• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best AR Mag: if ever legal again in Massachusetts

Reptile

NES Member
If Massachusetts mag restrictions ever get lifted by the SCOTUS - what type of AR mag would you try to buy by the case?

Pmags? What generation?

AR15 / M4 / M16

USGI Mags? What manufacturer?

AR-15 Magazines

SUREFIRE – AR-15/M16 60RD

High-Capacity Magazines

FN - SCAR Mags

Other polymer mags?

I for one think that the original Colt mags are the best. Who makes USGI mags that are as good as Colt mags?

Do you like Magpul Pmags better?

It would be helpful to include links.

Buying by the case would really only be good for personal use, I think. Buying to resell after a second mag ban may be difficult do to a glut in the market.

Okay industries/NHMTG are the best USGI mags.
They produce the Colt branded magazines as well.

3rd gen. Pmags. with windows.

If I was stocking up, it would be the Okay industries mags.

My favorite mag is the USGI 20 round mag by Universal Industries.
Smaller, lighter and more compact for prone or off the bench shooting.
Most reliable USGI mag ever made IMHO.

Last edited:
D&H mags from Palmetto, steel or aluminum, when they go on sale @ $6.99, free shipping if you buy 10 or more.

They always drop free and come with Magpul anti tilt followers standard. I've not had a single issue with them and I use them by the dozens in several ARs.

Pmags for 5.56 cheapness, Lancers for my big bore shit, and and whatever steel USGI I can find for both.

Also a ton of the S&W M&P 15-22 full size standard cap ones. Shooting .22LR out of that thing using 10 rounders sucks. Also the long cripple mags don't have the load assist button like the short 10s and standard cap longs do.

Definitely PMags, mostly 30s, a few 40s, and a couple of the D60 drums. Maybe a couple of the surefire magazines too but they’re really expensive for what you get.

In the event we get a freedom week like California AR Magazines would be well behind Glock and 10/22 magazines, and possibly other pistol magazines for guns I don’t even own.

Yet.

Right after I moved to NH I grabbed a bunch of Okay Industries 20/30 rounders from the now defunct 44Mag site, they were $9 or $10 shipped; hard to beat and they are great mags. I usually peek around for mags during Black Friday and whatnot. PSA has had deals where it's "x item plus 10 PMAGs" at a price where the mags are basically free, so I did one or two of those.
I've also got D&H mags; they have probably the nicest finish of aluminum mags (that I have). I still run my prebans from my MA days, too.

I slightly prefer PMAGs just because when loading rounds into them, the USGI ones can sometimes have sharper edges near the feed lips, and when loading up like 7-10 of them, it can get a tad unpleasant. I just find it's faster to load rounds into PMAGs as well, maybe less friction or something.

I have a Thermold and two C-Products steel ones. The Thermold is OK, but I haven't used the C-Products ones in forever, too hard to load them. They're actually 10 rounders, I should consider a karma. I've kept my 10 round PMAGs since they're handy for prone.

I have gen2 Pmags (loaded in ammo cans. 1wallyworld plastic can takes 1 combat load) and okay industries USGI mags, because they fit better into the chest rig. I'd consider Lancer for poly and Colt for USGI, but I don't need to fix what isn't broken.

Keep in mind that OKAY Industries made/makes most (if not all) Colt AR mags.

As much as I could order whatever I want right now and have them shipped to my new home in NH, I'm sticking with my old pre-ban 20 rd mags. I'd be happy to part with most of my 30 rd pre-ban mags, even the ones with newer springs/followers. 30 rd mags seem to get in my way when shooting.

A good friend runs a SWAT team for DHS and they run P-Mags. BUT he told me that they are forbidden to carry the ones they use at the range. Apparently they aren't convinced about the reliability of the plastic feed lips when used frequently for practice. Something to keep in mind.

A good friend runs a SWAT team for DHS and they run P-Mags. BUT he told me that they are forbidden to carry the ones they use at the range. Apparently they aren't convinced about the reliability of the plastic feed lips when used frequently for practice. Something to keep in mind.

this is one reason the lancers are so popular. with the steel reinforcements the feed lips do not fatigue over time. with the P-mags, a full magazine puts outward pressure on the lips. there's debate as to whether this leads to failure but I am convinced it does because: 1) enough people have reported it and 2) Magpul provides the magazine cover to remove tension from the lips. the snap-on cover puts downward pressure on the rounds and one can see the lips squeeze back inwards when the cap is applied. my understanding is the lancers can be left loaded indefinitely. the lancers also look straight sexy when fully loaded.

As much as I could order whatever I want right now and have them shipped to my new home in NH, I'm sticking with my old pre-ban 20 rd mags. I'd be happy to part with most of my 30 rd pre-ban mags, even the ones with newer springs/followers. 30 rd mags seem to get in my way when shooting.

I've come to love the 20 rounders, they seem to be the Goldilocks zone of increased capacity without causing annoyance when prone or using a rest. Plus in my M16A1 clone, they just look correct.

I'm bringing one of my ARs as a backup to an Appleseed next weekend, and I'll be bringing some 10 rounders from my MA days plus a 20 rounder and maybe one 30.

I'd not go too deep in AR's because I've already got a ton of them.

I'd go FLIPPING YUGE-DEEP on G19 mags. Like, over-freaking-night. Clean out Brownells. Not that I EVER load more than 5 at the range, but, to quote Good Will Hunting, "because F them." Don't tell me I can't have something and expect me not to WANT said something.

I'd also get a 12rd mag or seven for my P365. And hicaps for any other neutered pistol (P320, etc.,).

I've never had an issue with std AR mags with Magpul followers. I've watched a few online videos pro and con of PMAGS recently - honestly I don't know if I'd bother one way or the other.

I'd be too busy shopping for cool rifles that don't have preban-flavored standard capacity mag options to worry about buying even more AR mags.

p mags work, seem to be very durable. for both ar and ak platforms. i even wished they made them for ar's chambered in 7.62x39.

i may be mis-remembering this so maybe accuracy is off, didn't the military allow the guys to use their own private purchase p mags in the field, then retracted that and forbade their use, and now being allowed again with the marines, or army, now actually buying and issuing them to their raider and/or special forces units? i seem to remember reading that sometime ago. if true, good enough for me.

Agree, the 20 usgi are my favorite as well.
The only mags that failed me however were 30rnd thermolds.
The lips melted at the top, junked them ,

I have found All the usgi mags can easily be rebuilt if the lips or case are not damaged.

I'm with Coda. Love my USGI 20-rounders, Never failed... ever.

Oh, and they are Mass-legal RIGHT NOW...

Last edited:

No reason not to test out that new free state shipping address by refreshing those 20-rounders with some new stock form the same people that probably made your pre-bans 40 years ago.
For $11.49 a pop you could give a good number of tired old pre-bans an honorable retirement.

Primary Arms - Okay Industries SureFeed AR-15 Magazine 5.56 - 20rd - Black OK555-BLK-P

BTW I agree with you and have more 20s than 30s.

:emoji_tiger:

I have a bunch of preban, colt, 30 round, mags, Just because, but I prefer and use, Vietnam vintage, Colt, 20 round magazines almost exclusively, because they always work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom