best cases for reloads

paul73

NES Member
So, I`ve got all my storage optimized for MTM boxes and crates. Means .223 goes to into small 100rd blue mtm box 17, all larger rounds go into a 100rd medium grey rm-100 box. those boxes then stack into crates.
it all nice and dandy, and works ok EXCEPT they are a bit large. it is useful and convenient at the range, but you quickly run out of space if you want to pump out enough loads.

so i wonder - are there other storage solutions out there except of MTM? as i do not think i saw any. and do not want to begin with ziploc bags, as with sharp tip bullets they rip and overall it is just too messy.

specifically it would be nice to find something for .223, as i got shitload of brass for it, and was thinking to convert at least a 1k of that brass into loads, but, got nowhere to store it now, as out of boxes and crates as well. tried looking around for blank cartridge boxes - saw nothing good. any ideas? i`ve got ziploc bags, of course, but it would suck. i can get a 30cal plastic can and throw bulk rounds in it, but it would also suck. ideally, it would be nice to get something may be even paper disposable to keep `em in 20 or 50 rd packs, for storage, so it would be easily labeled.
is there anything like that for sale?

If it’s not precision ammo it goes in plastic ammo can in bulk. Precision/specialty hunting stuff gets either 50 or 100 round MTM boxes. Back in the day Wally World sold the Plano “30 Cal” cans for $5 a can. I got 30 or so. They are sorted by caliber. Marked either “dirty”, “clean”, “resized + (un)primed”, and loaded which is just marked with the caliber itself. The markings are done on painters tape so I can adjust what the can is used for accordingly. I also have a couple full “homer” buckets with sorted dirty brass, and one with mixed range that I pick up.

No need to get complicated or spend a lot on cases.

These are pretty nice for bulk.

If it’s not precision ammo it goes in plastic ammo can in bulk. Precision/specialty hunting stuff gets either 50 or 100 round MTM boxes. Back in the day Wally World sold the Plano “30 Cal” cans for $5 a can. I got 30 or so. They are sorted by caliber. Marked either “dirty”, “clean”, “resized + (un)primed”, and loaded which is just marked with the caliber itself. The markings are done on painters tape so I can adjust what the can is used for accordingly. I also have a couple full “homer” buckets with sorted dirty brass, and one with mixed range that I pick up.

No need to get complicated or spend a lot on cases.

These are pretty nice for bulk.
yeah, that is what i kinda thought of too... it just stops me as i have enough of 50cal metal cans i can potentially free up and just pour reloads in there as well.
but i agree it is a clean enough solution.

all my loads are precision loads. :) sounds pretentious, but they really are, so i am trying to keep them properly. the .223 batches i make shoots like this at a 100, group of 10 down there.
and it reminds me i need to re-adjust the scope back to proper zero.

1661435783637.png

Agree on the post above, if you're looking for more capacity for rifle reloads then .30 or .50 cal ammo cans with soft padded sides would do the trick. You'd have to add the foam for the sides yourself, but I wouldn't put reloads right on the bare metal to get dinged up.

As for pistols, there is Plano, I have a couple of those and I do like them, they just don't stack up as well as the MTM's do. Also, for any small batch loads or test loads I am loving the the MTM wallet containers. Gonna buy some more pretty soon too.

250012.jpg

These fit nicely into an ammo can (8 boxes per can) and are pretty cheap.

Edit: The .223 ones fit nicely in an ammo can. Not sure about the other calibers.

+1 for the MTM ammo crates. I like the mini size that comes in a 5 pack. It’s large enough to store “bulk” but small enough where you can toss one full of 9 in the range bag and not need a set of wheels to move it around.

Also these are pretty cool. They don’t use inner trays so it’s a very compact and inexpensive storage solution

Depends ...

1. Black Powder reloads, I put them in an MTM box inside a ziploc bag with a silica gel bag.

2. 460 + 45/70 smokeless reloads ... MTM box. When I run out they go in a ziploc bag.

3. 45 ... ziploc bag. With a bag of silica gel.

4. 9mm ... bulk ammo can. With silica gel.

I got more brass than I will ever need or use at this point, I keep finding shit I forgot I had in all kinds of containers but the brass that I have that I intend to load gets put into baggies with labels I made up that have the date, whats been done to the cases, etc. I only do lot numbers and tracking on .223, 308, 6.5CM and 6.5 Grendel as those would be my "precision" loadings. It's way too much work to do that with everything else. I keep pistol brass in lots of 25, 50, and 100 and shoot them till a case splits or the pockets are too loose, then the entire lot goes into the scrap bucket.

I'm kinda spoiled in my gun room, I have upper cabinets and in them I have large blue bins, one or two for each caliber I shoot, 9mm and 45 may have two bins each but 35 Remington or 44/40 only get one. This is the stuff in circulation, as lots get discarded I grab another lot from storage in the shed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom