Beretta threatens to leave Maryland over new gun laws

If Maryland puts in their laws and Beretta actually leaves - I may have to add another Beretta to my safe.

?Berettas Don?t Bluff?: Major Gun Company Threatens to Leave Maryland Over New Gun Control Proposals | TheBlaze.com

The Washington Post explains:

Beretta, the nearly 500-year-old family-owned company that made one of James Bond’s firearms, has already invested more than $1 million in the [civilian version of a machine gun designed for special operations forces] and has planned to expand its plant further in Prince George’s County to ramp up production.

But under an assault-weapons ban that advanced late last week in the Maryland General Assembly, experts say the gun would be illegal in the state where it is produced.

Now Beretta is weighing whether the rifle line, and perhaps the company itself, should stay in a place increasingly hostile toward its products. Its iconic 9mm pistol — carried by every U.S. soldier and scores of police departments — would also be banned with its high capacity, 13-bullet magazine.

[...]

In testimony this month in Annapolis, Reh, who oversees the plant, warned lawmakers to consider carefully the company’s future. Reh pointed to the last time Maryland ratcheted up gun restrictions in the 1990s: Beretta responded by moving its warehouse operation to Virginia.

I have a Beretta and it is my favorite! Would rather shoot that than my Glock. I have never cleaned my 92 and it has never failed me! I love a gun I shoot and forget about, no cleaning, no maintenance. Best pistol ever, point and shoot, hits everything!

Has any gun company moved yet? I just want to see one move, I'll save my kudos until there is proven action.

I have a Beretta and it is my favorite! Would rather shoot that than my Glock. I have never cleaned my 92 and it has never failed me! I love a gun I shoot and forget about, no cleaning, no maintenance. Best pistol ever, point and shoot, hits everything!

may i recommend you clean and lube it, someday it will fail.

S&W should do the same here in Ma
Local news a few nights ago reported that Mississippi Senator was courting S &W to leave MA and move there. The funny part was S & W didn't comment at all but Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno is sooooo sure they would never leave... I'll laugh my ass off if it happens.

Yup never say never....would serve him right if they left...unfortunately it will have a financial effect on some good people across many fronts not just at S&W will also hurt suppliers to S&W. In this day and age job's are tuff to come buy. I support the message S&W is trying to send...im just frustrated dumb ass Patrick will just keep marching forward trying to take our rights away at any cost.

S&W already has the Houton, ME plant retooled. Who's to say they won't move out? Wouldn't blame them if they did. Would be sad, but wouldn't blame them.
Sarno is a MAIG. Would serve him right to have them leave on his watch.

Ummmm- companies just pick up and move their entire operation within a few weeks?

How does that work exactly?
Bigger companies have moved bigger equipment pretty much overnight. They need a $ motivation, CEO ego involvement, or principles. So much talk, like I said, I'll hold my kudos until a gun company actually moves.

S&W's CEO doesn't have the backbone to do this. He's a Brit (not that there's anything inherently wrong with that; he just doesn't have the 2A mindset) and is more interested in the business than the firearms.

Buck.

Maybe he will find that Americans don't just bend over and take up the ASS like the Brits. If they don't take a stand, A new Smith and Wesson will never see the inside of my gun safe again.

It's widely reported tht S&W sales fell 40% during the 'Clinton boycott." I think there is hope they might join us this time.

Glock's buisness models includes selling old police guns back to civilians (via dealers) at crazy prices, so I think there is less hope here...

However, at the end of the day, the civilian market is something like 20xs the LEO market, we need to keep the pressure on!

Just for this, I'm buying a 92FS, the 950-jetfire looks lonely. Good on Beretta! Very impressed with the hard stance!

Local news a few nights ago reported that Mississippi Senator was courting S &W to leave MA and move there. The funny part was S & W didn't comment at all but Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno is sooooo sure they would never leave... I'll laugh my ass off if it happens.

I saw that too. Sarno said "Smith & Wesson isn't going anywhere". Interesting that a lot of their stuff says Houlton, ME on it already.

The problem with this is Beretta has stood there ground in MD for many years letting law after law effect sales to MD citizens and done nada. Now they wanna jump on the bandwagon?

I've emailed them and asked why don't they call anti-gun Sarno on the carpet and ask him who's side he's on?

We'll see. I hope this is a trend and the gun manufacturers see what the anti-gun pols are doing to them and react accordingly. The only way we win this fight is to litigate and have the major gun manufacturers use their financial leverage to put the pressure on anti-gun states.

Back
Top Bottom