Belt for IWB, Nylon/Synthetic as good as leather?

Looking for advice on a comfortable gun belt. I like to carry a 1911 IWB and I've tried thick leather belts which support the weight very good, but I can't quite get the right notch so that it's comfortable. I see gun belts made from nylon or some synthetic material but I'm wondering if they are thick or sturdy enough for a 1911 IWB? I don't wont to waste $50 trying something that won't work. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

This.
The 5/32 or 3/16 in this $5 set will do it. Back it up with the end grain on a block of wood. Or spend a few $ more for one of these. I just use a punch, hammer and block of wood myself.

Looks like the punch set I picked up a few years back... Last set of holes I made I used two pieces of cardboard under the belt, over a thick plastic cutting board (and 24oz bp hammer). Might be adding another hole (or two) to my current belt before the replacement arrives. Need to order the replacement still. [wink]

I prefer leather. Only b/c you look like a tweener or a tactical Tom if you wear the nylon 1.5" belt anywhere.

Of course, you can then support your tactical cargo pants with the ankle-pockets. LOL

yeah, additional holes, but what i've done in the past if the belt is expensive is take it to a professional. a shoe repair shop (if you can find one) or a leathercraft person. they will make nice neat holes that will be perfectly centered on your belt for a couple of bucks. google or a local business yellow page book is your friend.

I have a 5.11 1.5" TDU belt that I've used for IWB carry for about 5 years now. I wouldn't call it a stiff belt at all but it's certainly comfortable and does what I need it to do. There are no "holes" to deal with. There are thicker (and wider) versions of this same belt by 5.11 but I chose this one because of the plastic buckle. I also don't carry a 1911 but I don't see why it would be an issue.

BTW, I have one from Andy (NES member) already. Planning to get a new (much shorter) one in 1.5" and possibly a dress belt from him very soon...

https://www.andysleather.com/collections/belts

The belt I have has zero issue supporting my DE1911C pistol. It also had zero issue with my 1911 wide-body pistol (full size) or HK45C either IWB or OWB (depends on which gun holster).

Last edited:
I wasn't aware belt makers were putting steel cores in belts. Nice!

I guess there's no getting through the airport metal detector with one of those on[laugh]

BTW, I have one from Andy (NES member) already. Planning to get a new (much shorter) one in 1.5" and possibly a dress belt from him very soon...

The belt I have has zero issue supporting my DE1911C pistol. It also had zero issue with my 1911 wide-body pistol (full size) or HK45C either IWB or OWB (depends on which gun holster).

I'm having a bit of a sale on belts too! $40 bucks, bridle leather with a wide choice of buckles. https://www.andysleather.com/collections/belts

Golddiggies belts will be on the bench this weekend! (thanks for the mention).

Andy

Yes there are many nice leather carry belts, but OP asked for nylon.

IMHO, the most sturdy belt of any type is the Wilderness 'Instructor ' belt. There are options to make it stiffer than standard as well. Literally strong enough to tow a car.

IMHO, the most sturdy belt of any type is the Wilderness 'Instructor ' belt. There are options to make it stiffer than standard as well. Literally strong enough to tow a car.

I'm friends with the folks at Wilderness, they use their own weave and hardware. Good stuff. (harass them for me when you order)

Wilderness belt the best I'm a big guy 60" belt I added the 5 stitch stiffener and It is the most comfortable belt I have ever worn. Does take about a week or two to get used to it. Been wearing mine for 11 years now with sig 229 in 40 cal. IWB holster worn daily. and make sure you use a very good holster.

Steel core leather or polymer cored nylon. I really like bigfoot gun belts 2x leather steel core. Thing is a tank.

A leather gun belt won't have to be cinched up as tight. To me that's an advantage. I also like a belt buckle hole vs weaving through the buckle for retention.

Now if your talking about a 16oz gun, any belt will do.

Agreed! I've been wearing them longer than I've been carrying guns, so it was a natural transition for me. I have a few, but the one I like the best is a Galco one my wife ordered for me from Cabellas. It has a Robar coated steel buckle and velcro to keep it from slipping adjustment. Had this one for about a year of daily wear and it shows zero signs of any wear. The coating on the buckle is nothing short of amazing.

Though the Wilderness is great for its intended purpose, I too hope to order a shorter black leather 'dress up' carry belt from Andy. We'll see how much I can drop by end of summer. 7 lbs so far.

I have a 5.11 1.5" TDU belt that I've used for IWB carry for about 5 years now. I wouldn't call it a stiff belt at all but it's certainly comfortable and does what I need it to do. There are no "holes" to deal with. There are thicker (and wider) versions of this same belt by 5.11 but I chose this one because of the plastic buckle. I also don't carry a 1911 but I don't see why it would be an issue.

What length?

If you like the look of leather, I've been pleased with the performance of my Aker leather belts with the polymer insert.

Back
Top Bottom