Best option shotgun injured shoulder advice

Hey there NES,

So I blew out my shoulder about year and half ago dislocated my right shoulder and broke it sport accident. I am a right dominate and righty in general and I am looking for an option for both home self defense and range long gun. I think a 12 gauge would not be a good idea and looking at possibly a 20 gauge as an option but also open to other ideas if it would make a good home defense firearm. I live in Mass and I don't believe 18.5 inch barrels are legal I could be wrong I will check into it. Any thoughts of a good option?

Thanks all

What rifle calibers can you enjoy shooting? 20 gauge is an option for a defensive shotgun. The only other contender would be a .410 and that may be inadequate.

Hey there NES,

So I blew out my shoulder about year and half ago dislocated my right shoulder and broke it sport accident. I am a right dominate and righty in general and I am looking for an option for both home self defense and range long gun. I think a 12 gauge would not be a good idea and looking at possibly a 20 gauge as an option but also open to other ideas if it would make a good home defense firearm. I live in Mass and I don't believe 18.5 inch barrels are legal I could be wrong I will check into it. Any thoughts of a good option?

Thanks all
Another vote to consider a carbine.

18.5" barrels are absolutely legal in MA.

Shotgun seems like a poor choice for all sorts of reasons. I would vote for M1 carbine, practically zero recoil, preban 15 and 30 rd mags easy to find and same energy at 100 yards as a 357 magnum pistol
has leaving the barrel.

The others have chimed in about HD. For the range...what do you mean? Trap? Skeet? Three-gun?

If you're "healed" ( in quotes, because 25+ years ago, I broke my right shoulder, and, ntheow, from time to time, it's bad), then if it's Trap or Skeet, I find, early in the season, that unaccustomed exercise is more of an issue than the recoil. That said, I have use a semi-auto that fits me.

If you belong to a Club, see if you can try on a few shotties from the other shooters, and see how you do.

thanks all awesome advice I appreciate it. I have two 9s a mp shield and p38 sig I love my shield actually after trying many others I still love my gen 1 shield as my go to and range gun but now wanting to try a long gun. I want it primarily as a home defense firearm i want to put a side saddle on it etc. range wise im not skeet shooting yet may just range shooting outside area.

Appeciate it. Happy shooting stay safe out there.

The others have chimed in about HD. For the range...what do you mean? Trap? Skeet? Three-gun?

If you're "healed" ( in quotes, because 25+ years ago, I broke my right shoulder, and, ntheow, from time to time, it's bad), then if it's Trap or Skeet, I find, early in the season, that unaccustomed exercise is more of an issue than the recoil. That said, I have use a semi-auto that fits me.

If you belong to a Club, see if you can try on a few shotties from the other shooters, and see how you do.

Re-read his post, he obviously wants a home defense shotgun with a short-ish barrel. Third and fourth sentences.

Hey there NES,

Thanks all
just remember unless your going lower in shotshell pay load the energy is the same in the same weight shotgun
A 1oz slug at 1350 fps in 12 or 20 shot from a 9lb shotgun will have the same energy coming into your shoulder.

I also have this thing in my head if you ever have to draw for defense (especially with shouldered firearms) you will forget all about your injured shoulder and do what ever your brain has the most reactive memory stuck in it.

That said my "HD" shotgun is a 870 20g youth model.

thanks all awesome advice I appreciate it. I have two 9s a mp shield and p38 sig I love my shield actually after trying many others I still love my gen 1 shield but now wanting to try a long gun.

Appeciate it. Happy shooting stay safe out there.

You might want to start by renting a 9x19 AR or some other PCC at an indoor pay range, preferably not a blowback. Blowback guns have more perceived recoil because of the heavy bolt. If you can handle a 9x19 carbine, you can either get that and have ammo compatibility with your handguns or just get a .223. I would suggest the .223.

just remember unless your going lower in shotshell pay load the energy is the same in the same weight shotgun
A 1oz slug at 1350 fps in 12 or 20 shot from a 9lb shotgun will have the same energy coming into your shoulder.

I also have this thing in my head if you ever have to draw for defense (especially with shouldered firearms) you will forget all about your injured shoulder and do what ever your brain has the most reactive memory stuck in it.

That said my "HD" shotgun is a 870 20g youth model.
do you have rem 870 express that is one im gonna take a look at.

If it has to be a shotgun, I'd see what's available in a semi auto 28 gauge. If a rifle will do, then a pistol caliber carbine or a .223/5.56 mm.

Hey there NES,

Thanks all
Shoot lefty. Get a 12GA.

