• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Benchmade Knives. Yes, that Benchmade...

Such great design and the 940 is the pinnacle. I have a 940-2 with black G10 scales and green spacers.

4E40F202-1C63-47CE-82C7-C50E1BB1A3E7.jpeg

Are we still boycotting them after they helped their local PD destroy guns?

Got a bunch. No downsides.

Except that I can't ever remember where I leave them. Seriously, I've got like three old ones lying around the house somewhere and I have no clue where.

My current folder and my favorite fixed: Benchmades.JPG

That Nimravus has a LOT of miles on it. I believe I've had it about 22 years.

I've got 2 Benchmade knives, one is my EDC (which shows in the pic and needs some cleaning up). Not sure of the models on these, but I do like them very much.

20201218_160511.jpg 20201218_160552.jpg

How do those of you with a reverse Tanto 940 make the most use out of the tip, or should I rather ask; where does it come in the most handy?

Maybe y'all can see if they are willing to destroy some of your firearms for you? They did such a great ob of that for the local PD.

[mg]

Yep. Good to get this out right in front and early...

The Oregon City Police Department posted an image on their Facebook page, showing the Police Department destroying guns with Benchmade equipment.
The image was reposted on the Benchmade page, to show that Benchmade was helping the local police. Feb 25, 2019

Last edited:
i have one, a mini grip. it's ok, i've had it 15 years, it works. has cpm-s30v steel. that's pretty good, has a bit of rust resistance so that's a plus, holds an edge fairly well. mine is a plain sheepsfoot blade. i'm not fond of that bastardized spyderco hole, it's oblong and beveled, not the easiest to open, especially with wet hands. i do like that ball lock though, it's well done and strong. it has yellow scales, the butt of jokes it seems. i bought it preowned from the benchmade marketplace. it was some guys wifes purse knife and she didn't like it. he couldn't sell it cause of the color. i offered 15 bucks (he wanted 25) and he took it. otherwise i'd be grip-less now. i wouldn't pay 80 bucks for that knife.

How do those of you with a reverse Tanto 940 make the most use out of the tip, or should I rather ask; where does it come in the most handy?

You’ve brought up one of the reasons I’m hesitant to buy an Osborne. I want to like it, but it seems like a whole lotta belly and little tip. My PM2’s are belly heavy also, but there’s certainly more of a usable tip. I’m also partial to wharncliffes for EDC because of the superior box stabbing (opening/breaking down) ability.

Is this a first for you? Any 940 owners have an opinion on the reverse tanto?

I just got a Benchmade 940BK-2004 and it is a most excellent knife.

How about you? What Benchmade(s) do you own?

What are your Pros/Cons with your knife?
~Enbloc

I do not yet own a benchmade knife, but your knife threads are excellent and am sure will have a negative effect to my wallet in the near future !

What is a basic Benchmade knife that will not break the bank, or is there such an animal ?

I do not yet own a benchmade knife, but your knife threads are excellent and am sure will have a negative effect to my wallet in the near future !

What is a basic Benchmade knife that will not break the bank, or is there such an animal ?

The Griptilian was my first and I think the most popular. Many variations at different prices and great used market.

The Griptilian was my first and I think the most popular. Many variations at different prices and great used market.

Thanks ! Next question - What are a few of the best on line places to purchase knives (I learned the hard way by buying a knife from the manufacturer and found the same knife 2/3 less somewhere else) ?

I've seen the Mini Griptilian for around a $100 and that is a great price for that knife...

(and they do make it in other colors)... [smile]
1608332138652.png
1608332185321.png
1608332203233.png
1608332216203.png

Here's the scoop.

You join REI. Then you go to one of their yard sales, where they blow out returns. They have a generally no-questions-asked return policy, so a lot of the tags just say "didn't fit right" for an otherwise brand-new item at pennies on the dollar. You see where I'm going with this.

Benchmade has a lifetime resharpening/reconditioning policy. So you buy your REI used knife and then send it to them. They return it as good as new. You're out postage and whatever you paid REI.

That's what I did on that folder I posted above. Total cost was about $30. When I spotted it at REI, all that was wrong was a cracked scale. Which they replaced.

Here's the scoop.

You join REI. Then you go to one of their yard sales, where they blow out returns. They have a generally no-questions-asked return policy, so a lot of the tags just say "didn't fit right" for an otherwise brand-new item at pennies on the dollar. You see where I'm going with this.

Benchmade has a lifetime resharpening/reconditioning policy. So you buy your REI used knife and then send it to them. They return it as good as new. You're out postage and whatever you paid REI.

That's what I did on that folder I posted above. Total cost was about $30. When I spotted it at REI, all that was wrong was a cracked scale. Which they replaced.

If only I could find an auto Infidel that way!

I've had my eye on that mini osborne but I blew my knife budget for the year!

Benchmade is by far my favorite production knife company. They consistently hit it out of the park. Their lifesharp warranty is also super convenient. I send a couple knives in every year for tuneups. I've gotten new blades, new handles, and new pocket clips- all covered under warranty. WAYYYY better than spyderco. They won't touch their knives after they leave the factory.

The griptilian is a solid go to. Have 4 of them- 3 mini's and a full size.
The bugout is a new favorite. Just so lightweight and easy to carry.
I bought the 87 balisong this year as a present to myself.
I got the tengu tool as a gift from my boss. She's super cute.
And I carry a rescue hook in the car.

How do those grips carry in the pocket? Are they as fat as they look?
1/2 an inch thick on the Mini-Grip is reasonable for a pocket clip EDC...

Specifications
  • Blade Length: 2.91"
  • Closed Length: 3.87"
  • Overall Length: 6.78"
  • Blade Thickness: 0.10"
  • Blade Material: CPM-S30V Stainless Steel
  • Blade Hardness: 58-60 HRC
  • Blade Style: Flat Ground Modified Drop Point; Ambidextrous Thumb Studs
  • Handle Material: Noryl GTX
  • Handle Thickness: 0.51"
  • Clip: Reversible, Tip-Up
  • Lock Mechanism: AXIS Lock
  • Warranty: Manufacturer's Limited Lifetime
  • Designer: Mel Pardue
  • Weight: 2.81 oz.
  • Made in the USA

The boss, the Tengu Tool, or both?

The tengu is the cute one haha

I split time between the shop floor and the board room. A big knife is no big deal on the shop floor, but in the board room gotta be more discreet. That was his solution.

There is also the new Mini Bugout which has been getting great reviews...

This one in a "Hard to lose in the grass Orange" is only $119...

Out of Stock at KnifeCenter ($119) Benchmade Mini Bugout AXIS Folding Knife 2.82 inch S30V Satin Plain Blade, Orange Grivory Handles

In stock at BladeHQ ($119) Benchmade Mini Bugout AXIS Lock Knife Orange (2.875" Satin) 533 - Blade HQ
1608333597162.png
1608333609479.png
1608333619649.png
1608333635042.png

Specifications
  • Blade Length: 2.82" (7.16 cm)
  • Blade Thickness: 0.090" (2.286 mm)
  • Handle Thickness: 0.412" (10.46 mm)
  • Blade Material: CPM-S30V Stainless Steel
  • Blade Hardness: 58-60HRC
  • Blade Style: Drop Point
  • Weight: 1.5 oz. (42.52 g)