Beretta Kick-Off® SYSTEM Xtrema II / 1301

paul73

NES Member
Hi,

Could anybody share an opinion of how you do like or dislike this contraption? Did it improve anything at all, how much of a recoil it is actually damping - is it noticable in rapid firing or is it mostly a snake oil?

thx.

Kinda reminds me of the Knoxx Compstock, but with hydraulics instead of a mainspring.

1626359952642.png1626360005611.png

The Knoxx works very well by the way...

44% is considerable.

My only concern would be the hydraulic system fighting the Semi-Auto cycling, causing a form of "limp-wristing" during extraction on light loads (managed recoil loads)

I'm sure Beretta has work that issue out though... if there ever was one.

Last edited:
only concern would be the hydraulic system fighting the Semi-Auto cycling, causing a form of "limp-wristing" during extraction
exactly - that is why i am really curious if anybody here actually have it on the 1301 or a400 and how it actually behaves.

I found this thread by folks who own/use one...

Shotgunworld.com • Beretta Kick off Recoil System

It seems well-regarded by hunters and Clays shooters. I can't find much about Defensive use...

Most notable/related post:

jpari
Post subject: Re: Beretta Kick off Recoil System
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:31 pm
Tournament Grade
I shoot an Xtrema 2 and an A400 Xcel sporting both with KO. Yes, the KO does definitely make a difference and worth the money. Do not labour over the decision, just get the KO and you will be happy that you did down the road.

P.S. Contrary to what was stated above, yes, the KO does definitely operate with target loads. So much so that I can now shoot two 100 target rounds of sporting clays back to back without fatigue or loss of concentration. Prior to the KO I could not.

Last edited by jpari on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited:
Ah, sorry. I no have...
yeah, make fun of my not knowing my have-has. :) duh. :)
i will never probably memorize this tenses shit till i`m dead. just does not fit into the brain, those verbs tenses and alterations. a foreign concept altogether.

kinda similar how english speakers cannot comprehend dynamic alteration of nouns suffixes and endings based on the he/she/they stuff.

yeah, make fun of my not knowing my have-has. :) duh. :)
i will never probably memorize this tenses shit till i`m dead. just does not fit into the brain, those verbs tenses and alterations. a foreign concept altogether.
Lol. Not making fun of YOU, just brushing up on my Urbonics...

I found this thread by folks who own/use one...

Shotgunworld.com • Beretta Kick off Recoil System

It seems well-regarded by hunters and Clays shooters. I can't find much about Defensive use...

Most notable/related post:
I saw one left on opticsplanet, ordered, will see if it will feel any different. I still kinda doubt it was worth $250 vs something like a $8 piece of thick rubber condom over the stock. But, who knows.

exactly - that is why i am really curious if anybody here actually have it on the 1301 or a400 and how it actually behaves.

My advice, you really need to just find someone who has an A400 Extreme and just shoot some trap or sporting clays with it.

I don't think its super dramatic, I think it decreases the sharpness of the recoil impulse, but honestly an A400 is pretty soft to begin with.

My advice, you really need to just find someone who has an A400 Extreme and just shoot some trap or sporting clays with it.

I don't think its super dramatic, I think it decreases the sharpness of the recoil impulse, but honestly an A400 is pretty soft to begin with.
My 1301 is also quite soft compared to what I used to have but I cannot do double shots with it well. Will see if that contraption will alter anything for the better . I generally just completely lost interest toward shooting shotguns, but, why not to try something new.

i received and installed that adapter. hmm. for a $280 part it is, well, not sure. cheap plastic, visually looks like a $30 chinese thing.
came from optics planet with no box, just wrapped into bubble wrap and in the ziplock bag - like a shit from aliexpress. which it probably is.
the construction is a set of 2 stiff springs and 2 hydraulic shocks, like a macpherson suspension. the whole thing adds about of an inch and a half to the stock. as i was fine with a half inch stock extension before it is more than i think i will like, and it is not adjustable.
also, with add-on of that extra inch the shotgun does not fit anymore into its stock case with a 10shot extension tube. i ordered an 8shot tube, but, it is an extra grievance.

it better do something really good with the recoil after all that.

Last edited:
here is how it looks like, with rubber condom taken off. those plastic pistons better be sturdy enough.
1626962818138.png

@paul73 if it ruins the fit of the gun I can't see how there's an upshot to the whole thing.

This is radically different, apparently, from the kick off system that comes integrated into their other shotguns.

@paul73 if it ruins the fit of the gun I can't see how there's an upshot to the whole thing
i need to test it first. my shoulder gets sensitive to kicks now, so, i`ll need to decide if i want to compromise, or not.
it is about of half inch longer now than i would like it. but i got used to shorter stocks for all my life, so, will see.
LOP is now at 14 1/8".

also, test aiming it now i get a distinct feel it aims to the left. wtf... i am sure i did set shims right. it did not do it before.
1626964395634.png

Last edited:
found its shim sets, it is too much hassle to take stock apart again as damn thing was difficult to bolt in - but with the 65DX front shim it seems to be aiming better. it used to be set on 60DX.

I have both the 1301 and the 1301 Pro. They both shoot fantastically. The pro has kick off while the 1301 standard does not. But obviously one is a combat/defensive style shotgun while the other is competition entirely. I think the kickoff is cool, and it does noticeable dampen it. But that being said, I shoot just fun with the standard 1301.

I very briefly had a 1301 Comp in between that shot somewhere in between the two because it was not kickoff, but it was also 24" like the pro so to what extent it's the extra weight?
Biggest reason I switched from the pro to the comp wasn't because of the kick off but because the comp is still a gen 1 style shotgun with the release "issue" and a couple of the other features.

Biggest reason I switched from the pro to the comp wasn't because of the kick off but because the comp is still a gen 1 style shotgun with the release "issue" and a couple of the other features.
what i have is the actually 2017 1301 comp model, not the very first edition. for some reason i thought it was older than that, but, no.
so you have now the comp pro - with the blue receiver? what exactly did they alter in there compared to the 2017 comp - other than cutting off the part of the release lever?

i was hoping to get out and see how it will pattern today with the KO installed, but, it is still raining...

what i have is the actually 2017 1301 comp model, not the very first edition. for some reason i thought it was older than that, but, no.
so you have now the comp pro - with the blue receiver? what exactly did they alter in there compared to the 2017 comp - other than cutting off the part of the release lever?

i was hoping to get out and see how it will pattern today with the KO installed, but, it is still raining...
So, they widened the loading port even more. They did trim down the release lever, but specifically from gen 1 to gen 2 made it single direction. Removing the unload feature that could induce a jam if you didn't have it shrouded and accidentally bumped it. The gen 2 1301 Comp, while having an expanded ejection port it keeps that gen 1 bolt release. The Pro does get the updated gen 2 release. I believe they just haven't gotten around to the Comp yet. Naturally the pro gets the kickoff system as well and the rubber oversized fore end.

1627223658427.png1627223692622.png

I got the kick off on my A400 Excel I got it the 1st year it came out it does help with recoil by 40% when you shoot a lot of rounds it does help. I got the gen 2 one on my A400 upland and my 1301 pro comp I like the set up better because it's setup before where you mount it so when you shoot it the stock doesn't slide on cheek. It does help with picking up 2nd shot. I shot a 20 gauge with the kick off 2 like no recoil at all.

You got a range report yet?
So, it only took 2 months to get to a range, but, i finally got there. still did not have time to buy any clay pigeons, but was able to pattern the shotgun and shoot some steel plates from 25yds.
Overall i am very happy with the result. Shotgun stopped jumping up the way it was, recoil is much better compared to what it was and rapid shooting 1.5-2 shots a sec was fine.
here are 4 shots of #5 below, and a photo of low priced #5 i got do not recall where - it worked flawlessly. the feel of the pattern to go slightly to the left is probably mostly me aiming to the left, but i am ok with the outcome.

pattern.jpg

12ga.jpg

Back
Top Bottom