• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Practices: Chamber by slide release, pull back, or slingshot?

Chambering

• Total voters

Goliathan

NES Member
So what's the best way, and how do you train?

- Slide release lever is self-explanatory, obviously only works from slide lock

- Hand-over the slide pull back and release

- Slingshot with thumb and forefinger

Depends. Which hand are you using? Does your gun have a slide release at all? If so is it ambi? Are you wearing gloves? Are your hands really cold?

Lot of factors in there.

The last time I tried to post this, the NES database crashed...

...good luck, everybody else!

Depends on the gun. Read the manual. ...

^This.

Can't slingshot a stock Ruger Mk I[I[22/45]].

And if you don't pull back on the bolt before you thumb its release,
you wear the bolt stop and the bolt (cheap, not cheap; respectively).

Apparently, the Nambu type 14 bolt had no bolt stop assembly, and
was locked directly by the mag follower.

So charging the chamber from a non-empty magazine required racking the (closed) bolt, by your favorite method of grasping the bolt knob (pinch, overhand, teeth, ...).

But maybe you meant the 1911.

I rack the slide with a left hand carefully curled atop the slide
(keeping fingers out of the ejection port,
and palm arched above the rear sight),
pushing the frame and slide towards each other.
(Poor upper body strength).

I drop the slide by thumb and forefinger slingshotting -
not by thumbing the release.

The above is not warranted to be Tacticool™.

I usually use the slide release but I'm trying to get in the habit of going hand over slide since in an actual defensive situation I'd rather rely less on fine motor skills and more on using larger muscle groups.

Hand over slide, unless it's either of my M&Ps. Both of those will release the slide every time I seat a magazine anyway.

Learn and vet all methods. What works best for you and the gun? Context dictates all. In my experience, the Personal Protection group typically relies on pulling the slide rearward and the Action Shooting Sports group typically suggests depressing the slide stop/lock/release. I suggest going with reliability followed by efficiency. Ergonomics should also be considered.

ALL of them. And I'll go a step further and say that you should be working strong side and weak side thumb to release slide. You should also be doing all of those methods in your weak hand.

PS. The gross motor skill thing is kool-aide of the highest order.

This x 15.

... Can't slingshot a stock Ruger Mk I[I[22/45]]. ...
Why not..?

The 22/45 bolt stop assembly comes from the factory with a teentsy mushroom-shaped detent "ball" backed up by an even teentsier spring:

2245_mark3_ssmod06.jpg

The detent protrudes aft from the knob, where it engages two divots in the aft side of the slot in which the knob moves up and down:

620-22-45-frame.jpg

(Pardon the aftermarket frame photo; it's clearer). I'm referring to the upper/left knob in that photo.

The bolt stop is bimodal - if it's down (unengaged), it stays down until an empty magazine's follower pushes it up (with authority), and the upper after corner of the stop's sheet metal catches a recoiling bolt's face, and keeps the bolt locked back from the empty chamber.

But once the bolt stop is up (engaged), it stays there even if the mag is removed, or replaced with a non-empty mag (thus submerging the follower so that it doesn't push up on the bolt stop).

Pulling back on the bolt slingshot-style doesn't disengage the bolt stop (make it drop), because the detent keeps it up. One must manually thumb the bolt stop down to disengage it from the bolt face, and let the bolt fly forward (to strip and chamber a round).

It's a tad kinder to pull back on the bolt before thumbing the bolt stop knob, so that the stop doesn't scrape the bolt face. The corner will round off before the bolt does, but when you're not in a rush, why grind the gears? (It's not as egregious as closing a wheelgun cylinder with a flick of the wrist, but still...)

Some people just rip out the detent and spring, and gravity allows the catch to drop if the bolt is slingshotted. Other people also grind a little "W" in the upper edge of the stop, and fit a segment of weak ballpoint pen spring over the central peak of the "W" to push the bolt stop down; not enough to overcome the mag spring, but enough to drop the stop quickly when the bolt is slingshotted. Other people buy aftermarket bolt stops that don't have an aft-facing detent, but have a similar up-facing plunger that keeps downpressure on the assembly, overcome only by the presence of an empty magazine's follower.

The vanilla Mk. II has a differently shaped bolt stop assembly, with the spring/plunger setup on the inside of the frame:

m3trig2.jpg

I thought it made the bolt stop bimodal, but I now see that it provides a down-force. So vanilla Mk. I[I]'s slingshot A-OK.

I am amazed that all of the shade tree gunsmith "slingshot mod" traffic on the Intarwebs is generated by 22/45 owners (who I expect are in the minority).

Thanks much for that question.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I thought it made the bolt stop bimodal, but I now see that it provides a down-force. So vanilla Mk. I[I]'s slingshot A-OK.

I am amazed that all of the shade tree gunsmith "slingshot mod" traffic on the Intarwebs is generated by 22/45 owners (who I expect are in the minority).

Yep, with my MkIII I have no problems using the slingshot method, which is why I asked. Interesting to know about the 22/45 though.

I usually use the slide release but I'm trying to get in the habit of going hand over slide since in an actual defensive situation I'd rather rely less on fine motor skills and more on using larger muscle groups.

android-poop-emoji.png

Oh, please, not the gross motor skills bushwa again.

The assertion by some of the cool kids instructors is that using your hand on the slide is a gross motor skill, while pressing down on the slide stop with your weak hand thumb is a fine motor skill. And since fine motor skills degrade when you are under an adrenaline rush, that you will screw up with the slide stop but not screw up using your hand on the slide.

There are some problems with this, however. First, they use pseudo-scientific jargon, in order to add credence to their theory, but they use it incorrectly. What is a gross motor skill versus a fine motor skill? The distinction between fine and gross motor skills comes from child development theory. Gross motor skills involve using your arms and legs. Using your fingers and/or hands is a fine motor skill. So both depressing the slide stop and grabbing slide are fine motor skills. The distinction between fine and gross motor skills does not apply to differentiate the two. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_motor_skill

Second, they assert that you will be able to hit the magazine release with your thumb and the trigger with your index finger, but you won't be able to hit the slide stop with your thumb. But they don't acknowledge that inconsistency in their argument.

Third, they assert that grabbing the slide is less error prone than depressing the slide stop. But, once again, they simply assert this without providing any evidence to support it. I've seen a master class shooter in IDPA have his hand slip off the slide twice while trying to reload his gun. He was not an inexperienced shooter. In contrast, I've never seen anyone miss the slide stop with their thumb.

Fourth, they ignore the fact that pulling back on the slide is 1/4 to 1/2 second slower than using the slide stop. If you are in a gunfight, you are in deep doodoo. If you are in a gunfight and run your gun dry, you are in even deeper doodoo, and that 1/4 to 1/2 second maybe the difference between life and death.

Try both methods. Do the following drill several times with a timer: from low ready, shoot two rounds, reload, shoot two rounds. Do it with both techniques and see which is faster and more reliable for you. If you have a gun with a generously sized slide stop in the correct location (e.g., 1911, HK), then the slide stop might be the best alternative. If you have a gun with a dinky slide stop (Glock standard slide stop), then you might want to replace it with a bigger slide stop (Glock extended slide stop) or pull back on the slide.

Both techniques work. Choose which one works best for you. But please don't repeat the gross motor skill bullcrap, because it is, in fact, a steaming pile of poo.

Last edited:
I just slam the mag in, works every time. I actually started doing this in IDPA and it worked great until it didn't load a round once. It's a hard habit to break.

I train with them all to some extent. Mostly hand over slide if I'm just shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALL of them. And I'll go a step further and say that you should be working strong side and weak side thumb to release slide. You should also be doing all of those methods in your weak hand.

PS. The gross motor skill thing is kool-aide of the highest order.

Are you saying that I shouldn't be grabbing the (probably really hot) barrel of my rifle like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a school of thought that says that if you use the slide release where possible you can get your sight picture faster, because you can chamber while bringing the gun up instead of having to chamber a round and then reestablish your grip...

There's a school of thought that says that if you use the slide release where possible you can get your sight picture faster, because you can chamber while bringing the gun up instead of having to chamber a round and then reestablish your grip...
Less wasted movement if you can send the slide forward while already bringing the gun up on target. I'm noticeably faster when using the slide lock with my strong side thumb.

The main issue time savings comes from less movement. When using the slide stop, you bring your left hand to the gun and hit the slide stop with your left thumb as you establish your grip.

In contrast, when pulling the slide, you have to 1) bring your left hand to the gun and grip the slide, 2) pull back on the slide and release it, 3) move your left hand forward to the gun again and establish your grip. That extra movement costs time.

My thinking is more along the lines of I'm a lefty, what will work on anything I own. The only pistols I have with ambi slide releases are two M&Ps, both of which trip the slide when a mag is reloaded anyway. Wish there were more pistols with ambi releases, I'm sure running them with the thumb is faster, too.

Hand over slide after dropping a round into the chamber. Popping in full mag after slide release.
However, on my wife's VP9, the slide release is high leverage so it is very easy to release the slide that was.

Hand over slide after dropping a round into the chamber. Popping in full mag after slide release.
However, on my wife's VP9, the slide release is high leverage so it is very easy to release the slide that was.

Are you suggesting that you chamber a round by dropping a loose round in through the ejection port? Don't do that.

Back
Top Bottom