Beretta re release Vertec and brigadier

92 FS Vertec Inox

I posted about the 92FS Vertec Inox in a different thread and was requested to post some pics. Figured this was a reasonable thread to semi-revive instead of getting off topic on the other thread....

So preface by saying I'm a beretta 92 fan. Yes I am aware about the frequent disdain for open slides, slide-mounted safety, large grip, heavy weight, etc.....still I love the beretta 92. Partly because when I was young one growing up in the 1980s this gun was the bee's knees and everyone wanted one. I recall my dad bringing one home and I was in awe, so it has a dear place in my heart. I still have his original 92fs unmodified and barely shot. It's one of the first produced 92fs models. I also dig the 92 because you can chamber a round without a magazine by just dropping it into the chamber and closing the slide.....the extractor is designed to just jump right over the casing like no big deal....most guns wouldn't like this maneuver!

IMO the most annoying aspects of the 92 design is the fixed front sight. For this reason my favorite models are the 92A1. The brigadier models seem nice but I never acquired one because it's tough to find holsters and also it feels substantially heavier in my hand. Also I prefer the "G" model with decocker only, mostly because there's no chance of accidentlaly engaging the safety while racking the slide. However the FS series still floats my boat, but less than the G.

FS recently got some 92fs vertec inox models which apparently Beretta is again producing for some limited period of time. I had never shot a vertec so I was interested. Basically the vertec is a "modernized" version including dovetailed front sight, pic rail, flush barrel (slightly shorter at 4.7"), bevelled magwell and a substantially smaller grip. I heard something about Beretta trying to make their gun appeal to those with smaller hands and tried to push the vertec as a duty gun....from what I can tell it never really took off, likely because so many polymer guns beat it hands down when it comes to pure functionality.

First off, the vertec inox looks incredible. Currently it's bone stock, but the photos show just how much shorter the grip is compared to standard 92fs. The grip "hump" is absent so the vertec has a straight grip akin to 1911 style. From shooting the vertec I can say with some conviction that the vertec feels and shoots very differently than it's 92fs cousin. The LOP is considerably shorter. I have larger hands so I enjoy the standard 92 grip size, but the vertec feels more like a glock 19 or M&P with medium backstrap....basically it no longer feels like a 2"x4" in my hand.

The balance of the 92fs vertec is different as well....it's more nose-heavy, likely due to added pic rail. I'm convinced this is why they chopped the barrel from 4.9 to 4.7"...to help this issue. Regardless it's not crazy nose-heavy, but noticeably more than a standard 92fs.

In terms of shooting, the vertec is awesome. It's good enough for me to hit 6" plates at 25 yards fairly quickly (and I am no pro shooter). Another perk is the POI barely changes when shooting different loads or bullet weights...I'm convinced this is due to the lack of tilting barrel so the bullet trajectory isn't affected by slide cycling.

Standard modifications I make to each beretta include a wilson combat 16lb main spring, wilson combat trigger conversion unit (return spring), steel trigger, plastic recoil buffer and elite hammer. These mods are pending for the vertec. Usually I put a wilson combat short-reach-trigger too. In the case of the vertec I will put a standard steel trigger as the LOP doesn't need to be any shorter for me.

Some of the nicest touches of the vertec include the bevelled magwell (which does actually make a difference), dovetailed front sight and pic rail. The inox finish is awesome.

FS is selling it currently for $699 which is an awesome deal. In a state where people routinely drop over $700 on a plastic glock, this vertec inox is an absolute gem (don't get me wrong I love glocks too). If you're looking for something new or you've avoiding the beretta 92 because either 1. fixed front sight, 2. lack of pic rail or 3. it never fit your hand, then give the vertec inox some consideration!

Here are some pics....comparing to standard 92fs model so the grip difference can be seen.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

Last edited:
I posted about the 92FS Vertec Inox in a different thread and was requested to post some pics. Figured this was a reasonable thread to semi-revive instead of getting off topic on the other thread....

So preface by saying I'm a beretta 92 fan. Yes I am aware about the frequent disdain for open slides, slide-mounted safety, large grip, heavy weight, etc.....still I love the beretta 92. Partly because when I was young one growing up in the 1980s this gun was the bee's knees and everyone wanted one. I recall my dad bringing one home and I was in awe, so it has a dear place in my heart. I still have his original 92fs unmodified and barely shot. It's one of the first produced 92fs models. I also dig the 92 because you can chamber a round without a magazine by just dropping it into the chamber and closing the slide.....the extractor is designed to just jump right over the casing like no big deal....most guns wouldn't like this maneuver!

