• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Caliber for New England Deer Hunting?!

What is the Best Caliber for New England Deer Hunting?

Votes: 40 38.8%
  • 7mm-08

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 6.5 Creedmoor

Votes: 4 3.9%

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 53 51.5%

• Total voters
.44 mag delivered from a Ruger .44 mag semi-auto carbine for the win! Great, lightweight carry rifle and an ass kicker round inside of 100 yards (I like to walk the woods). Power line hunters need not apply…
What my dad used in VT in the late 60's. He shot some deer with it too.

Still have the gun....in near perfect condition with a same period Redfield 4 plex on it.

Since this post has just been exhumed, I think the .308 will give you more flexibility if you expand your hunting to include moose or bear. All three of the cartridges you specifically listed will work, but the .308 has a slightly larger frontal area and typically a heavier bullet weight. A lot of different cartridges will work.
I have .308, 18" barrelled Ruger American with a Vortex Scope that I always pick up when I go to NH. It just carries nice and is perfect for around there.

If I didn't turn my 6.5 Ruger American Predator into a long range gun with a Magpul Stock....I'd use that, its a bit heavy to carry though now all set up, and it has a FFP high power scope on it. Good for 1K yards, not good for NE deer woods, unless your sitting a field.

Now that I’m in NH and can use a rifle for deer….I stand by 16ga.

Single shot loaded with birdshot for when I flush a bird or rabbit. Slug in the pocket in case I see a deer. More likely to see a yeti.

Looking for a decent SxS so I’d have a quick option of shot or slug.

.500 nitro express. go big or stay out of new england! end of story.
I would hunt up here with an open sighted double rifle.......maybe not in 500 NE...but one in 7mm ish would be nice.

Of course I'd have to sell all my guns to fund it! Fricking double rifles are huge$$

Until then I have a Ruger #1 in 06.......another one of my Dad's favorites.......old man probably shot it 10 times....LOL!! Its the king of safe queens.

I use a Ruger #1A in 35 Whelen. Or a bolt rifle in whatever caliber is closest to hand.

I always hear people say "oh, you got to have a semi auto, pump, or lever gun to hunt the woods". It never made any sense to me because you're lucky if you get one shot, so you better make it good. Your second or third quick shotisn't going to be any better.

I use a Ruger #1A in 35 Whelen. Or a bolt rifle in whatever caliber is closest to hand.

I always hear people say "oh, you got to have a semi auto, pump, or lever gun to hunt the woods". It never made any sense to me because you're lucky if you get one shot, so you better make it good. Your second or third quick shotisn't going to be any better.
Agree 100%. Single shots handle way better, are typically shorter and way lighter than a comparable barreled bolt, pump or semi. You can also carry whatever type of bullet style you want without caring for it fitting in the magazine, feeding weird or being dangerous in a tube mag.

Additionally, when someone hears one shot, they will assume you've connected. When you hear 3, 4 or 5 shots; you start thinking that there is an animal in that direction that is running from the noise.

I think I've connected once with a follow up shot when hunting. Pointless to carry more.

And a single shot is just somehow classy. It makes you look competent, whether you are or not.

Your first shot is 95% of the time the best....from a stand anyway. Plus when you know you have one shot only, it becomes more like bowhunter thinking....you wait for a good shot or you don't take it.

I can think of only one time I shot and hit better with the second shot.......thats when I shot at a deer, and didn't notice the tree right over his vitals and hit it solid............and as he lept away broadside I centerpunched him with the second shot. Had I a single shot, or that day the deer would have gotten away.

Of course if I had a single shot with a scope I would have seen the tree most likely and avoided it.

Now that I’m in NH and can use a rifle for deer….I stand by 16ga.

Single shot loaded with birdshot for when I flush a bird or rabbit. Slug in the pocket in case I see a deer. More likely to see a yeti.

Looking for a decent SxS so I’d have a quick option of shot or slug.
9E59A224-2A09-4571-BB27-4559AE285AF3.jpeg
30-30 and 20 gauge like you said more likely to see a bird then deer

300 Savage in a Savage Model 99 still tugs at my heart, but as a practical mater if I could have one rifle? Winchester M70 fwt Pre-64 “aught six”(30.06 Spfld)
My two cents

.45/70 government when in the thick brush (Marlin 1895)
.308 when overlooking open space (fields, etc) (Winchester Model 70)
12 gauge rifled barrel with sabot rounds anywhere (Gotta love my Ithaca deerslayer)

Point of order
You can have it in mass you just can't hunt with it.
Further point of order.....you can't legally hunt deer with it in MA. Except on DJ Brad's land its allowed for all spotted fawns or any deer above 40 pounds 24/7, 365. Up to and including .700 Nitro Express.

You can hunt bear, coyotes and a lot of other things with it in MA.

MA is retarded.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom