home, Best allegedly killed her husband, Otis, 60, with a single shot to the chest with a .22-caliber rifle. She contends that it was "self defense from atrocious and unprovoked attack." According to grand jury testimony, Otis Best had beaten his wife with the rifle used to kill him, as well as with a broomstick, and he may also have burned her with scalding water and lit cigarettes. Less than a month after she is charged with the killing, Best is freed after a grand jury finds insufficient evidence to indict her. July 13, 1987: Therese Rogers, 33, is accused of stabbing her husband, Walter E. Quinn Jr., to death. After Walter abuses Therese and her 9-year-old daughter for 16 months, Therese fatally stabs Walter in the eyes while he sleeps on the waterbed in the home they share in East Bridgewater. In December 1989, a Brockton Superior Court jury of seven women and five men acquits Rogers of first-degree murder in the stabbing death. The case is believed to be the first successful use of the battered-woman syndrome defense in Massachusetts. Aug. 17, 2007: Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O'Keefe announces Dr. Ann M. Gryboski, the Cape physician who shot and killed her husband, Patrick Lancaster, in April after years of domestic abuse, will face no charges in his death based on the decision of a grand jury.

The grand jury heard testimony from 27 witnesses and returned a "no bill" finding that ended the prosecution against Gryboski.

"This is a finding by the grand jury consistent with the evidence in this particular case," O'Keefe said in a press release.

Full text here: http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070818/NEWS/708180334

Yes, I do have Kevin Reddington's number in my cell phone.

There was a case on the Cape that might have been somewhat similar.

Full text here: http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070818/NEWS/708180334

Yes, I do have Kevin Reddington's number in my cell phone.

But she was arrested, spent time in jail and arraigned in court the next morning.

Gryboski, 51, was arraigned for murder in Barnstable District Court on April 9, the day after the shooting that left Lancaster dying on the floor of the family's Barnstable home. Even then, O'Keefe cited "mitigating circumstances" that led to her being freed on $50,000 bail.

The point of issue/contention here is the immediate treatment of the victim, not the long term treatment. Had O'Keefe been Sutter (who has a zero tolerance gun policy), the GJ would have indicted and she either would have taken a deal or risked life in prison for committing self-defense.

I can't stress enough how people are treated in the immediate aftermath of a self-defense incident (what I call in the PRM committing the crime of self-defense) is very deterministic for how their chances of long term freedom look.

Pounding on or one punch? The NBC LA link said "a punch". I don't know any more than anyone else, but this is going to be a tough sell. Now, the press will ignore it because she was a female shooting a male, but I hope they investigate well. If she came back with a gun and he was done hitting the kid, this is not self-defense.

Normally, in normal times, with non batshit crazy people in charge of the world, leaving the scene and coming back with a gun is not self defense. But one thing changes all of this....

woman

Back
Top Bottom