• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta M9 = Beretta ?? for civilians?

Thanks. Thought I'd check because I might pick one up just to master it in case I ever get sent to a combat zone down the road.

Well, the few times I've shot a 92FS, I couldn't hit squat with it. I feel like I should work on that.

Well, the few times I've shot a 92FS, I couldn't hit squat with it. I feel like I should work on that.

I got an air pistol which is an exact replica, in fact it weighs more than my real 92FS. I practiced for 15 mins a night in the basement, and in a few weeks I was way better with the real 92FS.

I got an air pistol which is an exact replica, in fact it weighs more than my real 92FS. I practiced for 15 mins a night in the basement, and in a few weeks I was way better with the real 92FS.

+1 I think Cabellas sells the 92fs pellet replica. It's good for practice in the house during the cold winter months. It's a fun gun to shoot. It wont take you long before you are holding the 9 ring with it at 25 yards.

I picked one up from ZHA a few weeks ago. The first time I took it to the range, I could immediately shoot it better than anything else I've got. Needless to say, I love the thing.

My other rationale for wanting one is that 9mm is cheaper than the .40s, .357, .38s, .45s, 9x18mms, 7.62x25mms, 7.62 Nagants, .30 carbines, and various 7.62/8mm calibers that most of my other guns are chambered in.

And the Sigma doesn't count as a gun.

The M9 is a good choice. And if you are in and that is your T.O. weapon all the better reason to become good at shooting it.

Well, I'm Navy Reserve and will be in the medical corps in a few years. Figure that the chance of getting shot at, even if deployed to the combat zone, is probably not much higher than getting shot at at home, but it's a semi-plausible excuse to buy another handgun as well.

Well, I'm Navy Reserve and will be in the medical corps in a few years. Figure that the chance of getting shot at, even if deployed to the combat zone, is probably not much higher than getting shot at at home, but it's a semi-plausible excuse to buy another handgun as well.

your standard of reason for buying a gun is higher than mine!! [rofl][rofl]

I can't hit the broad side of a barn with my Beretta either. I actually do better with my little NAA Guardian. Something about me and that gun just doesn't click. I hand the Beretta to my uncle, and he'll put them all dead center. [laugh]

Is the M9/Beretta 92FS one of those pistols that just doesn't work well for some people? I had never fired one until 2005 at Devens during an Army Commanders Challenge match, and I couldn't shoot that M9 well at all. It was bad enough that the first thing I did when I got home was run a box through my Sig just to prove to myself I wasn't a hazard to myself.

I missed the '06 match, but managed to make it to Devens again this year. The first run through with the M9 went much better than I remembered from the year before. After that, it went bad on me again. This time, I watched that pistol, and confirmed that it was me, not the M9, that wasn't working. The shooter who used it after me shot very well with it. Then, I went home and shot the Sig again.

I went out and bought a new 92FS, just to see if I could make it work for me. So far, I haven't done much more than burn 50 through just to function check it. The only odd thing I noticed while doing some dry firing is that sometimes my off hand thumb (I'm a lefty) will drag on the trigger bar while I'm pulling the trigger. I need to find some more range time for the Beretta.

What is it that makes the M9/92FS, or any other pistol, a "works for some, not for others" shooter? Is there some relationship of grip size, trigger stroke and hand sizes that will not let some people shoot some pistols well?

[thinking]

The M9 Special Edition is available (probably not Mass legal), it's the same as the military M9, except the serial number range and the US stamp on the frame. I use an M9 SE for my CCW gun (Trijicon sights added). The 92FS is the same as the M9, different markings and serial number range (small taters).

Is the M9/Beretta 92FS one of those pistols that just doesn't work well for some people? I had never fired one until 2005 at Devens during an Army Commanders Challenge match, and I couldn't shoot that M9 well at all. It was bad enough that the first thing I did when I got home was run a box through my Sig just to prove to myself I wasn't a hazard to myself.
[...]
What is it that makes the M9/92FS, or any other pistol, a "works for some, not for others" shooter? Is there some relationship of grip size, trigger stroke and hand sizes that will not let some people shoot some pistols well?
[thinking]
Yes. For the 92 full size pistols, it's the grip, which is on the large side. The slim grip Beretta 92FS ("Vertec") fits many shooters' hands better, and that is the point of Beretta putting out the extra model. Their new 92 replacement, the "90-TWO" (isn't Beretta's marketing dept. amazing?) comes with a swappable grip body that, for under $15, lets you swap between the two in about a minute. I shoot either type of grip decently, but am much more consistent with the slimmer grip/Vertec models.

[thinking]

That's a huge part of it.

One of the things that I do when I pick up a pistol is hold it down toward the floor and grip it like I was going to shoot. (hand down the frame of course.)

Then, I close my eyes, and raise the pistol into the postition that I would when I'm firing.

I then open my eyes and look down the sights.

If they are pretty much alligned, then you know that it's pretty much a good point and shoot gun. If you look down the sights and it's all caddywompis, then you know that you're going to have to do grip adjustments, sight adjustments, and other things to shoot down range. Sometimes, that means that while you're looking OK down the sights, when you squeeze the trigger, you're grip had a chance to change the aim of the gun. Therefore, you're shoot off center.

I'll have to test the alignment of mine this weekend - maybe I can get some range time with it after drill, too. I like the design, and it's a very well made pistol, just wish I could shoot it.

If I wasn't shooting it competitively once a year, I wouldn't put any effort into it. I'll settle for 'adequate' scores, that don't kill my overall score like my current results!

I think a bigger problem with the 92 is the trigger. The stock DA
is terrible... at least you can fix that with a mainspring replacement...
the stock SA is also "marginal" at best.... IMO it has too much weight
so trying to pull through cleanly is difficult compared to some other
guns- I found when I had mine initially I would "yank" a lot of shots
off target because I was mashing the trigger too hard. It CAN be
mastered though, or at least one can learn to shoot it well enough to
pass typical marksmanship tests, or hit a BG at typical combat ranges with it.

I sold mine but I'll probably end up getting one again
someday.... I kept all my 92FS preban hicaps I had accumulated.
[grin]

-Mike

M9

I can't hit the broad side of a barn with my Beretta either. I actually do better with my little NAA Guardian. Something about me and that gun just doesn't click. I hand the Beretta to my uncle, and he'll put them all dead center. [laugh]
I never liked the gun myself. I`m used to Glocks so the single/double action trigger is difficult to master. Way to big and heavy for the caliber it fires. I was hoping the Military was going to be having the trials for a new handgun last year but it was cancelled. I think the M&P would be a good candidate for replacing the M9.

Have you seen the difference in prices?? HOLY MOLY!

I think that I paid just around 400 for mine a few years back. Now I'm seeing them all over the place for around 600...it's nuts.

I think I got my 92 at the time as a "tax free day" special for like $499
brand new in box at FS.

-Mike

I think I got my 92 at the time as a "tax free day" special for like $499
brand new in box at FS.

[smile] Tax free day....that's how I bought mine, except from Pete's Gun Shop in Adams. A little more expensive than yours from FS, but cheaper than the gas it would have taken to drive there.

I still think that since the DoD has already approved the Sig M11, they should replace the M9 by attrition.

But they don't care what I think....

Back
Top Bottom