• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best place to buy powder in Mass

Care to narrow it down? Massachusetts is a wide place.
Pistol, shotgun, or rifle?

If you are on or near the South Shore, Outback Arms in Plympton always stocks a wide variety of powders, and Hunters Trading Post in Weymouth is not traditionally a reloading shop but has some powder too.

Surprised to hear that Cabelas had a limited supply on powder. Everytime I stop by they are stocked with various powders.

With the 3 calibers you listed, H110/Win 296 and HP-38/Win 231/Titegroup would be perfect. They always have those powders when I stop by.

Or are there particular powders you're looking for?

Anything in particular you need? I have a pound of HP38 I can live without having to pack as well as some H110/296 and HS6 and CFE pistol.

From my experience Cabela's has been great on the powders. Primers are hit and miss.

Just starting my venture into reloading. I want to start with bullseye, 2400 and power pistol. Sounds like I need to just frequent Cabelas a bit more often.

I always liked Bullseye but have not seen in stock anywhere recently. There are other options, and you will normally find several of those good options at Cabelas. I may have seen 2400 there. I don't recall seeing Power Pistol. You might luck out and see something at Gun Parlor or Pullman, but those are hit and miss.

I have had good luck with CFE Pistol as a substitute for Bullseye. I used it to load .38 Spl wadcutters and won a bullseye (25 yard) competition with those loads. It's not a direct substitute but close enough- of course you need to pay attention to the recommended loads.

I have a pound of Bullseye I could sell you. I have never seen Bullseye at Cabelas and I am there often. There are a lot of places on line but unless you buy quantity the Hazmat fee is brutal. If you are interested PM me I have a few extra pounds of different pistol powders.
Bobs in Webster has some powder usually.
I am in Worcester as well

if you want to drive to Westport, Shooting Supply is a reloader's paradise. Get on the mailing list so you know when the powders arrive, and which ones.

God luck finding 2400. I've got a bunch that I've managed to find online a couple years ago. But bullseye and PP shouldn't be terribly hard to find. I have seen it at Cabelas - either the Berlin or Hartford store.

This gun shop has all the powders you want but far from Worcester
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...un-Powder-List-at-SHOOTING-SUPPLY-Westport-MA

Edit: slap shot beat me to it.

not to stop at powder, mark has great deals on projectiles, dies, everything...and they're really nice.

Upped their game on guns lately too.

+1 for Shooting Supply in Westport
they often post on the dealers section of classifieds on NES

Scored a few great deals there recently.

D & L shooting supply, Warwick RI or Shooters supply in Hookset NH. Yes, not in MA as you requested, but good luck finding good supply locally.

As others mentioned Shooters supply in Westport MA. As you are in Worcester, better off driving to NH.

At Cabela's I've never seen Bullseye or Power Pistol. I have seen BE-86 and some other Alliant rifle powders. They typically do have Titegroup.

At Basspro in Foxboro I've seen Power Pistol and Bullseye.

Aren't the hazardous material fees cost prohibitive?

Not if you buy enough. The hazmat fee is $28.50 and shipping ranges from $10-$20 (depending on the total $ amount in your cart). So when you split it up over numerous pounds of powder and primers, it's not bad. It really doesn't take much to make it worthwhile.

I think my last order was like 10 pounds of powder and 10k primers.

My last order was 18lbs of powder and primers. Add about a buck each at dealer pricing and it gets cheap. I'd love to do a group buy or something.

Not if you buy enough. The hazmat fee is $28.50 and shipping ranges from $10-$20 (depending on the total $ amount in your cart). So when you split it up over numerous pounds of powder and primers, it's not bad. It really doesn't take much to make it worthwhile.

I think my last order was like 10 pounds of powder and 10k primers.
Figure about $250 for that order.

Retail markup + sales tax probably would generally at least equal to hazmat+shipping.

I've see the prices a huge gun shop in MA pays for powder and primers. The "wholesale prices" for a major stocking dealer are just about identical to what I can for order directly without using any connections. Even if a shop adds a modest 20% margin, they cannot be competitive with online vendors that deal directly with the public (multiple choices if you have a friend in a free state to accept delivery).

The "wholesale prices" for a major stocking dealer are just about identical to what I can for order directly without using any connections. Even if a shop adds a modest 20% margin, they cannot be competitive with online vendors that deal directly with the public (multiple choices if you have a friend in a free state to accept delivery).

Yep.

I pay 19.55 for H110/ 144 for 8lbs and $18 for CFE pistol. I imagine prices can be a little lower too but my wholesaler is good to me and let's me purchase without my FFL. I doubt there's any "profit" selling this stuff unless in large quantities. Even then it's a buck or two here and there. If any of you guys ever NEED something feel free to msg me and I can see what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom