• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

best powder manufacturer

who makes the best powders? across the board?
not just your one favorite load.

Personally liked vitavouri except for the price! most i tried were consistent and clean burning.

I used a lot of Hercules back in Scotland, 20+ years ago, that worked well also.

we were restricted to what we could get most of the time.

we always looked for IMR but could never seem to get the burning rate that we required.

What do you all think?

G

You need to see what powders are made where with in the powder companies . Not many "powder" companies make thier own powder and very little is made in the USA.
Look on the bottle where its made.

Hodgdon does not make powder. They just market it.
They seem to have a lot of powder from australia and canada.
IIRC hodgedon bought out GOEX powder the only manufacture of black powder in the USA.
So to muddy the waters more I believe the french own the powder plant in Australia.
Just a few places I can think of ....alliant tech. St marks, E.I., ADI, then theres some euro manufactures also. Like Lovex.
Crazy have fun trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
Hodgdon does not make powder. They just market it.
They seem to have a lot of powder from australia and canada.
IIRC hodgedon bought out GOEX powder the only manufacture of black powder in the USA.
So to muddy the waters more I believe the french own the powder plant in Australia.
Just a few places I can think of ....alliant tech. St marks, E.I., ADI, then theres some euro manufactures also. Like Lovex.
Crazy have fun trying to figure it out.

Jeez...

Way to tell OP that Santa isn't real, LOL!

You forgot one- I interviewed with these guys back in the day. I lived ~35 minutes from Accurate. http://www.aesys.biz/about/ . Yeah, the town's name really is Bucksnort.

I'm sure most of the these companies do some horse trading to flesh out their product portfolios. Yeah, if there was a direct source for bulk Varget I'd buy as much as I could legally store. I bet it's pretty cheap in industrial quantities.

Just to keep things simple, I'll stick by my original answer: Hodgdon.

Jeez...

Way to tell OP that Santa isn't real, LOL!

You forgot one- I interviewed with these guys back in the day. I lived ~35 minutes from Accurate. http://www.aesys.biz/about/ . Yeah, the town's name really is Bucksnort.

I'm sure most of the these companies do some horse trading to flesh out their product portfolios. Yeah, if there was a direct source for bulk Varget I'd buy as much as I could legally store. I bet it's pretty cheap in industrial quantities.

Just to keep things simple, I'll stick by my original answer: Hodgdon.
i will add with the most used powders I use
Varget
Alliant 2400
H4895
Clays
Trailboss.
TAC

I tend to use the Varget and the IMRs. Maybe I'm partial to the IMRs since it's what the old man has used, until I converted him to Varget.

With the last sale from a certain vendor, I have 7 lbs of various Accurate powders that I'm starting to go through. First pistol rounds have used Accurate #7 and first 8mm rounds have used I think 2520, would need to double check. Seems like they might be a bit more prone to static cling.

All around for me it's hard to beat Varget, seems like there's a load for just about everything with it. I think I might save up and get 8 more lbs. I have some CFE 223 and it looks cool and is pretty easy to measure. I just haven't really done much with it since I'm basically hoarding all my 223 supplies while factory ammo is so cheap.

I do need to learn some powders for pistol, though, since I am just starting out there. Debating on whether to add 9mm Mak dies, but I am still working the kinks out of 9x19.

I haven't reloaded in years, but I used to love Accurate when it first came out. Used some IMR before that, with a few Hercules (Blue Dot, Green Dot?). Looked into reloading a few years ago and Accurate was almost non-existent in NH. Ended up not getting back into it due to the time and hassle.

who makes the best powders? across the board?
not just your one favorite load.

Personally liked vitavouri except for the price! most i tried were consistent and clean burning.

I used a lot of Hercules back in Scotland, 20+ years ago, that worked well also.

we were restricted to what we could get most of the time.

we always looked for IMR but could never seem to get the burning rate that we required.

What do you all think?

G

Kind of a loaded question.

Back
Top Bottom