• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Gun for Home Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in puchasing a gun to use for home defense and would like some input from others. I've done some research and alot of places tell me shot gun type is the best but I would really like a hand gun, something on the smaller side, semi automatic or even would consider a small revolver as well if their ideal for home protecton.

Go for the shotgun in a handgun. I'm not sure if the Judge or the S&W governor are MA legal, but one of those with PDX ammo is probably the best choice as a compromise between firepower and size.

You are going to get all sorts of responses here, and many will back them up with very good reasons for why it is best.

Whatever you decide on, be sure it is something you are very proficient with. Practice with it often, and learn how to use it in the dark.

You are going to get all sorts of responses here, and many will back them up with very good reasons for why it is best.

Whatever you decide on, be sure it is something you are very proficient with. Practice with it often, and learn how to use it in the dark.
+1 and I would point you to a shotgun.

I am interested in puchasing a gun to use for home defense and would like some input from others. I've done some research and alot of places tell me shot gun type is the best but I would really like a hand gun, something on the smaller side, semi automatic or even would consider a small revolver as well if their ideal for home protecton.

What gun are you most accurate with?

Go for the shotgun in a handgun. I'm not sure if the Judge or the S&W governor are MA legal, but one of those with PDX ammo is probably the best choice as a compromise between firepower and size.

I don't know if I'd rely on a .410 handgun to stop a home invader.

Like others have said, you are going to get all sorts of different answers here. I would recommend a shotgun with low recoil 00

Like SJan said, whatever you choose make sure you practice with it

Personally, I keep my AR handy for things that go bump in the night. I like having 25-30 quick follow up shots due to big magazines, low recoil, and semi-auto operation. With a 16" barrel and a short stock, it's also handier than a shotgun.

Not to mention, 5.56 is actually least likely to over-penetrate through traditional building materials while still providing man-killing capabilities.

Any handgun is legal in MA.

That being said, to the OP, get a shotgun. Period.

Casey,
What do you have now?
~Matt

Remington SP-10

As the defender, you have some advantages over the intruder -- you don't have to carry your weapon of choice very far (nor conceal it), and you don't have to sneak around. So there's really no point to getting a small handgun for home defense. A smaller gun will be more difficult to aim and have more felt recoil.

When an intruder decides to ignore your warning and try to kick in your bedroom door, you want to have a Remington SP-10 Magnum and a really good pair of active electronic muffs. Downside: practicing with 10ga magnum shells can get expensive!

A 12 gauge shotgun (Rem 870 or Mossberg 590) is a great HD firearm, but the downside is it requires two hand operation. You can mount a tactical flashlight and put a pistol grip on it, which helps, but it can still be challenging to move through a house in the dark.

A revolver is dead reliable, but limited in capacity and slow to reload.

A semi auto pistol does run a higher risk of malfunction, but there are plenty of very reliable options out there. Many, especially of the polymer variety, have rails to attach lights & lasers (though some pros would argue a frame mounted light makes
you a target, and requires you to cover everything you want to illuminate ).

I suppose the bottom line is, what gun are you the most comfortable & effective with? Only hits count in a gun fight.

I would say Rem 870 but since you want a hand gun I would suggest a quality .357 like Colt, S&W, Ruger exc. and you can practice with .38s.

I haven't really fired any shotguns thats why I don't really want to go that route and would like to stay with a decent easy to handle hand gun.

I don't have any guns currently and have spent most of my time firing with friends at a club using their. 22's,9mm, and some small revolvers. I seem to be pretty equal handling all of those

Last edited:
Remember as my father always told me. You own a pistol to protect yourself, a shotgun to protect your home, and a rifle to protect you country. Get a shotgun mossberg 500 (12ga) and use your handgun as a backup.

Yeah some many people believe in the shot guns I mean I'm sure if I bought one I could easily practice and become proficient with it I've just never fired one before. And to fend off intruders I think everyone would be scared off when you 'cock' the barrel.

12 gauge remington 870. period. no flashlights, no lasers, no thermal imagery... when will you have to move around the house when an intruder is inside? maybe move from your bedroom door to meet him at the top of the stairs? maybe. but if its me, im not gonna play SWAT, i am camping out at a bottleneck between him and my family and waiting silently for him to come into the kill zone.

"MA Legal" is a big misnomer. Both guns are legal for us to own. Whether an FFL can actually transfer them to you...well, we know the process to find out.

Personally, I keep my AR handy for things that go bump in the night. I like having 25-30 quick follow up shots due to big magazines, low recoil, and semi-auto operation. With a 16" barrel and a short stock, it's also handier than a shotgun.

Not to mention, 5.56 is actually least likely to over-penetrate through traditional building materials while still providing man-killing capabilities.

This

24 posts to bring up the sound of a shotgun in a HD gun thread. You guys are slacking. [laugh]

In all seriousness, AR or high capacity pistol that you can handle well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom