• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bench rests?

84ta406

NES Member
Going to be shooting a lot more rifle soon and figured I'd work on equipment and such. What are you using for a bench rest? I've seen the foam x blocks and such. What do you guys like or dislike? Not looking to spend a fortune but looking for something that can be pretty repeatable. I shoot mainly .223, .308, .300WM if recoil is would be any issues. $_10.jpeg

For basic stuff, I actually like that foam block setup. Sand bags might be a little more stable and a rear sand bag can be squished for tiny adjustments. Serious benchrest shooters can spend up to $800 on a set up.

I use a Caldwell 'Rock' but with a leather front rest and leather rear bag. With a capable rifle I can get 100 yard groups ~.3 to .5 MOA and have shot my tightest group of .11"

Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rifle Front Shooting Rest Deluxe Rear

For basic stuff, I actually like that foam block setup. Sand bags might be a little more stable and a rear sand bag can be squished for tiny adjustments. Serious benchrest shooters can spend up to $800 on a set up.

I use a Caldwell 'Rock' but with a leather front rest and leather rear bag. With a capable rifle I can get 100 yard groups ~.3 to .5 MOA and have shot my tightest group of .11"

Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rifle Front Shooting Rest Deluxe Rear
I use the same rest.

I tossed the little wooden stool (up side down) on top of the bench last range trip. The legs have a V notch that cradles the rifle pretty good.

I never ended up purchasing a rest, my range bag is pretty much perfect height to just rest the forend of the rifle on but this thread reminded me to go looking for one. The Jew in me was too cheap to buy one but I saw this for sale on midway and grabbed it

Screenshot_20200809-141136.png

I never ended up purchasing a rest, my range bag is pretty much perfect height to just rest the forend of the rifle on but this thread reminded me to go looking for one. The Jew in me was too cheap to buy one but I saw this for sale on midway and grabbed it

View attachment 379329

That's a good deal for that rest. Same as what @Broccoli Iglesias and I have. I used a leather U-notch pad instead of the pad that comes with the rest. Rear bag should be good. Keep that position setting tip tight or it could fall off and be difficult to find. ;)

View attachment 379329
Very nice. It is well built, it will last years.

How about a bipod?
I have one on my .308 MVP, believe it's a Caldwell and while it shoots well I just don't seem to get consistency using it. I was using a bunch of Match ammo and none of it grouped better than the other and nothing was where I wanted to to be so I wanted to try more of a stable rest.

I'll probably move it to my .300WM rifle since that's more of a one and done type gun than 50-60 rounds of .308

I have one on my .308 MVP, believe it's a Caldwell and while it shoots well I just don't seem to get consistency using it. I was using a bunch of Match ammo and none of it grouped better than the other and nothing was where I wanted to to be so I wanted to try more of a stable rest.

I'll probably move it to my .300WM rifle since that's more of a one and done type gun than 50-60 rounds of .308

Try cutting a rubber shim from an old inner tube to fit between bipod mount and fore end. Take out any play that you can.

Try cutting a rubber shim from an old inner tube to fit between bipod mount and fore end. Take out any play that you can.
It does have these little pads between them but maybe I'll try some rubber pieces. Thank you for the tip! I still need to take it apart and make sure the bedding is contacting properly as I've read it can be a source of issues.

I found if it is dragging sliding back or on a rough surface it can cause inconsistency. At the range I put a piece of paper under it with no issues.
Also how you preload the legs has an effect.

View attachment 379329
Lol same! I Have a super cheap Caldwell rest that's hollow plastic and is worse than my bag.

Back
Top Bottom