Eye dominance doesnt matter when you close one eye. Unless you only shoot with both eyes open.

If you’re that worried about your shoulder not being up to snuff, and insist on still using a 12G, what is your plan B going to be if you’ve already fired and re-injured your shoulder and now have to go hands on with one arm down?

There’s a lot more thought that needs to go into your home defense plan than just using the biggest round you can handle (or not).

Just giving you something to think about.
For me the best HD, quickest and easiest will always be my 1911 w/a Tac light.

If the world keeps going haywire then you can always just open your closet and bring out the distance stuff (AR’s/AK’s etc) to try and keep them at bay before they get to your house.

I think a lot of people who are not trained in CQB are not doing themselves any favors by thinking that a long gun is a better option in a home with lots of walls/angles/hallways/staircases etc.

A good pistol is much easier to wield in a house for the untrained, max distance might be 10yrds? it’s easier to stuff back into your pants if you need to go hands on, and far less apt to have someone grab onto all that added size/length and begin a struggle for the weapon, unless you’re fully prepared mentally and physically to kill anything that comes near you, some people will hesitate and the threat will close on you quickly.

This is solely my opinion and others will have theirs to add.

Another vote to consider a carbine.

18.5" barrels are absolutely legal in MA.
you get pretty little recoil in an AR shooting .223.

I suppose you could get the barrel ported to reduce felt recoil even more. And a heavy barrel (if you can hold it) will reduce recoil just from the added mass.

They make hunting jackets with a big pad where the butt hits your shoulder, and those do distribute the force pretty well

If you’re that worried about your shoulder not being up to snuff, and insist on still using a 12G, what is your plan B going to be if you’ve already fired and re-injured your shoulder and now have to go hands on with one arm down?

There’s a lot more thought that needs to go into your home defense plan than just using the biggest round you can handle (or not).

Just giving you something to think about.
For me the best HD, quickest and easiest will always be my 1911 w/a Tac light.

If the world keeps going haywire then you can always just open your closet and bring out the distance stuff (AR’s/AK’s etc) to try and keep them at bay before they get to your house.

I think a lot of people who are not trained in CQB are not doing themselves any favors by thinking that a long gun is a better option in a home with lots of walls/angles/hallways/staircases etc.

A good pistol is much easier to wield in a house for the untrained, max distance might be 10yrds? it’s easier to stuff back into your pants if you need to go hands on, and far less apt to have someone grab onto all that added size/length and begin a struggle for the weapon, unless you’re fully prepared mentally and physically to kill anything that comes near you, some people will hesitate and the threat will close on you quickly.

This is solely my opinion and others will have theirs to add.
I don't believe in tac lights or lasers for that matter because in my opinion they see both ways. I don't want someone entering my home and seeing where I am firing from ;).

I don't believe in tac lights or lasers for that matter because in my opinion they see both ways. I don't want someone entering my home and seeing where I am firing from ;).

So, you’re telling me the entire military machine is wrong then for using lights, for like the last 30+years? I don’t mean this disrespectfully but that statement alone shows your lack of experience, which was my point all along to get you thinking more.

So, you’re telling me the entire military machine is wrong then for using lights, for like the last 30+years? I don’t mean this disrespectfully but that statement alone shows your lack of experience, which was my point all along to get you thinking more.
Do you have a tac light and laser or just light? I was looking at the crimson trace for my shield but fed firearms instructor I know told me to never get one. Learn to shoot not rely on the laser.

If you have the weapon drawn long enough with the light or laser on for the perpetrator to see, you missed or took too long to fire.

Do you have a tac light and laser or just light? I was looking at the crimson trace for my shield but firearms instructor I know told me to never get one.

I have lights and I have light/laser combos and the experience and training to use one, both or none, situation dictates as always. It’s not the tool, it’s the training on how and when to use it properly that matters. Apparently your instructor didn’t have the knowledge or experience to understand that.

Do you have a tac light and laser or just light? I was looking at the crimson trace for my shield but fed firearms instructor I know told me to never get one. Learn to shoot not rely on the laser.
Lasers are not terribly useful in most circumstances.
Lights are awesome.
He recommended a light, not a laser.

Did you ever try pointing one of those at yourself in a dark room?

Did you ever try pointing one of those at yourself in a dark room?
This. If it's dark enough that a light would be useful, the person looking at it is going to be at least slightly blinded and therefore unable to aim well, while the wielder has better vision and consequently is able to aim better, faster. With the 2-300+ and higher lumen lights available I think the advantage swings pretty dramatically towards the the light-wielder.

Back
Top Bottom