Best place for a BFSC class?

Any suggestions on a good place in the Boston metro area to take a BFSC course? I'm up for LTC renewal, am active-duty stationed away from MA, and my town requires a course taken within the last year. Any places out there that anyone would suggest? Trying to save some money, I know some instructors charge less than the usual $100, but I'm also limited in when I can travel up there to retake the course.

Any suggestions on a good place in the Boston metro area to take a BFSC course? I'm up for LTC renewal, am active-duty stationed away from MA, and my town requires a course taken within the last year. Any places out there that anyone would suggest? Trying to save some money, I know some instructors charge less than the usual $100, but I'm also limited in when I can travel up there to retake the course.

The right answer in your case is NOPLACE! I'll save you the trip and the cost/time of any course!

MGL C. 140 S. 131 (i)
A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee's date of birth occurring not less than 5 years but not more than 6 years from the date of issue, except that if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid for a period of 90 days beyond the stated expiration date on the license, unless the application for renewal is denied. If the licensee is on active duty with the armed forces of the United States on the expiration date of his license, the license shall remain valid until the licensee is released from active duty and for a period of not less than 90 days following such release.

I recommend that you notify FRB and the Licensing Officer in your town that you are on active duty and quote the statute (to your LO) that you will not be renewing until you leave active duty and that your LTC shall remain valid during all of that time. This law change took effect in 2011. Here's Glidden's notes on the matter in the 23rd Ed. of his book (2014):

17. Military Extension: Military personnel who had a valid LTC on active duty and that license subsequently expired while they were still on active duty, now will have their license continue to be valid as long as they remain on active duty. Conceivably, a six-year license could be valid for 7, 8, 9, 10 years or more under this change. In addition, the service member who leaves active duty will have 90 days to renew his license (providing it was active at some point while he was on active duty).

And thank you for your service!

I dare say that probably only a handful of instructors or LOs/Chiefs even know the info I posted above!! Sad fact.

I didn't even know that myself. I just emailed the PD asking about some of their requirements, but when they reply I'll ask about that as well. I have at the very least 8.5 years left on active duty.

I didn't even know that myself. I just emailed the PD asking about some of their requirements, but when they reply I'll ask about that as well. I have at the very least 8.5 years left on active duty.

Don't ASK them, TELL them! Knee-pads not required. It is NOT an option for the PD to "grant you", it's the law!

And if they give you any crap about it, forward that info to Comm2A! In fact I'd tell them about any PD that "demands" a new cert every time you renew. I'm an instructor but dislike getting business that way due to PDs gouging applicants.

Plus chapter 284 of the 2014 Act states sctive duty members no longer need to summit a safety certificate. So that PD is wrong on that as well. (Instructor here)

The problem is that many PDs are willfully ignorant. They intentionally violate the law in order to make it most difficult, painful and expensive for the applicants plus hoping that they will "just go away"!

Back
Top Bottom