• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Lever action rifle in 44 mag

I tried searching through the the forums for anything on this.. Not much there. Same goes for Googling this.
I've looked at the Marlin and the Winchester(1892)... Does anybody have any specific loves and or hates?
I'm stuck in MA, so any of the 14 round tube mag ones are right out..

Many thanks!

I like the feel of the Henry, I just don't care for the front fed tube magazine. I prefer the side fed, as it's capable of being "topped off".

Look at Uberti too. I shoot cowboy action and use an 1860 Henry, you can get parts, springs and can short stoke them. Great rifles. 1866 in full brass is the sexiest rifle in my opinion.

I also have Rossi '92, not as nice, but can be worked to make it nice. Fun rifles just the same though.

Kyle

What will it be used for? Do you want a rifle,short rifle or carbine? I have a model 92 trappers model short rifle with octagonal barrel and crescent buttplateThe difference between a short rifle and a carbine is a short rifle has a forend cap and the carbine has a barrel band. The short rifle can also be had with a crescent buttplate. The carbines curved buttplate is not a crescent buttplate. Either can also have a straight shotgun buttplate. Carbines have round barrels and rifles can have round or octagonal.

If you choose Marlin, look for one with the JM stamp, made in CT. The newer ones built by Remington have had QC problems. The Henrys are good rifles. Winchester made the Trapper, with a 16" barrel.

I own a good number of lever guns and the Browning 92 would be my first choice.
I also have a Rossi R92, 16" stainless in .44 mag and I'm very impressed with it, for the money it's probably the best one out there right now.
However, Rossi quality can be hit or miss, I've had crappy ones and really good ones. Their .44's tend to be less problematic than the .357's.
Also, I'd go with a 92 action over a 94 (Winchester) any day, smoother and ergonomically easier to shoot fast.
Don't overlook the Marlin 94 either, excellent rifle and side eject, but more expensive.

I have an old 94 in .30/30 and it works fine. I had one in .44 magnum and it didn't cycle very well. I suspect the long action of the 94 is better suited to long rifle cartridges than short pistol cartridges. The Browning B92 is a great rifle and I should never have sold mine. The B92, like some of the Marlins is rifled with about a dozen grooves. it's supposed to improve accuracy with jacketed bullets. It isn't very good with swaged lead bullets. I think the newer Marlins went back to the Ballard style rifling with about 6 grooves to shoot better with lead.

If you choose Marlin, look for one with the JM stamp, made in CT. The newer ones built by Remington have had QC problems. The Henrys are good rifles. Winchester made the Trapper, with a 16" barrel.

I bought an NIB "Remlin" 1894 in Jan. and the rifle has no QC problems.

G&A had a review of the 1894 and Remington reported what they did to address the QC issues

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/marlin-1894-review/

16 posts so far and not one vote for a Winchester 94? huh?

The OP is asking what's the best lever action in .44 mag, IMHO, it's not the Winchester 94, there are better choices.

I have an old 94 in .30/30 and it works fine. I had one in .44 magnum and it didn't cycle very well. I suspect the long action of the 94 is better suited to long rifle cartridges than short pistol cartridges.

This^

Many thanks folks!!! I'll start perusing the for sale ads. I think I'll look for the Marlin or Rossi. I'll take a look at the henry as well.. I figured the collection of folks on here would have people with experience with these.. I wanted a lever gun as a companion to my Anaconda. My first, and favorite 44 mag.
Thanks again!!!!!
DrB.

Back
Top Bottom