Best MA-compliant Government Frame 1911?

If I ever get into 1911s, and that's a big if considering I've shot and handled plenty but have never had the urge to buy one, I would want to do an 80% build or at least assemble one from a frame. I don't see the point of buying one anymore when the aftermarket is so huge. Yeah, I would need a lot of help. No, it wouldn't be cheap.

But. I'm not the OP. So, I digress.

I've taken a slightly different approach that has been really effective for me. I purchase a 1911 that is really close to what I want and have it modified and hand fit. For the last twenty or so years I have been working with Dave Santurri. He has done some really nice guns for me. In terms of 1911s, the first one he did is a '44 USGI Colt frame that was screwed up. He fixed the screw ups and put a Caspian slide on with Kart NM barrel. Twenty years and alot of rounds later, the gun shoots incredibly. The last 1911 was a new Colt GCNM - all the plastic parts came up, beavertail safety, new thumb safety, everything hand fit with a trigger job, fit the barrel correctly, and tightened up the frame/slide. The gun is exactly what I want, was completed quickly, and the modifications were reasonably priced. If you're curious, the purpose of GCNM rework was to take the USGI out of circulation - a little too attached to the USGI if something happened to it.

Back
Top Bottom