• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta Shotgun Help

radioman

NES Member
I just received a Christmas present from my wife. It is a Beretta Silver Pidgen 1 Sporting 32" barrels. Gun has never been fired. I was changing the chokes and looked down the top tube and this is what I saw. Do you shotgun guys think this could be a problem? I plan on showing it to my dealer but I want to go in there with all info I can get. Let me know your thoughts.

My thoughts are, at least the chrome lining is missing to at worse deep pitting that could cause catastrophic failure. I think the top photo to be the most telling.

New photo---

Last edited:
Did you run a brush and some solvent through the bore? Could be some dried grease or protectant that needs to be removed.

That's just in the choke right? Beretta stands behind all their products

Last edited:
That is definitely NOT right. I would take it right back to the dealer and tell him you want another one and let him send it back to the factory. If he won't exchange it, I would call Beretta Tuesday and talk to them. On one of my new Berettas I thought I had a problem and they were very quick to offer to send me a shipping label but I figured it out with their help. I had a SP II model 687 and loved it!

First, you got a keeper there. (The wife that is. )
Second , yup send it back in .
For what those cost , that's not what I would expect to see.
Unless of course it's what Smoke52 says and it cleans right out.
It looks like in the picture that the barrel wasn't properly honed and polished.

I took it back to the dealer on Saturday. I'll find out this week what Beretta wants to do with it. I'm hoping they just send me out a brand-new one. The dealer did mention something about a warranty claim which would mean having new barrels fitted. I'm not liking this option because I bought a brand-new gun not a gun that has new barrels fitted. Any comments on what I should settle for?

Radioman, They should give you a new barrel, most any new barrel has to be fitted to Beretta guns. With the serial number being issued, and nothing wrong with the receiver, hopefully they will not take long. I think the warranty is 2 or 3 years, and sometimes if you register your serial number with Beretta, they give you extra warranty. Find out next week what they plan and try and talk to the Beretta Rep.

Radioman, They should give you a new barrel, most any new barrel has to be fitted to Beretta guns. With the serial number being issued, and nothing wrong with the receiver, hopefully they will not take long. I think the warranty is 2 or 3 years, and sometimes if you register your serial number with Beretta, they give you extra warranty. Find out next week what they plan and try and talk to the Beretta Rep.

I wouldn't worry about having new barrels fitted. That would certainly be acceptable to me.

Thanks for the replies. I was worried new barrels would not be the same as new. The warranty is 1 year and if you register the gun at the Beretta web site they give you an additional 2 years for a total of 3. I did register the gun.

I was hoping Beretta would throw me a bone for the PITA of having to go through this, being a gift and all. My wife is not to happy, her surprise not going so well. I'm happy I got a great gun no matter when I actually get it but I do feel bad that she's not happy the way things turned out. She knows the guy at the LGS so she'll call and get them to have the rep call us.

Feel bad for the wife, but I am very happy with my Beretta for trap. The only problem with my used SP II was shooting trap one Sunday and I had a hammer break. Took it to a gunsmith in Natick and he fixed it that afternoon, I put lots of shells through it. The rep should throw you a bone if he is a good one. Keep us posted on how you make out! Good shooting.

Back
Top Bottom