IMO the most annoying aspects of the 92 design is the fixed front sight. For this reason my favorite models are the 92A1. The brigadier models seem nice but I never acquired one because it's tough to find holsters and also it feels substantially heavier in my hand.

FS recently got some 92fs vertec inox models which apparently Beretta is again producing for some limited period of time. I had never shot a vertec so I was interested. Basically the vertec is a "modernized" version including dovetailed front sight, pic rail, flush barrel (slightly shorter at 4.7"), bevelled magwell and a substantially smaller grip. I heard something about Beretta trying to make their gun appeal to those with smaller hands and tried to push the vertec as a duty gun....from what I can tell it never really took off, likely because so many polymer guns beat it hands down when it comes to pure functionality.

First off, the vertec inox looks incredible. Currently it's bone stock, but the photos show just how much shorter the grip is compared to standard 92fs. The grip "hump" is absent so the vertec has a straight grip akin to 1911 style. From shooting the vertec I can say with some conviction that the vertec feels and shoots very differently than it's 92fs cousin. The LOP is considerably shorter. I have larger hands so I enjoy the standard 92 grip size, but the vertec feels more like a glock 19 or M&P with medium backstrap....basically it no longer feels like a 2"x4" in my hand.

The balance of the 92fs vertec is different as well....it's more nose-heavy, likely due to added pic rail. I'm convinced this is why they chopped the barrel from 4.9 to 4.7"...to help this issue. Regardless it's not crazy nose-heavy, but noticeably more than a standard 92fs.

In terms of shooting, the vertec is awesome. It's good enough for me to hit 6" plates at 25 yards fairly quickly (and I am no pro shooter). Another perk is the POI barely changes when shooting different loads or bullet weights...I'm convinced this is due to the lack of tilting barrel so the bullet trajectory isn't affected by slide cycling.

Standard modifications I make to each beretta include a wilson combat 16lb main spring, wilson combat trigger conversion unit (return spring), steel trigger, plastic recoil buffer and elite hammer. These mods are pending for the vertec. Usually I put a wilson combat short-reach-trigger too. In the case of the vertec I will put a standard steel trigger as the LOP doesn't need to be any shorter for me.

Some of the nicest touches of the vertec include the bevelled magwell (which does actually make a difference), dovetailed front sight and pic rail. The inox finish is awesome.

FS is selling it currently for $699 which is an awesome deal. In a state where people routinely drop over $700 on a plastic glock, this vertec inox is an absolute gem (don't get me wrong I love glocks too). If you're looking for something new or you've avoiding the beretta 92 because either 1. fixed front sight, 2. lack of pic rail or 3. it never fit your hand, then give the vertec inox some consideration!

Here are some pics....comparing to standard 92fs model so the grip difference can be seen.

View attachment 124049View attachment 124050View attachment 124051View attachment 124053
Does the Vertec accept the same magazines as the 92fs?

You compare it to the G19, so does it feel a little thinner or is it just the lack of "backstrap hump"?

similar width...definitely not thinner than G19 grip.
the straight backstrap of the vertec makes it feel more like a glock or 1911 with straight backstrap....basically if someone can fit a G19 in their hand then the vertec would fit too.

of course the glock and beretta are so fundamentally different so i don't want people thinking i'm claming their similar...cuz they ain't.....but when it comes to grip size and LOP they're on par.

looks very nice. i paid 530 i think at four seasons for my regular 92FS....i wish i grabbed the inox... WC makes some really nice work including a magwell piece....
are those grips available via Beretta now?

looks very nice. i paid 530 i think at four seasons for my regular 92FS....i wish i grabbed the inox... WC makes some really nice work including a magwell piece....
are those grips available via Beretta now?

WC does sell grips for the standard 92 frame, but i'm not sure about vertec grips....i don't think they make grips for the vertec. thankfully the stock vertec grips are pretty good so i'm not going to change them.

i ordered some WC G10 grips a few months ago for my 92G and they sent me VZ grips....so i'm assuming WC is basically re-labelling VZ G10 grips, which is just fine with me since they cost about the same and I love VZ grips too

What I want to know is can I get just a slide. I have a mint all inox (including controls)92. The only thing I hate is the fixed front sight.
Can I just get a new brig. Inox slide for my old 92?

What I want to know is can I get just a slide. I have a mint all inox (including controls)92. The only thing I hate is the fixed front sight.

Ever ask a smith to cut one ? Maybe labor and front site will cost less?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also a big 92 fan...... Beretta is killing my budget this year... First they did the 92G, then the 92 Brigadier Bruniton, then the 92 Brigadier Inox, then the 92 Vertec Inox, now they announced the 92G SD in Bruniton, possibility of the M9A3, and something being announced at the Shot show that all they will say is a 90 series variant not listed above. I may need to start selling my spare body parts to feed my 92 addiction..

Been looking for a Brigadier for a few years.....glad to hear they may be back.

They are back, and in MA, I missed out on them the last time around, picked up a bruniton one not a huge fan of the newer Inox ones with the black controls..

Have not seen the Brig Inox slides available yet, but you could buy a Inox Brig, swap slides and sell the Brig frame with the 92FS slide

Does anyone know if the screw holes on the vertex grip line up with the ones on the 92?

Yes, it is my understanding that the holes are in the exact same position, the only difference is the machine work to the external contour of the grip.

Yup holes are the same but grips arent interchangeable unless youre handy w a dremel

just want to provide an update on my experience with the 92FS Inox Vertec.

It's now at just over 600 rds, fired everything from steel cased TulAmmo 115gr to Gold dot 147gr +P's with no malfunctions. The 4 modifications I've made include:

1. Beretta D spring to improve the DA pull. Note the Wilson Combat 16# spring doesn't fit into the vertec mainspring housing over the action bar or whatever that narrow rod is called (the WC spring is too narrow, but the D-spring fits fine...worth noting if you plan to upgrade your vertec).

2. Hogue grips, http://www.hogueinc.com/store/products/beretta-vertec-rubber-grip-black/8592. Unlike the standard 92, the hogue grips don't seem to increase the grip size too much yet they provide nice fingergrooves over the frontstrap.

3. Wilson Combat shok buff

4. Beretta elite hammer

I also picked up some Trijicon night sights but my sight pusher doesn't fit well onto the 92 slide so I'll need a smith to install these.

At this point the gun has been fired by 6 other shooters, including a few NESers, who really love the vertec. The same people who never cared for the 92 seem to really like this gun. Personally I seem to shoot the vertec considerably more accurately than the standard 92 even though i like the feel of both guns.

The only remaining mod I would consider is a FS -> G conversion (decocker only), but I'm holding off on that for now.

Pardon the dust -- resurrecting an old one here.

This past week I sold one of my radios (ham) and earmarked the dough for a new pistol, a largish DA/SA carry gun (winter), or so I thought.

I was not looking toward blowing a lot of cash, and after some looking around was leaning toward a new Sig SP2022. In fact I was at Pullman Arms looking at the Sig when I noticed the Vertec on the wall. I generally do not buy something the same day I look at it so as to avoid impulse, and I went home to mull over the SP2022 for the night, but instead kept thinking about the Vertec.

I was aware of the Vertec but had not seen one and was not looking for it when I saw it. Nonetheless, I went back to Pullman on Saturday morning and bought it.

It would have been a stretch to call the Vertec a rational choice for a carry gun, even in winter, so I had to abandon that criteria, because after seeing one I really did want one!

I justified it by saying...

1. It is pretty!
  2. It is unique variant of the 92fs.
  3. It might end up a somewhat limited production run.
  4. It has a more natural grip for me than the standard 92FS (despite my huge hands).
  5. Its slide mounted decocker works really comfortably for me (advantage huge hands).
  6. It is pretty!

I was previously unaware of this thread and would ask the OP, Squib308, how he likes the Hogue accessory grips? I have them on order.

Beretta-92FS-Vertec-Inox-e.jpg

Congrats on your new toy.

im typically not huge fan of hogue grips but on the vertec they fit great and really lock the gun into my hand. If you're planning to carry it Im not sure the hogue may grab your shirt depending how you carry. Either way its worth having the hogue.

Drop in a D spring and the DA pull becomes perfect.

Finally picked my own up after selling my 92A1.
I ordered a G-Code XST holster for it and look forward to putting up a review on it next month (lead times are 5-7 weeks currently).

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/XST/XST-RTI.html

I went with this one so I could easily swap between a regular belt mount, to a MOLLE mount for any future Excrutiathalons I run.
They also offer a under the steering wheel mount that I might look more seriously at if I like the holster.

Attachments

• _DSC1616.jpg
    _DSC1616.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Beretta.jpg
    Beretta.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom